Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
I wonder are games like Arkham horror which have many text to read are good to use when playing with non native english speakers to help them get use to the language ?

Or would games like Ticket to Ride with minimal text be better instead by which the act of describing the rules and the back and fourth of asking how to play the game be a better tool instead

Are there any other games/way that would help ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that text on cards or on a board is the best way.

Go for a story telling game or even a role playing game. Talking is the best way to learn a foreign language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I don't think that text on cards or on a board is the best way.
Go for a story telling game or even a role playing game. Talking is the best way to learn a foreign language.

Agreed. I haven't played it, but Dixit: Journey is a possibility, for example (though probably not recommended when just beginning to learn a new language, as a fairly rich vocabulary is necessary).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your goal to get them to read it or speak it?

If you're trying to get them to read, sure. If you're trying to just get them to speak, I'd go with a negotiation game, where they can try to communicate based on very general and utility focused terms like "I want", "Do you have", "I need" etc.

You might want to consider Catan. Has a high fun factor, and lots of communication.

Of course, it also depends on how advanced these people are. What is the level we're talking about here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Depends on the current language level of the learners. I tend to agree with earlier comments that games with lots of text on cards is not the best approach. Speech/conversation practice seems more useful.

Once Upon A Time can be a good one. (It can be used as a pastime/exercise too, without the competitive structure.)

Dixit can be good.

For more basic vocabulary/memory practice, something like Dobble = Spot It forces you to remember words quickly. If you're really focused on vocabulary learning instead of conversation, then any word game (Scrabble, Boggle, My Word, etc).

Generally any "normal" game can be useful as people generally talk during gaming, and it's fun to talk about something you all know and enjoy. Learning basic gaming expressions like "It's your turn", "John is winning", etc is useful for gamers.

For more advanced practice, negotiation games might be useful (e.g. Settlers of Catan) but if the learners don't already understand speech pretty well, they may find it frustrating and un-fun (someone else always accepts an offer before the learner even understands what is being offered). (Speaking from experience here when I played Settlers a couple times in Polish several years ago...)

PS:
You created a duplicate of this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/814016/games-which-helps...
so you could delete that duplicate (which doesn't yet have comments).

EDITED to clarify that Dobble = Spot It.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples to Apples is a good one for learning synonyms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Park
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try Spot It? It's a picture matching game and it's helpful especially when I babysit the kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.