Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Rules for Middle Earth, The Wizards

For this solo rules, I used the Arda Rules of the Council of Elrond and modified them to make them work solitaire.

In this variant, you don´t use the normal deck-construction rules, instead you use nearly every card of the game, when you construct the play deck.
You construct the following decks (you only have to do this once, you can use them every future time you play):
“Strong” Character Deck: 1x each character with a mind of 5 or higher.
“Weak” Character Deck: 1x each character with a mind lower than 5
Victory Point Deck: 1x each unique non minor item, allies, factions. You can put some non unique cards more often in the deck, if you like. Put every golden ring 3 times in, if you like rings. You may also use cards like “King under the Mountain” (I call them Missioncards in the following), but it´s hard to make points this way, so there shouldn´t be too many of them.
Resource Deck: All the “non victory point” resource cards, including the minor Items. Key cards, e. g. cancel cards, fight cards, and things like “Marvellous Told” “Gates of Morning” could be in the deck up to 6 times. You should also put each ring testing card 3 times in. Furthermore “Far Sight” and “Smoke Rings” a couple of times (they have a special usage).
Hazard Deck: All hazard cards. Many of them 3 times, except if they are hard to play. If there are different artworks, I use 3 of each. Every non unique creature 3 times, if there are different artworks, I use 3 of each.
Ring Deck: Place the One Ring, the Dwarven Rings, the Magic Rings, and a few Lesser Rings aside, you don´t need to shuffle them.

Setup:
Draw a random Wizard. He is part of your party right from the beginning.
Then, as your starting characters, draw alternately characters from the two character decks, starting with the strong one. If you had to spend more than 20 influence points (without putting the characters under someone´s control), you immediately place that last drawn character aside on the table.
This is the first character of the “Character Offer”. This is a line of 5 characters, 1 of them is always from the strong deck, the other 4 always from the weak deck. So now you fill up the Offer with the missing characters.
There is also a “Victory Point Offer”, containing of 8 random cards from the victory point deck. The cards that don´t have a specified location to be played at, are assigned to a random location that fulfills the requirements for that card, i.e. a legendary item can be only played at the appropriate sites and so on.
Draw five Resource cards, hand limit is 5 (6 for Pallando).

Organization Phase:
You can decide to discard one random card (two if one of your parties is in a heaven…there are more rumors about ancient treasures) from any Offer. If in a Heaven you can choose, if you want to discard one from each offer, or two from one offer. Immediately refill the offers from the appropriate decks.
Except for the first turn, you can then bring one character into play from the character offer. This is only possible, if your party is in the same or an adjacent region as the Home Site of the character. Characters can´t enter automatically at a Heaven anymore. You can decide to discard a character under the same circumstances.
If a character heals in a Heaven, he is also untapped.

Travel Phase:
You draw 4 times the number of Hazard Cards written on the destination card. You draw the normal number of resource cards.
If you don´t move, draw the number of Hazard cards written on your location card. Don´t draw any resource cards.
Simply play the Hazards in the most effective way possible.
Long hazard events remain in play for 3 turns. Simply turn them 90 degrees after each turn to keep track of this.

Site Phase:
You can only get victory points from the Victory Point offer, and these cards can be only played at their assigned locations.
If you are at a site, where information is playable, you can play instead “Far Sight” or “Smoke Rings”. Tap a Character. Then search the decks for a card, necessary to complete a “mission” that is already in the Victory Point Offer, and that would give you otherwise no Points at all. Examples: If you had the “White Tree” in the Offer you could search “Sabling of the White Tree”, but not the other way around, because you would get the Points for the “Sabling” without the “White Tree”. If there is “Return of the King” you might search for “Aragorn”.
You can also search for cards this way, that would allow you to test a ring, if you have one. After the test, simply take an appropriate random ring out of the Ring deck.

Victory:
If you have a certain number of Victory Points after a certain amount of turns e.g. 25 points after 7 turns, you win. When counting the points, also the parties that are in the Under-Deeps count.
If you destroyed the One Ring, you win.
If your Wizard is killed or you don´t have enough points, you blew it.

Special Rules:
You can always move with Palantirs, you don´t have to discard them.
If you use a Palantir, you are allowed to take any card you want, that is not already in play, in your hand or to place it next to one of the Offers.
If Pallando uses “Smoke Rings” or “Far Sight” at an information Site, it works the same as a Palantir. “Eyes of Mandos” work also this way.

If you have any ideas for improvements, feel free to post them!
Greetings
Johannes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting these rules. I've played several times based on the rules you showed in your videos; I'm relived to know that the way I played it is pretty close to the way you describe here. I really enjoy these rules, as they allow me to play with all of the cards in my collection. First time I played I won by the skin of my teeth, but I've lost all subsequent plays, sometimes dreadfully

A couple of notes:

Quote:
There is also a “Victory Point Offer”, containing of 8 random cards from the victory point deck.

