Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Solo player that don't play solo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last friday I decided to treat myself and add Mansions of Madness to my collection. I already played it a couple of times some time ago and loved it. So I bought it, natural behavior

So, after opening the box and looking at the minis, I got possessed with the urge to paint everything ASAP. So here they are, after 3 full evenings of painting.

-First I primed all the minis with Army Painter "Uniform Grey" primer except for the Zombies I used "Army Green" from the same company.
-Then I decided to use as much of the base color as possible to quicken the painting process. For some minis it was a great idea and for others (Zombies and Cultists) the end result isn't that good. But from a distance everything look good and better than the plain grey.
-I applied my base colors on everything.
-I applied some washes on everything. The washes I used are from Citadel paints: Badab Black, Devlan Mud, Griphonne Sepia and Drakenhof Nightshade.
-Then a quick drybrush using mostly, from Citadel: Bleached Bone, Fortress Grey, Scorpion Green, Catachan Green, Vermin Brown, Ultramarine Blue and Hawk Turquoise depending on the mini.
-Ended putting some minor details like belt buckle with Dwarven Bronze.

So, here they are:

SHOGGOTHS

CHTHONIANS AND MANIACS

HOUNDS OF TINDALOS AND MI-GOS

ZOMBIES AND WITCHES

CULTISTS AND CULT LEADERS

INVESTIGATORS

Apart from the Cultists, Leaders and Zombies, i'm satisfied with the rest of them. That's what happens when you don't want to take the time to do a good job

Hope you enjoy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Great stuff!

Really like the brown hounds (I think they are the hounds)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know a damn thing about painting figures, but I really dig what you did with the Maniacs and Cthonians. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those Shogs are really Goth! Well done!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
Great stuff!

Nope, the blue ones are the Hounds. The brown ones are the Mi-Go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
Great stuff!

Nope, the blue ones are the Hounds. The brown ones are the Mi-Go...

Offcourse Go figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the good words!

It's something that doesn't take that long but adds so much to a game! Best example is Dust Tactics, which I completely painted too. The immersion is +4 with painted minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Recently I played Descent with some guys who hadn't played it before. The only thing painted were the bainspiders. At one time they decided to attack the huge Giant instead of the much much easier banespider. Just because the painted one looked so scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jyst finished the Forbidden Alchemy minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's wash then drybrush? I'm still learning, so don't quite get what this order of step accomplishes.

Also, how the *bleep* do you dry brush without getting paint in the wrong areas???

Thanks and good job!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
So it's wash then drybrush? I'm still learning, so don't quite get what this order of step accomplishes.

Also, how the *bleep* do you dry brush without getting paint in the wrong areas???

Thanks and good job!!!

Here's a quick tutorial on how I paint for a quick job like this:

1- Primer (I use Army Painter color primers, they are great and the color primers is a time saver for some minis). I used Uniform Grey for all the minis except for the Zombies, I used Army Green.

2- After it's all dryed up (around 10-15 minutes) I apply the base color schemes on the minis.

3- When dry, I wash the minis. Depending on the base colors, I use a black wash or a dark brown wash. You could use the same wash for every minis if you wish too.

4- Again, let it dry before drybrushing. Simply apply paint on a brush (4-5mm in width), dry the paint on a cloth until there's almost no trace of it on the brush. Then you gently brush the mini everywhere without over applying paint. It's what I call "The Lazy way to highlight" Many better techniques exists but i'm not painting them for show, just to play en enjoy the colors on the board so quick techniques are what I prefer.

I drybrush with a lighter color. For browns and kakis I use light beige like Citadel Bleached Bone. For blacks I often use a light/medium grey.

It's really simple and let me tell you, those inks are talent in a bottle. They do a great job of filling and putting together a mini that sometimes to save some time you could leave the mini that way and it'll look really good.

Hope I could help you a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really excellent work! I took weeks to paint my minis, and I honestly think you did a better job in a couple of hours.

I really must get off my butt and finish my cultists and the FA minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
Really excellent work! I took weeks to paint my minis, and I honestly think you did a better job in a couple of hours.

I really must get off my butt and finish my cultists and the FA minis.

Don't despair! FA minis are quick to paint, especially the monsters if you keep the same scheme for the pairs.

I could have done something a bit better if I took the time but didn't wanted to drag the painting for too long since I had my first game planned and wanted all minis painted lol.

Thanks for the comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.