21 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Thniking of Buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Carra
Argentina
flag msg tools
So i was considering buying this game, at least the deluxe edition. I was wondering if could suggest a couple of expansions since apparently you can combine all the expansions with each one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy them in numerical order. But if you want to step out of line, I would get Demented Dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

All the expansions are neat. They're particularly good in that each adds not just more cards and more jokes, not just new races and classes, but also entirely new game elements. That means the numbered expansions do build: you could throw in Munchkin 4 but it would have cards that refer to cards in Munchkin 2. That wouldn't hurt game play, you'd just ignore those, but it's no fun to have a weapon that's only usable by a cleric when there are no clerics in the game.

If starting from scratch I'd recommend getting the numbered expansions in order, since they build. The unnumbered expansions, like Munchkin Fairy Dust or Munchkin: Conan the Barbarian add new themed cards that are fun without expanding the rules, so you don't have to worry about the order. Munchkin 6: Demented Dungeons is one exception, I think you could add that at any time. It has double-sized cards that, well, you can read about it here on the 'geek, but you could add this at any time and have crazy new stuff happen without worrying about missing a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Carra
Argentina
flag msg tools
Ill check those out, what about the themed ones like Cthulhu or Zombies, can those be added to main game?

BTW Thanks for the reply. Not to shabby for a first thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Munchkin Zombies and Munchkin Cthulhu are different base games, not expansions for Munchkin. You *can* mix them, I've done this several times myself. But this does give you a weird game. Some people love having their Kung Fu and Superhero stuff thrown into the D&D dungeon game. Some people have gone so far as to take cards from, say, the wild west (good/bad munchkin), Star Munchkin, and Munchkin Fu and assemble Firefly Munchkin. Very imaginative, lots of fun, not necessarily for beginners.

Expansions pretty much need to go with their base game because of card dependencies. It's a little silly to have a card that gives a bonus to a type of character that's not in the game. Adding Munchkin Zombies 2 to Munchkin Cthulhu will work, it will be playable, but it won't give you the best Munchkin experience. Lots of cards will have nothing to do with anything else in the game, so you'll lose some cool card interactions.

Munchkinomicon and Fairy Dust can be aded to any Munchkin game, I'm pretty sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Carra
Argentina
flag msg tools
So the safer bet would be Munchkin Delux with Expansion 2 and 6 perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would be a very good startup set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup, that makes sense.

I just got Half Horse, Conan, and The Guild myself. I love the guild, so I can't wait to get those cards into a game.

My problem is that my Munchkin stuff is spread over the full life of the product, ten years now. So some of my cards have the old back, some the new, some are in color, most are not, I *think* I have exactly one of most of the promo cards, but I know I'm missing a couple and I hope I don't have doubles of anything weird. I'm tempted to start over, but I don't play often enough anymore. Maybe this summer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Carra
Argentina
flag msg tools
I dont know a mate tol me about a card called 3000 orcs...In have to play this game, just sounds absurd and hillarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The copy of Munchkin Deluxe I have says that it contains expansion set 2, so no need to buy that expansion. However, I can't find a confirmation of that on the 'net. I also recommend Demented Dungeons.

After that, I would recommend Chez Geek: Party Edition! For $30, you get the base game *and* the two expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nope, I don't think that's right. According to www.warehouse23.com Munchkin includes 168 cards, and Munchkin Deluxe includes 168 cards. Munchkin Deluxe adds the game board and six pawns, but no cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY JINKERSON
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great semi-expansion is Munchkinomicon. It introduces a notably different game mechanic and is wild cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Thinking (or Thniking) and playing Munchkin; sounds like a dangerous combination to me. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think half the reason that Munchkin gets a bad rep is because of the humor. People think once the humor is no longer funny, the game isn't fun. But it remains a good game system, humor or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
The copy of Munchkin Deluxe I have says that it contains expansion set 2, so no need to buy that expansion. However, I can't find a confirmation of that on the 'net.

Check the box. If it has a "Go" logo on it then your Deluxe is special. That edition DOES include base Munchkin and Munchkin 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good mix is to incorporate either one expansion and dungeons, or two expansions with no dungeons. Anything more than that can make the game drag if you have too many expansions in one deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Munchkin and Demented Dungeons. One of the dungeon cards refers to "Cheat" cards, which I have no idea about, so I guess it must be in one of the other expansions. We have been ignoring that dungeon card for now and picking another one if it gets picked.

I'm already wanting a more varied game so I'll be getting Muchkin 2 pretty soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just walk away. Verrrrry sloooowly. Once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

According to http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/cards.html there is one Cheat card in original Munchkin, plus one in Munchkin 2 (starting with the 11th printing), and another in Munchkin 3, etc.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
The Cheat! card allows you to carry (i.e., have in play) and use an Item you normally couldn't due to Class/Race/slot/etc. restrictions. In other words, a second piece of Headgear, a second Big item (for non-Dwarves), an Item that requires a Hand or two when your other two are full, or the Bow With Ribbons for non-Elves.

So check your original Munchkin again for that Cheat card. If it's missing, well, get a blank card and write "Cheat!" on it with a Sharpie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marked for Death and Reloaded! are two small, cheap expansions that are worthy purchases as well.

My friends really hate when I get the "Dark" modifier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, found the cheat card. Somehow it never came up in the 10 or so games we have played so far.

This game is very addictive, I can foresee owning most of the expansions by the end of the year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.