In the videos, you show only 5 VP offers, which is they way I've played it too. Any particular reason why you bumped it up?

Quote:
You can decide to discard one random card (two if one of your parties is in a heaven…there are more rumors about ancient treasures) from any Offer.

Since (in the rules on your videos) both offers offer five cards, I roll a d6 and play that a roll of six is that I get to choose which card is replaced. A fraction easier on game-play, but simpler than rolling d20 and dividing by four.

Another thing I do is I have six Gates of Night in the Hazard deck (vs. four Gates of Morning in the resource deck). Having more Gates of Night than Morning ups the challenge level nicely without being obnoxious.

Quote:
Ring Deck: ...

So, for clarification: the VP offer includes the testable, unidentified rings and the resource deck contains the ring testing cards (test of form, etc.). When testing a ring retrieved from a site, you do the test and pull the appropriate ring (Dwarven, Lesser, etc.) from the ring deck randomly?

Also, can you still replace one card from your resource hand during the organisation phase?

Lastly, I've had to make a custom spreadsheet for all my site cards with some macros added to choose random sites for the VP cards, i.e. a random major item site. I saw you had one too, but I wanted to make sure there was no easier/simpler way you were doing this.

Lastly lastly, any thoughts on how these rules might play with a Minions deck?

Again, thanks for posting these rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the videos, you show only 5 VP offers, which is they way I've played it too. Any particular reason why you bumped it up?

As you could see in the videos, I was kind of stucked, when there where no more good cards in the offer. So I decided to use more cards... It´s just an idea, if it´s now too easy, I will go down on 6, maybe 5 again.
Quote:
a roll of six is that I get to choose which card is replaced.

I think this is a great idea. I might use a 10 sided die, and do the same on a 9 or 10.
Quote:
Another thing I do is I have six Gates of Night in the Hazard deck (vs. four Gates of Morning in the resource deck). Having more Gates of Night than Morning ups the challenge level nicely without being obnoxious.

There is actually a Long Event (I think "Peril Returns") wich works as "Gates of Night". Because it takes effect for three turns and it´s 3 times in my deck, I think 6 Gates of Night is fine. Of course, it´s up to you, feel free to construct your deck the way it works best for you.
Quote:
So, for clarification: the VP offer includes the testable, unidentified rings and the resource deck contains the ring testing cards (test of form, etc.). When testing a ring retrieved from a site, you do the test and pull the appropriate ring (Dwarven, Lesser, etc.) from the ring deck randomly?

Exactly.
Quote:
Also, can you still replace one card from your resource hand during the organisation phase?

Yes.
Quote:
Lastly, I've had to make a custom spreadsheet for all my site cards with some macros added to choose random sites for the VP cards, i.e. a random major item site. I saw you had one too, but I wanted to make sure there was no easier/simpler way you were doing this

I don´t see an easier way. The advantage on our sheets is, that we can see right away wich site is a possible destination. That made it much easier compared to my time without the sheet. For me it works pretty fine.
Quote:
Lastly lastly, any thoughts on how these rules might play with a Minions deck?

I´m actually working on Minion rules. I think you don´t have to make too many changes. The VP Deck might be an issue, there are even less good cards than in the Heroes deck. I´m also not sure, if I should try to modify the Movement rules for the Nazguls. I don´t like them being so static. I like also the Idea to play with the "Sauron" card. It´s just too cool to play as Saurondevil .
The real challenge will be "White Hand" and "Balrog" rules.

Greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give your solo rules a try soon. I just got all my METW cards back after 10 years or so of them being stored away... and have no one to play with and tons of cards... I think these rules look great. I just printed out a huge map too.
I'll keep an eye on the forums for your release of the other solo rules for minions etc..
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbogert wrote:
I will give your solo rules a try soon. I just got all my METW cards back after 10 years or so of them being stored away... and have no one to play with and tons of cards...
Chris

I know that situation so well It will take some time to go through all the cards and construct the decks, but I hope you´ll enjoy some great adventures in Middle Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a newbie to this game

I have a full set of The Wizards, and 2 sets of fixed, common and uncommon cards. Is this enough to use these rules?

It has seemed to understand that some decks need more copies of each card. I would appreciate a bit more detailed explication about on the composition of the decks.

Thank you very much! (and excuse my english level)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:

I have a full set of The Wizards, and 2 sets of fixed, common and uncommon cards. Is this enough to use these rules?

It has seemed to understand that some decks need more copies of each card. I would appreciate a bit more detailed explication about on the composition of the decks.

I´m not sure what you mean with a "full set of the wizards". Do you mean you have every card of the wizards and many of them two or three times?
Does that include Dark Minions and The Dragons?
And what do you mean with fixed cards?
Merry Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
callasmar wrote:
ruferto wrote:

I´m not sure what you mean with a "full set of the wizards". Do you mean you have every card of the wizards and many of them two or three times?
Merry Christmas

Hi!

