Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Bassil
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am trying to sell Descent: Journeys in the Dark and Sid Meier's Civilization for hopefully a total of $150 and have about 50 extra dollars to add to the money pool for a total of $200. Based on this list below which games would you guys recommend?

I've got a group consisting of two casual gamers and 4 more hardcore gamers. We can usually only get about 4 total people to show up. Stronghold is looking really appealing for my wargaming friend and I, and I would also like something that would appeal to a more casual crowd.

Dominion 25$
Pandemic 25$
Small World 35$
Stronghold 45$
Mage Knight 70$
Lords of Waterdeep 30$
Claustrophobia 30$
Puerto Rico 30$
Lord of the Rings The Card Game 20$
Summoner Wars 20$
Risk LEGACY 40$

If there is anything essential that I havn't considered let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything that's essential. I think Puerto Rico is overrated/outdated, personally. It was fun the first time, but I have no desire to play it again.

Given your mix of group dynamics, I think I would suggest Flash Point: Fire Rescue over Pandemic. It has less of a learning curve, is a bit newbie friendly, has a more inviting theme, and has lots of little options to customize your game experience to the particular group of players.

Both your casual players and more hardcore players will enjoy playing Dominion, but it doesn't scale up well to a larger number of players. Past 3 players, a lot of people have expressed dissatisfaction with the game. Your mileage may vary, of course, but for this reason you may want to consider some lighter games like Long Shot, Citadels, Evo, or Survive: Escape From Atlantis. They may be good choices for when you casual players show up along with your hardcore gamers. Depending on your group, your existing choice, Small World may also fit this role well, but I'd suggest at least one more.

What about Nexus Ops for your "wargamer friend"? How much of a wargamer is he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bassil
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We live across the CDC and we are all Biology Majors so I figured the Pandemic theme would be preferred to Flash Point.

My wargaming friend and I play 40 K and privateer press. I will look into Nexus Ops! I'll also look at the others too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can go wrong with Lords of Waterdeep.
Based on your description I would consider 7 Wonders but I think the sweet spot is probably El Grande.

(Summoner Wars and I think LOTR are pretty strictly 2 player so that doesn't sound like what you need.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight doesn't play as well with 4 as you might like. Three players is it's peak ideal point. It's really made to be for 1-2 players, but you have Claustrophobia, which is a 2 player game, listed as well, so I partly assume that's not an issue.

Tonight I had a church gamers' group and it was interesting to see two Magic players adjust to the mechanics of Dominion. I know the one player felt lost to start. Those players did keep playing it during the whole session and she and her boyfriend said they got the hang of it better and better. I think it can take some time for a newer player to adjust to it since it feels so open in terms of what to do.

I finally played Pandemic. Took some time to get the setup and mechanics down, but I think the game will fly by during a second replay. It really doesn't feel like it will play as long as it's suppose to. I give it a thumbs up and would look at getting On the Brink at some point.

Small World, yet to play it even though I own it. I only wanted to take so much for the game night. Fills the need for an extended warm up game. While more expensive, King of Tokyo might be worth a look. I own it and was talking about it to another player and he seemed excited by my describing it. We didn't get to it, but I'll keep bringing it since I know it will go over well. I'm definitely bringing both for a "Fall Brawl" themed game night.

LoW should work. Again, it's in the rotation so I might bring it next.

I would pick Summoner Wars versus LotR card game. Very easy mechanics to teach and adds tons of reply and tactics to keep the more hardcore player interested. I didn't know what type of players were showing up so I held off on bringing my SW collection, but I talked to one of the Magic players and he was really pumped about the idea of playing it when I talked to him about it.

Risk Legacy. Never played but a guy on another forum posts about it. He likes it enough to where the group might get another copy once their current one in done so they can replay it.

The game of the night might have been No Thanks. I converted the rest of the players over and one of them is definitely getting a copy. We blew through four games of it since it plays so quick. It is a perfect game for when there is downtime and that's what we used it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbassil wrote:
So I am trying to sell Descent: Journeys in the Dark and Sid Meier's Civilization for hopefully a total of $150 and have about 50 extra dollars to add to the money pool for a total of $200. Based on this list below which games would you guys recommend?

