Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so a couple weeks ago I posted about playing my first round of this game with two players and no ship-to-ship combat taking place. This game last night was considerably more intense, with some fantastic sea battles.

I apologize that I did not take notes on which captains were being used. I never think to make detailed notes about a game until it is over and it proved to be pretty interesting.

Last night I invited a friend over who is pretty big into board games, so my roommate and I were able to play a three player match last night.

Ryan (Me): Pirate-ish captain, starting with a Sloop
Joe: Merchant type captain, starting with a Flute
Nick: Pirate-ish captain, starting with a Sloop

In the other two games I've played, I tried to focus on being a Merchant, but the captain I drew this time just seemed setup more for piracy, so I decided to try my hand at it.

The game got off to a semi slow start. Nick and I were having some trouble getting Glory points in our piracy, while Joe was racking up the points like a madman, traversing ports and selling "in-demand" goods like crazy. I then hit a fantastic string of luck, and in 2 turns I managed to complete a mission, prove a rumor to be true, upgrade my ship, and sell 3 "in-demand" goods to get 4 Glory points, putting me in the lead, at least visibly. I was pretty sure Joe had 10 or 20 gold in his stash, so I knew I had to keep stepping up my game if I was to pull out a victory.

Meanwhile the new guy Nick was enjoying himself, but having a good amount of trouble building up Glory points, so he was behind by about 4 points at this point in the game.

So at this point Joe and I are at 6 and 7 Glory points respectivity, and I had a feeling the game was getting close to ending. The game board was riddled with NPCs, from pirates to naval officers (including a French Man-o-War), but we still had not had a single ship-to-ship combat. That all changed when the event "Too Quiet" came into play. This event, which essentially is 3 event cards in one, made it so my friend Joe was face to face with a pirate frigate, Nick, in his newly purchased Galleon, was face to face with the French Man-o-War NPC, and a British Frigate. On the complete other side of the board, I was contested by a Dutch frigate NPC. Thus started a rather epic round of sea battles and rule reading. We quickly got through the rules and started the battles.

The merchant Joe was able to sink the NPC pirate frigate without issue, giving himself 9 Glory points (factoring in the hidden Stash points). I was able to trash the Dutch frigate NPC relatively easily as well, giving me 9 Glory points as well (10 gold in the stash). Surprisingly, the new guy Nick was able to defeat both the Man-o-War and the frigate in his space, taking only mild damage to his supped up Galleon (he had purchased it in the space where he could transfer all his ship mods for 1 gold each).

On his next turn Joe was able to get a single Glory point to win the game, narrowly beating me to it.

All in all it was an incredibly fun round, with an almost movie worthy sea battle climax.

My props to the game designer for making such a thrilling and seemingly balanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean "seemingly" - come 'ere so I can gut you arrrh

Glad you are having fun. Thanks for posting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:

HA! That is what I love about BGG.

Great session reports like yours and the mini-painters have me very interested in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:

Glad you are having fun. Thanks for posting

Haha, well I've only played 2.5 games, but it does seem pretty balanced so far. If a player was forced into becoming a pirate or merchant at the start, it might have issues, but the fact that you can swap back and forth relatively easily makes the game very interesting indeed. You can get 8 Glory points being a merchant, then do some Pirate things to get the last 2 points, which I absolutely love. I was able to rid myself of any bounties and spent a nice couple of rounds in the middle of my last game without any naval ships caring about me.

OctoberSky wrote:

Great session reports like yours and the mini-painters have me very interested in this game.

What I really like about Merchants & Marauders is how different it is from the other staples of my board game library. Carcassonne, Resident Evil Deck Building Game, Thunderstone, Small World, Ticket to Ride, and Catan get regular play at my house, and now Merchants & Marauders is added to that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.