Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer lighter games with a small rules overhead.

I like details that lead to realistic results but I don't like simulation that much as to read long rulebooks. I find my brain can't handle rulebooks much longer than 14-16 pages.

My comfort zone is within 8-12 pages of rules, something that I'd consider casual realism. Examples of games: Conflict of Heroes, Corps Command, etc. My most exhaustive games that I am able to play have to be Squad Leader and the Lock 'N Load series.

What is your favorite weight when it comes to rules? Lighter rulebooks, heavier? Discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naming a perfect weight would imply that I wouldn't prefer variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the perfect gameplay weight is somewhere between 5-12 pounds (2.72-5.45 Kg) depending on how many reps I expect to do in one set.

Edit: Hou is actually spelled how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My "un-answer"? Depends on the mood really. I can go anywhere from 1-10 on the complexity scale. Well, maybe 2-9. Campaign for North Africa is out, and I'm only playing Risk if my 7yr. old son wants to. More important to me than finding a sweet spot for average complexity is to keep the variety. If I'm playing a 4, then I'm going to want something heavier the next time. Playing an 8? Well, then let's do a 5 next to keep things interesting.

You can't always eat filet mignon, or it's just not special anymore. Sometimes you want meatloaf. No crime there.

Example: Just went from the La Bataille series to Friedrich to Dominant Species to Gamers SCS Ardennes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
For me the perfect gameplay weight is somewhere between 5-12 pounds (2.72-5.45 Kg) depending on how many reps I expect to do in one set.

We're talking bench press, right? I could probably knock out 8 reps with 5 lbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
pmbrill77 wrote:

We're talking bench press, right? I could probably knock out 8 reps with 5 lbs.

I was thinking a set of military presses followed up by two sets of 12 ounce curls. That is one cycle of a six cycle circuit! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
I was thinking a set of military presses followed up by two sets of 12 ounce curls.

I can do 12 ounce curls till they close the bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a wargamer (although my top 4 games include two from GMT), but I'm another "give me a mix" type. My favorite games tend to be longer and somewhat heavy: Dominant Species, Twilight Struggle, Arkham Horror. Not exactly Campaign for North Africa, but fairly beefy for my crowd.

But I couldn't take a steady diet of that, especially if I'm playing more than one game at a sitting, or if I've had a rough day at work. Something like Race for the Galaxy or a light to medium strategy game will work almost any time, but I enjoy ultra-light games too: Coloretto, No Thanks, Lord of the Fries, even the occasional party game. It all depends on the other players, and everyone's current state of mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference? 2.5 - 3.0

YMMV

Other's mileage may vary, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The perfect weight is where the difficulty of the game exactly matches the design intent of the game.

Victory in the Pacific is a simple, fast-moving game of the WWII Pacific Theater.

Advanced Squad Leader aims to be a detail-oriented (though still impressionistic) look at WWII combat where just about everything you can think of happening can either be done, or can happen to you.

The rules of both suit their design goals very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like BGG's gameweight official rankings, because the Euroboys think something Twilight Struggle is "heavy."

My sweet spot lies in this general area:

Block games:
Hammer of the Scots
Rommel in the Desert
Asia Engulfed
EastFront II

Card Driven Games:
Washington's War
Wilderness War
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975

Hex & counter:
No Retreat! The Russian Front
France: 1944
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles
Ambush!
Saratoga

Others:
A House Divided
The Fires of Midway

Take that how you want. Compared to the scope of wargames, it's probably "light-medium". For all games, I would call it "medium".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I just picked up La Bataille d'Orthez, on account of it having the most awesome map this side of Rick Barber's most recent awesome map. Seriously, I want to live in this map. However, I do not want to live in the 53 page rulebook. Yikes. I think you could kill a fair sized wolf with this rule book.

But the map must be played on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I could cope with any length rulebook if it were properly written. For example, the ASL rulebook is a prime example how not to do it. Yes, it is normalized such that no puntution mark is repeated elsewhere in the rulebook unnecessarily makes for lousy and painful learning. Or, have a companion "how-to" book that accompanies the reference rulebook.

The rulebooks for MMP's Grand Tactical Series are a joy to read. It's easy to absorb the rules, the complexity intuitively building on itself.

Examples, diagrams, images, play-throughs and a slew of other textbok writing techniques can make a "heavy" game seem like a "medium" game.

Having said that, isn't game weight, in the end, a matter of taste. Someone might look at Memoir '44 and say, "this is so simple and fun." Whereas, someone else might say, "this is way too abstracted and no fun."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like WIF.

I also like King Phillip's War. And Small World!

So, depends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess miniature games are pretty much out of the question since they can weigh up to dozens of pounds in weight. Even if the rule book is simple and easy to play. Last time I carried my Napoleonic miniatures, they must have weighed about 40+ pounds, but I have them in two boxes. Same goes for my 15mm WW2, ACW and AWI, they can get heavy. But what would you expect from a bunch of lead, pewter, and resin miniatures... lightness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
West Jefferson
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with you about rulebook length. My collection is on the light medium side, mostly because I like rulesets that I can retain after not playing for a long while. My sweet spot is for games that can be completed in no more than about three hours. I just don't have space or opportunity to leave a 'monster' set up for weeks on end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
My preference? 2.5 - 3.0

YMMV

Other's mileage may vary, too!

Mine doesn't. You hit the mark for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:

My comfort zone is within 8-12 pages of rules, something that I'd consider casual realism. Examples of games: Conflict of Heroes, Corps Command, etc. My most exhaustive games that I am able to play have to be Squad Leader and the Lock 'N Load series.

My preference is similar to yours. The games I find that I can get to the table are ones that play in about 2 hours (give or take a little) with rules that are relatively short and intuitive.

I take a "zen" approach to wargaming. I want to be able to focus on the strategy of the scenario rather than having to deal with the rules too much. For me, looking up rules breaks the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.