I've got a group consisting of two casual gamers and 4 more hardcore gamers. We can usually only get about 4 total people to show up. Stronghold is looking really appealing for my wargaming friend and I, and I would also like something that would appeal to a more casual crowd.

Dominion 25$
Pandemic 25$
Small World 35$
Stronghold 45$
Mage Knight 70$
Lords of Waterdeep 30$
Claustrophobia 30$
Puerto Rico 30$
Lord of the Rings The Card Game 20$
Summoner Wars 20$
Risk LEGACY 40$

If there is anything essential that I havn't considered let me know!

I would say that there is nothing on the list that's essential. I strongly suggest staying away from Mage Knight and Lord of the Rings as these are quite heavy and will not appeal to casual gamers. IMHO Dominion is not all that good but I seem to be in the minority around here regarding that.

Puerto Rico is old, but still a decent game, and one which casual and hardcore gamers can enjoy. Pandemic and Small World would be good choices as they can appeal to the casual gamer while being deep enough for your other group members. However, replayability may be a problem with these two. I highly recommend Summoner Wars. Easy to learn and play, fairly quick games, yet deep enough for hardcore gamers.

A few games not on your list you may want to look into:

Stone Age, Tikal, Black Gold - Good for casual and hardcore gamers alike. Easy to learn and play. Some depth. Quick plays.

Cyclades & Wallenstein - Will appeal to wargamers. Easy to learn and play. Fairly quick plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nice list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Wolfhard
Canada
Midland
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic has been great in our house as a two-player game, and it also plays wonderfully up to four (or more with the expansion). We've gotten a lot of play out of it. (As a side note, we tried out Flash Point the other day, and it wasn't as much of a hit with my guy as Pandemic. Saving the world from apocalyptic disease feels like there's more at stake than saving a few people from a house fire.) For us, the experience of playing a co-op game to beat the board is way more enjoyable than competing against one another. We picked it up after playing at someone else's house and have gone on to spread it to others. It's contagious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are obviously online prices. And you have basically $200.00?!

I'd get most of them, then. Particularly,

Dominion
Pandemic (or Flash Point: Fire Rescue)
Small World
Lords of Waterdeep
Puerto Rico
Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy in this order...

1. Lord of the Rings the Card Game
2. Lords of Waterdeep
3. SmallWorld

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep, Cyclades, and Dominion probably see the most table time with my group when we have 4 to 5 people present. Beware of Dominion though if you feel the need to buy expansions as there are a lot. Summoner Wars is fun, but make sure your group is fine with playing with your set or are willing to buy their own, it is the type of game that can fall flat for those who play games like MTG and are used to owning and editing their own decks. Also it's more of a 2 player game. Small world isn't bad either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Dominion are great casual games.

We've got about 20 or 40 games of Dominion in before I put Dominion: Prosperity on my birthday list.

Memoir '44 and Hammer of the Scots are my favorite war games. Both are genius in their gameplay for fun and just awesome gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you feel about buying games used? I recently found out about the board gaming hobby and became instantly addicted. I've found that getting a decent sized collection on a budget is much easier if you look for used games. My strategy was to scan the For Trade lists for people in my area (to save on shipping). I managed to get Small World for 15 bucks from a guy who lives in my town.

In terms of the games you've listed I only have experience with Dominion and Small World. From personal experience, I haven't met anyone yet (including lots of family and friends) that hasn't been instantly addicted to Dominion. I agree that after a few plays you'll be wanting expansions. Personally I love Small World, but it hasn't been as well received by everyone in my group. But the people who didn't like it were much more casual gamers (looking for a quick 20 minute game that had few rules) so this might not be a problem for your group. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bassil
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually TRYING to find all of my games used, (except for risk legacy obviously). I think I have settled on Stronghold, Dominion, and Lords of Waterdeep definitely, still considering the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Once you factor in shipping and stuff, buying games used doesn't really save you any money. You do it mostly because it introduces you to new people and gets you more involved with the hobby. But in general, I've found that buying used games or buying games in auction doesn't save me any money over what coolstuffinc.com usually charges with free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Once you factor in shipping and stuff, buying games used doesn't really save you any money.

Depends on where you buy them. For auctions here, I tend to be rather patient and compare prices against what it's listed in the market and elsewhere. I feel like my last three buys were steals. Case in point, Earth Reborn has a retail price of $80. I got a copy for $40 that had never been played. Even with shipping factored in, that's quite a bit below retail for something that's been played as much as a new copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Once you factor in shipping and stuff, buying games used doesn't really save you any money. You do it mostly because it introduces you to new people and gets you more involved with the hobby. But in general, I've found that buying used games or buying games in auction doesn't save me any money over what coolstuffinc.com usually charges with free shipping.

This depends. For games like Dominion, there are a huge number of people looking to trade it. If you live in or near a large city, you're likely to find someone in your area. Arranging a local pickup can cut out shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Once you factor in shipping and stuff, buying games used doesn't really save you any money.

Depends on where you buy them. For auctions here, I tend to be rather patient and compare prices against what it's listed in the market and elsewhere. I feel like my last three buys were steals. Case in point, Earth Reborn has a retail price of $80. I got a copy for $40 that had never been played. Even with shipping factored in, that's quite a bit below retail for something that's been played as much as a new copy.

Perfect example. At coolstuffinc.com it's listed for $54. So when you factor in shipping, they were about the same price. Both ways have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day (month?), you pay about the same either way. So it's more about HOW you want to buy and not really about saving money.

If you enjoy auctioning and stuff, then buy used because its fun and because you support other users. If you want to get value and minimize getting burned, or you want to support the publisher, I'd suggest saving up for massive purchases and buying off coolstuffinc.com. I don't think either method really saves you money over the other in the long run, and certainly not enough to matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
matthean wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:

Perfect example. At coolstuffinc.com it's listed for $54. So when you factor in shipping, they were about the same price. Both ways have their pros and cons, but at the end of the day (month?), you pay about the same either way.

I was able to get Small World for $15 and Lord of the Rings LCG for $20, both from people living near me. These would have been $32 and $26 on CSI. I think it really depends on the situation, but it doesn't hurt to look used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Perfect example. At coolstuffinc.com it's listed for $54. So when you factor in shipping, they were about the same price.

CSI's price is without shipping so I wouldn't consider it "the same price."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
Perfect example. At coolstuffinc.com it's listed for $54. So when you factor in shipping, they were about the same price.

CSI's price is without shipping so I wouldn't consider it "the same price."

for ease of use and best price...coolstuff is my favorite auction. I spent a month scouring auctions here, ebay, craigslist...but in the end filling up a cart on coolstuff got me the stuff I wanted at a decent price with no added shipping costs. Time wasted no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bassil
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got a chance to play Dominion with Intrigue a few times and I have to say I don't think it's my cup of tea. It feels too much like a single player game with the occasional poke here and there from other players. Any other recommendations based on this?

We all felt like we needed something more competitive and interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those seem inherently better than the games you're getting someone to give you a sweet deal for! Just buy some more games and sell 'em to that person for profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbassil wrote:
So I got a chance to play Dominion with Intrigue a few times and I have to say I don't think it's my cup of tea. It feels too much like a single player game with the occasional poke here and there from other players. Any other recommendations based on this?

We all felt like we needed something more competitive and interactive.

I would still go with my recommendation of Summoner Wars. If you want to do 4 player, get a 2nd board. You can use two of the paper versions of the boards, but those are far from ideal to play on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Bassil
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far my definite buys are going to be Pandemic, Stronghold, and Lords of Waterdeep.

That idea to get everyone to put in 10 dollars for Risk Legacy with the winner of the campaign taking the game is a really good one so we will probably employ that eventually.

I am also highly considering Summoner Wars but I am still iffy so hmm... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.