Subject: How teachable is thi game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have been hearing alot about this game and was wondering how the rules are? Are they easy to understand the first time thru or do they require alot of solo play thrus? What would you compare this game too? Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really not difficult to grasp. If you play a round or two solo you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Each round:

Clear the board of hex-tiles and refill according to color and number of players.
Roll a die, place out a new good in one of the "docks"
(When the goods are gone, the game ends)
Then each player gets to roll two dice and take two actions from a short list.
Depending on which action you take you may get to take another.
And optionally on your turn you may buy one of the black-backed tiles from the center of the board.

There are a few tiles that sometimes confuse people (boats and loading docks/turn-order, vs. selling goods) but you should quickly get the hang of it.

I highly recommend the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
Well I have been hearing alot about this game and was wondering how the rules are? Are they easy to understand the first time thru or do they require alot of solo play thrus? What would you compare this game too? Thanks..

In general it's pretty intuitive, but if you plan to teach it I'd recommend soloing it first. The basic mechanics of dice determining where you can pick and place are easy to grasp. However there is a lot of iconography that you should be prepared for the learners to keep asking you about, or keep the rules handy to look up.

It's a little hard to compare the game to anything, I guess that's why it's good, it's unique. A little like Kingsburg in that the dice roll determines where you can place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics are fairly easy to learn and teach. I played a couple of games this past weekend with my 10 and 13 year olds and they picked it up straight away. I did solo a couple of rounds previously just to make sure I had my head around it but I do that with every game. The iconography does take a little getting used to but nothing too serious. My kids didn't have any problem with it. As someone said, I can't really think of a game to compare it to. At least not one that I own or have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the game that "converted" my wife into gaming more seriously. I read the rules and taught them to her in about 5 minutes. Obviously you need to keep the book around for the yellow tiles, but after about 5 plays you'll know them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most games, it is more easily learned from a player who already knows the game than straight from the rule book.

The rules are pretty straightforward, and the player boards help reinforce certain rules with the way in which they are laid out. I would recommend printing out some of the excellent quick reference sheets available here on BGG, such as this one - the summary of the yellow tiles is particularly handy. Also worth a look is this teaching guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've had mixed results teaching this game. People who are already into gaming seem to pick it up fairly easy and it only takes about 3 rounds for things to click for them. Conversely, it hasn't gone over very well with people who are new to the hobby. There are a lot of little things going on that get woven together (see below) and the interaction between each of the bits is, I'm guessing, a bit too much to grok unless you've been stepped up to it by other games.

Quote:
What would you compare this game to?

This question is the bane of nearly any Stefan Feld game. In terms of mechanics, his designs are unlike any other and its difficult to compare one of his games to anything other than another one of his own. So if you've played Macao, Year of the Dragon, or Notre Dame, you'll be fine. If not, Feld games typically take 4-6 very simple concepts and then tie them all together with one large overlaying mechanism. Its a tapestry that requires more than just an aesthetic eye to be able to appreciate. The closest non-Feld comparisons I would make would be Puerto Rico and Goa.

Theme wise, you're trying to build an estate which makes VPs by herding animals, shipping goods, and placing buildings on your land. Walnut Grove is the only thing I can think of that is similar in terms of theme and goals, but even that might be a bit of a stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is not hard to teach at all. everyone i taught it to got it immediately.
the only thing is, the player aid on everyone's sheet doesn't help at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyInRT wrote:
The mechanics are fairly easy to learn and teach. I played a couple of games this past weekend with my 10 and 13 year olds and they picked it up straight away. I did solo a couple of rounds previously just to make sure I had my head around it but I do that with every game. The iconography does take a little getting used to but nothing too serious. My kids didn't have any problem with it. As someone said, I can't really think of a game to compare it to. At least not one that I own or have played.
Do your 10 and 13 year old seem to like the game? I would be playing this with my 13 year old also, Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
RustyInRT wrote:
Do your 10 and 13 year old seem to like the game? I would be playing this with my 13 year old also, Thanks..

The 13 yr old especially likes it. I think we both like it because of the simple yet interesting mechanics. We are still exploring the game but there seems to always be several good moves to choose from on your turn and that makes you feel that you are always in the running for the lead. He particularly enjoys finding a powerful combination of multiple tile placements. And so far he's won two of the three games we've played.

The younger one enjoys it well enough but still prefers and will vote for one of his favorites (Dominion, Catan, Stone Age, or Ticket to Ride.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest watching the DriveThruReview video on Castles of Burgundy. He explains the game very well. Reading the rules afterwards will go even faster, because you'll have a general idea of the components and mechanics.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/7364/the-castles-of-burgundy/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.