Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terror Track: Only Raised on Monster Outskirts Limit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So, I have a couple of Arkham Horror plays under my belt. I noticed it seems the terror track only gets raised if the outskirts reach their limit. Are there any other ways it gets raised? Did I miss something in the rules? Other than maybe cards that explicitly say so, are there any other game mechanics that raise the terror track?

J
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Mythos cards which raise the terror level as well, especially one very nasty Rumor — The Terrible Experiment — which can spike it all the way up to 10 and dump 8 monsters into the Miskatonic streets, which subsequently has the potential to exceed the (new) monster limit and awaken the Ancient One. (I strongly dislike that experiment.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in the base game the terror track is only raised by monsters exceeding the outskirts limit and some card effects. A lot of people were complaining that the terror track wasn't a factor in the game. Some of the big box expansions add other mechanics for raising the track. Dunwich Horror and Innsmouth Horror can raise the track by having a monster jump into a vortex on the expansion board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
There are Mythos cards which raise the terror level as well, especially one very nasty Rumor — The Terrible Experiment — which can spike it all the way up to 10 and dump 8 monsters into the Miskatonic streets, which subsequently has the potential to exceed the (new) monster limit and awaken the Ancient One. (I strongly dislike that experiment.)


And, out of all of those cards, guess which experiment has popped up 2x in my first 4 games! Luckily the 2nd time we were already working one rumor. The first time, instant awakening of Shub.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Batista
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little semantic correction: The terror track avances when the Terror Track exceeds its limit, not when it is reached.

And a friendly reminder: Do not forget to take one ally out of the game everytime the Terror Track increases. We played it wrong in my group for several sessions before we found out the error.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a little correction to Cristiano Batista's semantic correction..."The Terror Track advances when the Outskirts exceeds itas limit"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Batista
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Professor!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cristiano.batista wrote:
A little semantic correction: The terror track avances when the Terror Track exceeds its limit, not when it is reached.

And a friendly reminder: Do not forget to take one ally out of the game everytime the Terror Track increases. We played it wrong in my group for several sessions before we found out the error.
And don't forget to increase the Terror Level each time the Outskirts Level is exceeded, remembering also to add one Monster at a time to the Outskirts. This is important with large groups of Investigators where the Outskirts level is low and can be exceeded multiple times with a single Monster Surge (for example: 8 Investigators = 8 Monsters in a Surge, with an Outskirts Limit of 0! OUCH!!).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
cristiano.batista wrote:
A little semantic correction: The terror track avances when the Terror Track exceeds its limit, not when it is reached.

And a friendly reminder: Do not forget to take one ally out of the game everytime the Terror Track increases. We played it wrong in my group for several sessions before we found out the error.
And don't forget to increase the Terror Level each time the Outskirts Level is exceeded, remembering also to add one Monster at a time to the Outskirts. This is important with large groups of Investigators where the Outskirts level is low and can be exceeded multiple times with a single Monster Surge (for example: 8 Investigators = 8 Monsters in a Surge, with an Outskirts Limit of 0! OUCH!!).


Thanks. I had been playing that part wrong, but this mechanic is confirmed by an example in the FAQ. As if it wasn't hard enough...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
to cristiano,

My pleasure ~ I love this game and I love to assist everyone to play it better or at least house rule it as best as possible.

Joe
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Downey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
There are Mythos cards which raise the terror level as well, especially one very nasty Rumor — The Terrible Experiment — which can spike it all the way up to 10 and dump 8 monsters into the Miskatonic streets, which subsequently has the potential to exceed the (new) monster limit and awaken the Ancient One. (I strongly dislike that experiment.)


I just played a solo game last week, where this exact scenario happened to me.

Here is the session report: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/813501/in-his-house-at-r...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.