Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the big deal about Napoleonics. I played most of the more popular eras, and I just had a hard time appreciating Napoleonics. Now I am really hoping for some help here, but the idea for this thread is to introduce someone to the idea of why Napoleonics is so cool. The big question for me is how did one country fight so many people. Its tough to start looking at this era in an organized format because so much was going on. Here is a good link to the battles and how they were fought
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/c_listings.html
The base game
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/listings/c_peninsula...

Take a look here to get some ideas about the Peninsula War and its goals. The base games battles are all in this war
http://www.peninsularwar.org/penwar_e.htm

So lets look at the features of the game that are simulated here

Why form square? Pointing your bayonets at a horse kept the horses from attacking infantry. The horse riders were unable to get close enough to swipe their swords at the infantry. This of course reduces the firepower of your units because they are facing 4 different directions. It reduces the hit power of the cavalry because they cant reach the infantry because the horses are afraid of the bayonets.

Combined firepower- The ability to have artillery to have a good line of sight to the target without hitting your own men added a devastating blow. Being able to support an attack with artillery really demoralized units being attacked.

Ritire and reform- When cavalry is attacking infantry, they are faster and basically turn around and run to avoid an attack. They can still get hit but since they are on horses, the ability to maneuver quickly allows them to basically move away. They can still get hit, but its an option to regroup for them.

Taking losses- As units are hit, they effectively lose their firepower. It also by nature of the game decreases your morale, or your courage to attack with a weaker unit. The "morale" isnt tracked or anything but you start realizing that attacking with a unit that used have 4 dice, now has 2. And moving and firing is tricky business.

Please feel free to add more notes if you wish, but the idea for this thread is to help someone with a light interest in the game get a feel for why some of the mechanics are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanks Alot,

maybe there is an issue of contrasting infantry doctrine which depending on country emphasises fire or impetus. I think that the system tries to capture the differences between the British (who tended to the former) and the French (who maybe tended to the latter).

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a simplistic view, I enjoy the paper/scissors/rock aspect of the combat of this era - Infantry (in square) fends off cavalry, artillery destroys squares, cavalry overruns undefended artillery. Combined arms maneuver really comes into it's own in this era.

There's also the differences that make things interesting - how the Brits have wonderful rates of fire and discipline in their good troops, but can have really horrible leaders, and cavalry that over-pursues. How the French have amazing elite units, and can use less trained troops in smashing columns.

There's also just the shear variety of combatants - a lot of nations participated. A lot went on in the global scale - switching sides, suing for peace, etc.

Then there's the whole naval aspect of things - I do love the age of sail for gaming (and reading about it).

There were some interesting new technological innovations going on as well - Congreve rockets, shrapnel shells, rifling. While they were just making inroads, the combat was still an fascinating mix of the old (saber/sword/lance) and the new (muskets/artillery), each still having it's place.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the era has pretty much my favorite uniforms of all time - often flashy, lots of variety, each nation (and many times each class of unit, or individual units) have unique appearances.

There were a few interesting personalities about during the time as well.

What's not to love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maaaat!

Why this "Maybe" in your: " ... who maybe tended to the latter"?

The French spent 5 centuries from Azincourt to Waterloo stupidly charging the Brits who spent those same centuries winning while standing and firing! So please at least let us: LA CHARGE FRANCAISE!

It's not MAYBE ... It's REALLY hundred years of "CHARGEZZZZ"!

I know it may sound strange today as an anglo-saxon when you watch those quite and slow living french people to imagine them charging anything ... I even admit that it's quite impossible and funny. But it's like the Italians of today and the invincible Romans of the ancien time!

Maybe the best (or more dangerous and stupid) warriors of thoses people died in they stupid charges and the French and Italians of today are just the children of those who refused to charge this way (lol).

Anyway one point is sure: The charging Cuirassiers of the Emperor where absolutely not the same men as those buying their croissants at the bakery today. And by the time you'd better go in square because they had no time to make prisonners! And the Jalouse line infantry where trying to do the same at the bayonette range!

"A Housar alive at 30 is not a Hussar!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaNADrdPMA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Tompsett

London
msg tools
mbmb
maybe there is also an issue of contrasting rhetorical doctrine which depending on country emphasises understatement or hyperbole. I think that the system does not really try to capture the differences between the British (who tended to the former) and the French (who maybe tended to the latter).:D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure this is the way the game is great because 66% playable & 33% realistic! Some country may be much more or less powerfull in this game than they really were in history. Thanks to the gentlemen from many nations who aggree to play the game in conditions sometime rude for the image of their own and loved country!
But what a game. The months to wait for the next expansion will be years for me ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
I know it may sound strange today as an anglo-saxon when you watch those quite and slow living french people to imagine them charging anything ...

I had a coffee at Charles de Gaulle Airport, believe me the French still know how to Charge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Chris:

LOOOOOL

Thank you for your humor in this world of brutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GGleize wrote:
Maaaat!

Why this "Maybe" in your: " ... who maybe tended to the latter"?

Guillaume,

The "maybe" casts no aspersions on your national elan, nor our stolidity, neither of which have any doubt in my mind, but rather doubt on the extent to which this is captured by the game system.

It does try, but does it try hard enough?

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yop I agree Matt.

And to be very honest ... I allways secretly thought that this +1D bonus on the French line infantry at melee was ... let say maybe stronger than the real French fanatism of assault was!

But anyway I can't admit that any foreign player could say it (LOOOL)!

We all understand that Richard Borg started is work from some slight historical tendencies to make SIMPLE AND BASIC RULES that could make funny differences between the nations.

A great game anyway.

GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matt.jolly wrote:
...It does try, but does it try hard enough?...

I think too many sets try too hard. They may fix on a scale, but then someone (the author or fans) will try to cram in more detail than the weight of the rules or the scale can bear.

Aside from that, I like that I can play the game and find opponents for it. That's trying hard "enough" for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George T
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
My friends and I play LOTS of different game systems and periods. We've found these CnC system of games do a fantastic job of realism AND playability with time to spare for coffee and tea!!

At first, I wasn't sure of the card driven system but it adds so a great 'Fog of War' feel that is totally historic. How many flanking forces never made it in time for the battle? Communicating orders through messengers that have to survive or even find the correct units. Smoke, confusion, people and horses running in every direction. This game system is great at representing it.

Montagu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.