1 , 2  Next »   | 

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Really old cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rahul Dave
msg tools
Hi Folks,

Was cleaning recently and came across some really old cards, from my days as a grad student at UPenn where the creators and some original players of the games were. They're quite primitive, printed on chart paper, still pretty cool.

The question: are they useful? valuable? I briefly dabbled back in the day, but havent played for years, so really dont know the scene, to be quite honest.

There are about 40-50 of these...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really super amazing cool!!!

rahuldave wrote:

The question: are they useful? valuable?

Useful? no
Valuable? I'm sure somebody out there would pay a gajillion dollars for them, if you can verify their authenticity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have Power Sink?
I remember hearing that the playtest artwork for that one was from this Calvin and Hobbes strip:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Dave
msg tools
I'm not sure what the exact vintage is. Rob Crittenden was the senior graduate student to the same advisor in Physics as me; he and Skaff used to play quite often. Rob gave me the table in his room and his bike; my suspicion is that these were inside that table.

I never played at that point, so its hard for me to place the vintage..

Here are 2 more: the weakness one is quite hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
They 100% are worth money (who knows how much).

You will have to somehow get their authenticity verified though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahuldave wrote:
Here are 2 more: the weakness one is quite hilarious!

I've never seen anything quite like the first image you posted, but these definitely look like the pre-Alpha playtest cards seen in this article.

I've seen the Weakness image before, but not the Animated Living Wall. I expect they'd be worth a lot to some people, and since Magic is quite popular, I assume there are many such people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
These sure look like original playtest cards. A find like this is really cool. I don't know anything about the value of these, but they must have some value to a collector of odd Magic-related stuff. You could check with www.starcitygames.com as well if they have any idea of their value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess quite a bit of money, if they can be authenticated. I'm not an expert, but I'd get in touch with as many people as you can who were involved then. In a physical sense, the cards seem easily counterfeited, so you want to establish their provenance by getting people's testimony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Dave
msg tools

Quote:

I've seen the Weakness image before, but not the Animated Living Wall. I expect they'd be worth a lot to some people, and since Magic is quite popular, I assume there are many such people.

Thanks for posting those! The Terror one (pic below) definitely has the same pic but different markings. And the plague one has sorcery instead of enchantment, thugh the upper left corners of the pics seem to match up

All quite fascinating!

A lot of the ones in my set even have no artwork, as if they were placeholders, like Soul Net, or Instill Energy..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahuldave wrote:
Thanks for posting those! The Terror one (pic below) definitely has the same pic but different markings. And the plague one has sorcery instead of enchantment, thugh the upper left corners of the pics seem to match up

I think what you've got are somewhat earlier versions. In later versions, the colored dots were replaced by letters.

EDIT: After poking around a bit more, I think it's clear these are early playtest cards. Apparently, all creatures were originally green, which explains the (Benalish) Hero printed on green paper. Also, the circle in the upper right was printed blank to be filled with an appropriate color by marker.

I found most of this info at the threads below. See the second for a Plains which looks essentially identical to yours except it has the mana symbol filled.
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=343582
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5761
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto for checking price and proving authenticity (although unless you get a fantastic offer and really need the cash, I'd be tempted to keep them because the value will only go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have the most powerful card ever made in that set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
These cards are clearly worthless.
Please send them to me and I will dispose of them properly.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look really interesting (and definitely worth something!). I'd recommend asking in two places:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/
Magic Librarities covers rare and unusual items, which these definitely come under, and they would likely be very interested in putting scans up on the front page (very little information exists AFAIK on the pre-Alpha prototype cards). They also have an active forum with some big spenders for rarities like this.

Additionally there is the Market Street Cafe forum at MtgSalvation (have to register to be able to see posts in that forum), who should be able to give a separate idea as to the value of them. http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Really nice find though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super cool find. This is like archaeology in magic land.

I'm guessing this might end up quite the windfall for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Page
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mb

is one of the original M:tG playtesters. There might be others on BoardGameGeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not into Magic, but this sort of thing is always very exciting.

Thanks for sharing it all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Do you have Power Sink?
I remember hearing that the playtest artwork for that one was from this Calvin and Hobbes strip:

I haven't seen that one, but I have seen Balance and Earthbind playtest versions that have Calvin and Hobbes strip snippets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Dave
msg tools
So here's the whole set, in 2 pics. A lot of them seem unfinished in the sense that there is no graphic. A lot of them have some graphic too. Some have multiples in the same color...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ents are clearly overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder at what point the development team realized Counterspell was powerful enough without doubling as a Disenchant. Obviously before Alpha, but wow. Also interesting to see what I assume became Hypnotic Spectre was originally a 2/2 vanilla flier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it cost 1U and not UU! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rutherford
United States
SEATTLE
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
mbmbmbmbmb
While it focuses on a different issue (uncolored basic lands) this article has some of those pre-alpha prototype cards

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
the art on these are so much nicer than the current stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Also, it cost 1U and not UU! shake

No, it cost UU. "2 (times) [mana symbol]" was how it was written back then.

edit: Never mind. It seems my memory is off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.