Subject: How do you handle discovery? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the aspect of discovery is the one which evokes the most variants. So I'm curious how you handle this.
(I coud have posted this in general but I only want answers from persons who are at least open to houserules.)

Poll
How do you handle coonisations?
rules as written - never tried s.th. else
rules as written - tried s.th. else but returned
open discovery tiles
some other variant (please explain)
      37 answers
Poll created by Fluxx

edit: colonisation --> discovery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How do you handle colonisation?
One hundred per cent rules as written.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean discovery and not colonization. Otherwise, i don't see a point.

We play rules as written, but with two twists (originally based on erroneous readings of the rules, but now we prefer to play this way).

(1) If a player fails to discover, the tile remains hidden to other players.

(2) A player may make mutiple discoveries on his turn if able to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other: we remove the 4-VP tiles (the 1- and 2- native tiles).

I'd recommend replacing the tile set with a more balanced set, but haven't gotten around to proxying up such a thing yet (we don't break out AoEIII much any more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
I assume you mean discovery and not colonization. Otherwise, i don't see a point.

you're right - changed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our minor variant: if the discovery fails, the tile is mixed back into the remaining unused tiles and a new tile is drawn, then placed face down. That way the other players gain no information benefit from the failed discovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Our minor variant: if the discovery fails, the tile is mixed back into the remaining unused tiles and a new tile is drawn, then placed face down. That way the other players gain no information benefit from the failed discovery.

+1

Besides not randomly gifting the player behind the failed discoverer, it's also more thematic in that when the Europeans failed to "discover" a new land because they got their butts kicked, they didn't typically return home to report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gische wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

+1

Besides not randomly gifting the player behind the failed discoverer, it's also more thematic in that when the Europeans failed to "discover" a new land because they got their butts kicked, they didn't typically return home to report.

Or report it to their enemies! "Hey, France, it's England. Listen, I know we haven't been getting on really well recently, but I thought I'd help you out. You know that few acres of snow where all the furs are? Well, that can be yours if you only bring ___ people to take over the natives! No, France, of course I'm telling the truth. Why would I lie to you?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that the player secretly looks at the tile and then puts it back face down if the discovery fails. We often send out a single unit to 'scout' the tile first before the main party goes out. Reduces some of the luck in the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.