Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Morgan
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to make note of two important facts before proceeding:

1.) This is my first session report (any and all criticism is welcomed, encouraged actually)
2.) I really like Race for the Galaxy, but am apparently terrible at it!

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let's begin. This was a 3 player game that included my wife, our 9-year old son, and myself. My wife and my son have played maybe 5-6 games each, and I have played about 150 online.

Start Worlds: Wife-Earth's Lost Colony, Son-Alpha Centauri, Me-New Sparta (my favorite!).

(Image from the BGG Image Gallery, submitted by Koen, 2007-10-21.)

Game Flow
The game started as our games usually do, with my wife and son playing a lot of Explore actions, and I started building my development cards. I started out with Public Works, Investment Credits, and Space Mercenaries.

After a few turns, my wife started playing Novelty Planets and my son was still hoarding cards. I continued playing developments, Drop Ships and Colony Ship. I was also able to get a couple of military planets into play.

After this went on for a couple of rounds, my son finally played Galactic Federation, followed quickly by New Galactic Order. It was around this time that my wife started consuming resources and producing on the multitude of Novelty Planets she had.

Despite my large military force (+7) I couldn't draw a large military planet, and I had been hoping to get my hands on New Galactic Order seeing as all of this military might just kept dropping into my lap. Fortunately, I suddenly drew Terraformed Worlds and Rebel Homeworld, picking up a quick 12 points. The game ended abruptly, with my wife playing several quick cards at the end to get to 12 cards in her tableau.

Final Score: Wife-28, Me-27, Son-18.

Final Thoughts: I really like this game, but sometimes I am unsure how big a role the luck of the draw plays in this game, and how much is skill. I played the cards as they came to me, quickly and efficiently building a powerful military while my wife and son helped keep my hand stocked with their Explore Actions. The problem is, after that I didn't receive enough military planet cards (or large enough) military planet cards to take full advantage of this. Once my son played New Galactic Order I knew I was in trouble, as that card was my last hope (as by the end of the game I had built my military to +10). It was too late to change gears and attempt a different type of victory, but I felt like I played the odds that if I had a large military really early it would pay off. On the flip-side, my wife was frequently unsure what she was doing, and sort of stumbled upon a Victory Point Machine (and to be honest, she should have beat me much worse, as she wasn't using the VP Machine very efficiently). I said it in the opening, and I will say it again, I REALLY like this game - but I am not very good at it.

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
BMinNY wrote:
I said it in the opening, and I will say it again, I REALLY like this game - but I am not very good at it.

~Brad

Great session report!

Race is also a favorite in my home. If you are worried about improving your "racing" skills, zip over and download Keldon's free Race for the Galaxy AI. It is incredible, and will show you (quite forcefully and with gusto) the weakness in whatever strategy you use. It certainly is beatable, but probably only after a dozen or so matches.

http://keldon.net/rftg/

After some training with this puppy, now I can beat my friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ellis
United States
Sandwich
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your first session report! I think you just motivated me to make one of my own...

Anyway, great read, and I seem to have the same problem with Race, although I need to get some more games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only playing base game, building rush is in general more difficult to pull off than consumption strats. Maybe try going for more P/C engine with big mil as a supplement? Your wife must have been the only one calling produce...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls