Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's currently shelved until one comes along. It was coming "real soon now" weeks ago -- what happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: If someone from Portal is reading, can we PLEASE get a FAQ for this game?
Legomancer wrote:
Because it's currently shelved until one comes along. It was coming "real soon now" weeks ago -- what happened?

And any purchase of other games by Portal is also shelved for me until this FAQ appears. If they won't support their games properly, I won't buy them in future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer tweets regularly about new design playtests. I guess they are really busy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
The designer tweets regularly about new design playtests. I guess they are really busy

What's his Twitter handle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ is ready.
It is in editing now.
It will be published on Monday or Tuesday.
I am sorry it took so long.
We gathered all question you asked, it will be very long but very clear and helpfull FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to sound condescending, but was there really a need for an FAQ for this game? I had no problems at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
I don't want to sound condescending, but was there really a need for an FAQ for this game? I had no problems at all.

Way to not sound condescending, chief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
djdano wrote:

Way to not sound condescending, chief.

There are games where an FAQ is necessary because the rules are poorly organized or badly translated, or the players encounter situations that are not covered by the designer. Pret-a-Porter is not such a game.

There were many other games where the designers were asked to create FAQ's and answer player's questions and those games were also fine examples of how to properly write an extremely well thought out set of rules - Mage Knight and Vinhos come to mind.

Condescending or not, what I'm saying is that if a designer did a great job at creating a game and a proper rule book, he should not spend any more time with unnecessary things. I am big fan of Ignacy and I would rather know he's working on a new project than compiling answers for questions that need not be asked in the first place if people just took the time and read the rules carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
There are games where an FAQ is necessary because the rules are poorly organized or badly translated ... Pret-a-Porter is not such a game

I totally disagree. There are numerous ambiguities in the English translation of the rules including discrepancies between the cards and the rules. Proof of this is the very large number of questions posted on BGG about the meaning of those rules.

djdano wrote:
I am big fan of Ignacy and I would rather know he's working on a new project than compiling answers for questions ...

Again, I totally disagree. He needs to address the ambiguities in a released product before proceeding to new projects. The latter is a sure fire way to lose existing customers (me at least).

djdano wrote:
... questions that need not be asked in the first place if people just took the time and read the rules carefully

And that comes over as condescending. There are several people who have taken the time to read the rules carefully and they have found them to be ambiguous. If you didn't, good for you (but maybe you haven't been asking the right questions?).

Anyway, it appears the solution is coming (at long last), so the argument will go away and we can all enjoy a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played PaP with several experienced gamers and, even after consulting the rulebook and info sheets, we had questions about a lot of things. There are entire cards that we were unsure how to approach. My fear about the allegedly upcoming FAQ is that it won't answer all the questions we had. The rulebook is not clear and suffers from a lot of translation issues.

I am a huge fan of 51st State/New Era (though not so much a fan of how the latter made the former obsolete) and what I've seen of PaP I like -- if I didn't, I wouldn't have worried about a FAQ and just traded it away.

So I'm sorry if I, my friends, and the other people here who would like some clarification on things so they can enjoy this game are somehow denying you more games. I know that numbskulls like us are constantly making the world unbearable for our intellectual betters, and for that I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have noticed that, despite your thorough comprehension of this game, you haven't replied to a single thread asking questions here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because I never read those threads. I'll take a look now and try to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded FAQ
http://www.portalpublishing.eu/

I am very sorry it took so long.
I was stuck with Robinson Crusoe for last few months and I didn't manage to prepare FAQ in time. I am very sorry again.

If you have any more questions, I will help immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
I uploaded FAQ

I was stuck with Robinson Crusoe for last few months and I didn't manage to prepare FAQ in time. I am very sorry again.

Thanks so much, Ignacy. At first glance, it's an impressive document!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
I uploaded FAQ

Thank you, Ignacy! I am looking forward to playing Pret-a-Porter again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again sorry it took so long.
I hope this PDF file will help you.
As I said, if anything is still unclear, I will help.

And what is important for me, and I hope for you too - Portal Publishing hired this year new employee (Piechu) who is responsible for rulebooks for our games (we have a long and very bad history of rulebooks because I can't write them

He wrote first rulebook for us for game Convoy and I am so much happy - there were no questions about rules so far, nor in Polish forums or here on BGG. Not even a one questionabout rules! Everything is clear. He did a tremendous work writing finally a good rulebook for Portal game.

I hope, since now Portal will have only great rulebooks. I really do belive in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, Ignacy! Can you post it to the files section for Pret here on the geek. Or barring that, can you give me permission and I'll upload it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, absolutely, you can upload it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, it's now submitted. Should hopefully get approved within the next day or two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
So the things that let you win ties let you win ALL ties, not just in the field it's for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
Why would you say that?

Because I don't understand the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
trzewik wrote:
Why would you say that?

Because I don't understand the rules.

I believe he was asking for the source of your confusion in order to clear up the misunderstanding. I don't think he was challenging your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard it talked about here and there and it came up during a game, and the rulebook was no help, nor were the cards, and the way we ended up ruling it was that whatever card I had that gave me PR only won ties on PR, and that the one with quality only won ties with quality. I've since seen it in the FAQ where the one would be up against the other to retie, which means that they are both active for all things, not just their one thing... but I'm not sure because I don't actually own the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.