I am happy.
Be Good, Play Happy
By the power of Greyskull!
I've been using tuckboxes from other users, and I've tried the tuckbox generators, but I guess I'm picky and I would like to create my own.
Thinking of my fellow geeks, I would like to share the results, so can anyone recommend a drawing program for a mac that that has the following requirements:
1. SIMPLE - I've tried GIMP and I'm just overwhelmed by it. Once I create anything, unless I repeat the process 20x, I forget what I did and I have to relearn it all over again.
2. Easily manipulates photos - so I can print my tuckboxes with designs on them.
3. Prints/Saves in PDF format - so I can share
Here's what I've found so far, other suggestions are appreciated.
Drawberry (is this easy to use?)
I'm not worried about price so much, just useability, reliability, and intuitiveness.
Finally, I know GIMP and Inkscape are free, however, they are too much of a bother for me.
If price isn't an issue and you have used a cad program, I'd recommend Vectorworks which is what I use for my custom boxes. It doesn't even have to be the latest version.
I've made already a few dozens of boxes and here is how I make them:
1) I measure the deck and add some slack (making a box which is too small is not something you want)
2) Go to the Super delux tuckbox template maker by Craig P Forbes and make a box of the required dimensions. What you get is a vectorial PDF
3) I open the template in Illustrator and:
- Fix some small things
- Add graphics and use clipping to fit them into their place
- Add text and description
4) Many times a game requires more than one box - so copy pasting from one box to the other makes life easier
5) Send everything to a PDF (sometimes more than one box per game) and reduce its size using Acrobat
You can see some samples of my work here: Regex' horizontal tuckbox series for sleeved cards.
As for the software you can use Illustrator like me or use the free alternative Inkscape which is available for Mac too.
DO NOT use Photoshop or any bitmap editing SW! It will make your life much harder.
If you need more instructions, just let me know.