Yes, I have once every card of The Wizards, Dark Minions and The Dragons. Also I have 3 times commons, uncommons and fix rarity cards. Fixed cards: Alatar, Gandalf, ... (all cards marked with Fixed rarity). I have 1 copy of each rare cards.

Merry Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruferto wrote:
callasmar wrote:
ruferto wrote:

Merry Christmas

Hi!

Yes, I have once every card of The Wizards, Dark Minions and The Dragons. Also I have 3 times commons, uncommons and fix rarity cards. Fixed cards: Alatar, Gandalf, ... (all cards marked with Fixed rarity). I have 1 copy of each rare cards.

Merry Christmas!

So you indeed have a lot of cards. That should be perfectly enough to play this variant.
You´ll find some basic guidelines for the deck-construction in my rules.
You will need a little experience to build a good arda deck. Nut you can improve it with time...Use simply one copy of each card to start...then look for the unique cards. You should use them only once in your deck. Normally you are only allowed to use a non unique card up to three times. Here you could use them more often, but if you only have them 3 times it doesn´t matter anyhow.
Resources: There are some important cards: Fight cards (Risky blow, lucky strike, Flame of the wizard...all 3x), Cards to improve your influence (Old friends, new friendship?....all 3x), Cards to cancel a fight (Dark quarrel, a few hiding cards.....), Marvellous told (important card), 3 Gates of morning, for my house rules, you need the Far Sight, Ring tests,
Muster to get the factions....You have to find your own balance here.
Hazards: I use every non unique creature 3x, Lure cards 3x, cards that force you to a lure check 3x, all these cards that improve the attack values and the automatic attacks 3x, Gates of Night!!, Peril returns!, Long Winter 3x, Foul Fumes 3x...it´s hard to say....again, you have to try it...
Good luck

Johannes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
callasmar wrote:

So you indeed have a lot of cards. That should be perfectly enough to play this variant.
You´ll find some basic guidelines for the deck-construction in my rules.
You will need a little experience to build a good arda deck. Nut you can improve it with time...Use simply one copy of each card to start...then look for the unique cards. You should use them only once in your deck. Normally you are only allowed to use a non unique card up to three times. Here you could use them more often, but if you only have them 3 times it doesn´t matter anyhow.
Resources: There are some important cards: Fight cards (Risky blow, lucky strike, Flame of the wizard...all 3x), Cards to improve your influence (Old friends, new friendship?....all 3x), Cards to cancel a fight (Dark quarrel, a few hiding cards.....), Marvellous told (important card), 3 Gates of morning, for my house rules, you need the Far Sight, Ring tests,
Muster to get the factions....You have to find your own balance here.
Hazards: I use every non unique creature 3x, Lure cards 3x, cards that force you to a lure check 3x, all these cards that improve the attack values and the automatic attacks 3x, Gates of Night!!, Peril returns!, Long Winter 3x, Foul Fumes 3x...it´s hard to say....again, you have to try it...
Good luck

Johannes

Thank you very much for your reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
Gig Harbor
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. Thank you for posting the videos and the rules for your variant.

I am looking forward to the next Middle Earth video (please do another with the Wizards, Dragons and Dark Minions Arda deck, perhaps with Gandalf as your wizard).

This game can be loads of fun solitaire, even if you don't win.

I would suggest that you have a variable victory level chart. For Example:

25+ Victory Points (VPs): Crushing Defeat of Sauron and Mordor
21 to 24 VPs: Strategic setback for Mordor, Sauron will have to regroup
16 to 20 VPs: Tactical victory for the Free People
11-15 VPs: A Draw
6-10 VPs: Tactical defeat for the Free People
0-5 VPs: Epic failure for the Free People

This way, you will still want to continue to play, even if you can't reach the 25 VPs (I noticed that your spirits flagged when you could no longer reasonably get to 25 VPs in your games). You can also track your victory point totals and keep a record of your adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookwizard wrote:
Hi. Thank you for posting the videos and the rules for your variant.

I am looking forward to the next Middle Earth video (please do another with the Wizards, Dragons and Dark Minions Arda deck, perhaps with Gandalf as your wizard).

This game can be loads of fun solitaire, even if you don't win.

I would suggest that you have a variable victory level chart. For Example:

25+ Victory Points (VPs): Crushing Defeat of Sauron and Mordor
21 to 24 VPs: Strategic setback for Mordor, Sauron will have to regroup
16 to 20 VPs: Tactical victory for the Free People
11-15 VPs: A Draw
6-10 VPs: Tactical defeat for the Free People
0-5 VPs: Epic failure for the Free People

This way, you will still want to continue to play, even if you can't reach the 25 VPs (I noticed that your spirits flagged when you could no longer reasonably get to 25 VPs in your games). You can also track your victory point totals and keep a record of your adventures.

That´s a good idea...thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.