Popular Tags: [View All]
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the Top 10 if BookWormGeek (or LiteraryGeek or TheBookGeek or...) would be launched? What books would be untouchable? Will there be a ratingswar between the book equivalents of Agricola/Puerto Rico/Twilight Struggle?

My guess:

Top 10 on BookWormGeek:

1. The Hobbit
2. War and Peace
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. 1984
5. One of the Harry Potter books. Maybe even 2.
6. Hamlet
7. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
8. A Game of Thrones
9. Angels and Demons
10. To Kill a Mockingbird

Highest ranking books in my own language:

34. Het Achterhuis / The Diary of Anne Frank
156. De Ontdekking van de Hemel / The Discovery of Heaven
491. De Avonden

(Maybe Max Havelaar in the Top 500, but I don't think so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good list, but really it would end up being a bunch of stuff 95% of us haven't read but is clearly better than the crap us regular people read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
Enders Game is missing... Shameful. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeks... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that War and Peace would rank so highly, although it would still probably make the top ten.
There are enough Dan Brown haters out there to make sure that Angels and Demons would average out to a middle score. No top ten there, either (I liked it, myself!).
Hamlet is a good story, a great play, but a lousy "read". I can't see that making it to #6. That would go for Macbeth, or any Will S, really.
Hitchikers Guide would probably rank higher, this being a "geek" ranking (as previously noted). I could see it at #2 or #3.

Interesting opening list, though. You'd better get coding & programming. Buy up that domain name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Lord of the Rings would be No. 1, and The Hobbit would be a ways down the pack, I suspect. The odds would be fairly good of a Neal Stephenson novel making the list. And the list would be very different if you allowed graphic novels (I wouldn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Redward wrote:
Enders Game is missing... Shameful. shake

See? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Lord of the Rings would be No. 1, and The Hobbit would be a ways down the pack, I suspect.

It shouldn't!

robigo wrote:
And the list would be very different if you allowed graphic novels (I wouldn't).

No, no! That would be a different 'Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really hope Angels and Demons wouldn't make the list...or any Dan Brown book for that matter.

A decent list otherwise, although I too would put Lord of the Rings at number one, and maybe have a Dark Tower book (or the whole series) on the list somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Winters
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robigo wrote:
And the list would be very different if you allowed graphic novels (I wouldn't).

I would include graphic novels. I think there are some solid examples of good literature that come from graphic novels. But maybe they should get their own separate list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briskwinterspiss wrote:
robigo wrote:

I would include graphic novels. I think there are some solid examples of good literature that come from graphic novels. But maybe they should get their own separate list.

You'd get every comicbook in that list. It would be no comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briskwinterspiss wrote:
I really hope Angels and Demons wouldn't make the list...or any Dan Brown book for that matter.

There must be a popular-book-not-everyone-likes in there, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.