Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: 3d Artist available for freelance... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Deavellar
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
My name is Chris Deavellar. I've been a professional video game artist for about 6 years, and I have recently started doing some freelancing, including a few miniatures for HeroClix. My specialty is 3d sculpting. I can work from concept/reference, or do concept/prototyping for you.

My portfolio is www.chrisdevo.com

Thank you for your time,
Chris




6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deavellar
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wanted to elaborate a bit more on the service that I'm offering.

First off, I've been into board games for a few years now, and I'm plenty hooked. Posting here directly to find work is the result of loving both 3d art and loving board games. Seeing my work on the table would be pretty cool.

I'm a digital sculptor. I use a combination of 3d packages to create custom sculpts that can be 3d printed. I believe that most 3d printing companies can turn these into molds for mass production. I'm not an expert on the actual printing process, just in creating the digital work to be printed. I was the character artist and subsequently the art director for the MMORPG Fallen Earth for 6 years, so I have a lot of experience at both the sculpting process and visualizing style.

I have reasonable rates for custom artwork. I use a rigid pipeline to keep the process as smooth as possible. I can help you narrow in on getting the results you'll be happy with, or I'm happy to just take a concept and reproduce it as closely as possible.

So if you need miniatures for your upcoming game, I'd love the opportunity to bid on the job.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful sculpts. I've never used Z-Brush before, learned on Cinema 4D but was never any good at characters. I'm curious as to how much you would charge for this (feel free to GM if you don't want to discuss openly – or ignore the question as it's just out of curiosity, I'm not a potential customer!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

A Quick question if you like to answer please:
Which miniatures of HeroClix did you created?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deavellar
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did a couple of figures for the upcoming Hobbit set. The work I did for them is still under NDA, so it's not on my portfolio yet. I really only mentioned it because they're the most notable miniature company I'd worked with. I have since done a few nice board game minis, most recently the Dragon for Dragon's Bard (currently on Kickstarter! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/albinodragon/dragons-bar...).

Chris
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Great work, Chris ! (Sincerely)

From another 2D/3D artist. Your artwork is really good, and you show a great line of work. Hope you have the best of luck, because you deserve it. Jealous of the miniatures gigs

Keep fighting!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
devomeister wrote:
I did a couple of figures for the upcoming Hobbit set. The work I did for them is still under NDA, so it's not on my portfolio yet. I really only mentioned it because they're the most notable miniature company I'd worked with. I have since done a few nice board game minis, most recently the Dragon for Dragon's Bard (currently on Kickstarter! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/albinodragon/dragons-bar...).

Chris


Your Dragon look pretty good I must say.
How long it take you to make the Dragon look like that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deavellar
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
OneManCrafts wrote:
Great work, Chris ! (Sincerely)

From another 2D/3D artist. Your artwork is really good, and you show a great line of work. Hope you have the best of luck, because you deserve it. Jealous of the miniatures gigs

Keep fighting!


Thanks man. I've been at this 3d thing for quite a while now, but we never stop trying to get better, do we I'm really enjoying the miniature work so far. Whether or not there's a living to be made doing this remains to be seen, but I've truly enjoyed the projects and people I've worked with so far.

Sweet Shark wrote:
Your Dragon look pretty good I must say.
How long it take you to make the Dragon look like that?


Thanks man. The dragon took around 45 hours, maybe a little more, which I did over the course of a couple of weeks. That includes working with the client to be sure he got exactly what he wanted. I'm really looking forward to seeing the physical miniature.

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
devomeister wrote:
OneManCrafts wrote:
Great work, Chris ! (Sincerely)

From another 2D/3D artist. Your artwork is really good, and you show a great line of work. Hope you have the best of luck, because you deserve it. Jealous of the miniatures gigs

Keep fighting!


Thanks man. I've been at this 3d thing for quite a while now, but we never stop trying to get better, do we I'm really enjoying the miniature work so far. Whether or not there's a living to be made doing this remains to be seen, but I've truly enjoyed the projects and people I've worked with so far.

Sweet Shark wrote:
Your Dragon look pretty good I must say.
How long it take you to make the Dragon look like that?


Thanks man. The dragon took around 45 hours, maybe a little more, which I did over the course of a couple of weeks. That includes working with the client to be sure he got exactly what he wanted. I'm really looking forward to seeing the physical miniature.

Chris


Cool!
Do you have a DeviantArt page to see your other works as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deavellar
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
No DeviantArt page, but I have a portfolio website at: www.chrisdevo.com

There's a blog link on that page as well. I only update that sporadically, and it's for stuff that isn't fit for my portfolio, so a lot of it is unfinished work or just plain crappy stuff, hahaha.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hicks
United States
California
flag msg tools
Chris, I like your work and was wondering what you would quote on the digital 3d design of 8 semi detailed models. 4 of them would stand 1 1/2 inches after molded and the other 4 would stand 1/2 inch tall. Im in the process of starting a kickstart and am getting my ducks in a row before I push start. PM when you can.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.