Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I played my 9th game of Automobile, the first with 3 players. I find it very pleasure. It's very quick, less "mathematical" but still very challenging. I wouldn't vote as "best" number of players, but for sure as "recommended". However, 45% of people think it's "not recommended". Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Automobile a lot with 2-5 honestly. People are picky though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo, I've noticed that the most enthusiastic fans of demanding or unforgiving games (like Automobile) often like those games when they are most demanding or unforgiving. Very often, this is with the maximum number of players. I think that's the case with Automobile. Personally, I think 3 players is the best way to learn the game, but I find it a little too easy to anticipate what your opponents will do and calculate the ramifications of this on your actions. Still a very good game, but not optimal, IMO. My favorite number is 4 players, which is very challenging, but not overwhelming. 5 players, OTOH, is really tough and almost TOO hard to work through. However, Automobile is such a great game that I'll probably agree to play it with any number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is the best for this game as you have to make more difficult decisions as to player order, factory development, production of cars, etc.

3 could be a good way to learn the game but its just not the game in my opinion.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls