Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love mini games, and my wife likes monsters (and I softened her up with King of Tokyo) to the point that I *might* be able to work around her gaming limit of "no hobbits, no spaceships, no robots" rule to try MonPoc with her.

Our gaming budget is *incredibly* tight, though.

Using eBay or other resources, what would the best way to get a good feel for what MonPoc has to offer? Scuttlebutt on these forums suggest that this might be a good time to pick it up on the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
using ebay. scope around for people selling collections.

but the best way to get into it quickly and cheaply is to buy a battlebox. Amazon has them for $37 shipped right now, and you get 2 full armies from the 6 factions of block one, plus 9 buildings, dice & trackers, a map, and a rulebook.

edit: though if your wife is a notorious non-gamer, this might not be the best game, as it can be rather fiddly and chess-like. BUT, you can probably sell your battlebox for close to what you paid for it (or more if you get good armies) on eBay if she doesn't dig it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heyo:

If you want to try out the game for free online, there's a vassal module and an active vassal community. Go to Team Covenant, create an account, and either post a blog expressing your interest or PM one of the active members, and they'll steer you in the right direction.

If you want to try the game with the actual models, the best way I could suggest is a 2-player starter box:

http://monsterpocalypse.com/products/monsterpocalypse-two-pl...

There's aren't that many still floating around, but if you can get one at a decent rate, you'll have a set of two 13-unit monsterpocalypse armies and two corresponding monsters (randomly packed, but you won't get the same faction twice). You'll have 9 different buildings, which you'll have to draft when building your city.

Basically, you'll have Monsterpocalypse as a board game.

Finally, if you're ever in Toronto, there are two really active Monpoc guys out there (check them out on Team Covenant; their names are Wapcaplets and Spazz). I'm sure they would love to show you the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, if you're on an "incredibly tight" budget, I don't think MonPoc is the best choice for you. When people say it's cheap now, they're using that in the relative sense compared to prices when there wasn't so much used MonPoc available. I just got started six months ago, and spent a lot of time comparing prices and shopping around, but still spent 300 bucks or so. That gave me 6 factions that are fun to play, but nowhere near tournament worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good notes. Thanks, all -- I'll try the online version, and may hold off in favour of something a little more limited in scope and cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
Well, the online version won't have any rule support; it's just a virtual tabletop on which you can place the pieces and roll the dice.

It's also not THAT expensive, since the battle boxes play a bit like a self-contained board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.