Subject: Sideways Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Reading the forum and I keep coming across references to laying cards down sideways when playing.

I can't find any reference to this in the rules - what is it's mechanic?

If anyone can point to a resoruce to explain this, or indeed explain it to me that would be great.

Thanks,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any resources for this, but people do this to indicate that a card is being "carried" vs. "used." This can be for any number of reasons: you aren't the right class/race for it, you already have an item in that slot (feet, armor, 2h/1h limitations) or you just don't want to use it for some reason.

Edit: Found the reference. It's on page 5 (in the top left corner) of the rules located here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/munchkin_rules.pdf

and it says:
Rules wrote:
You should indicate items that can’t help you, or extras not
being worn, by turning the cards sideways. You may NOT
change your used and carried items during a combat or while running away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right - can't think why I missed that! It's fairly blatent, isn't it

Do they count towards your hand then?

So if I pick up an item face-down, would it go in my hand, or on the table face-up and turned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
realchriswells wrote:
Do they count towards your hand then?

So if I pick up an item face-down, would it go in my hand, or on the table face-up and turned?
Only cards played are placed sideways.
When you pick up a card, it always first is placed in your hand.
You decide afterwards when or if you play it.
Note that the hand limit is only enforced at the Charity step of your turn. There is no limit to the cards in your hand until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have 7 cards in my hand before Phase 4, I can then choose to 'carry' my 2-handed sword and Elf only hammer (both of which I can't equip) so they would go on the table sideways - not counting towards the hand total, but also not counting towards the combat level as they're not active?

Would they go face-up so people can see, or face-down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Face up as you can trade carried items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wells
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that actually makes things a lot clearer.

Time for a game tonight with the missus!

I need some more friends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scarlet Simple
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually wanted to add another question to this thread since it seems to be the place to do it.

During the game there are restrictions on the number of certain items you can equip. For example, you can only carry 2 one hand items or 1 two hands item, 1 set of foot gear, 1 head gear, 1 armor etc.

When tapping (turning cards sideways) items, do they count toward this restriction? Can I have 2 one hand items equipped and 2 one hand items tapped?

This is a HUGE bone of contention in my gaming group and I love this game so I need some answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarletsimple wrote:
I actually wanted to add another question to this thread since it seems to be the place to do it.

During the game there are restrictions on the number of certain items you can equip. For example, you can only carry 2 one hand items or 1 two hands item, 1 set of foot gear, 1 head gear, 1 armor etc.

When tapping (turning cards sideways) items, do they count toward this restriction? Can I have 2 one hand items equipped and 2 one hand items tapped?

This is a HUGE bone of contention in my gaming group and I love this game so I need some answers!

The long answer is: those items do not count against your limit. If you have both hands full, any other hands worth of items just get tapped. The one exception being "big" items. You are ever only allowed to carry one big item - barring any cards allowing you to do otherwise (cheat, Dwarf, etc.)

To be extremely specific, the answer to this question:
You wrote:
Can I have 2 one hand items equipped and 2 one hand items tapped?
is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scarlet Simple
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the quick answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Anderson
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Is there a limit to the number of cards that can be carried? It seems that most of the time cards end up being carried rather than donated. Some of our "backpacks" (as we call them) end up being well sized decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit to the number of cards carried, with the exception that you may only carry one big item, by default. There are, of course, ways to change this. The cards tell you whether or not you can change it, I can only think of Dwarf, which allows you to carry either as many big items as you want, or only two. I don't remember off the top of my head.

However, you are aware that you can gain a level for selling 1000 gold worth of items, right? And if you can manage to sell any multiple of 1000 you can go up that many times (e.g. 2 levels for 2000, 3 levels for 3000). Of course, this cannot be the winning level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Leon
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear ya -- you almost wonder what the point of "Charity" is if you can just carry all your items sideways.

So my question would be: can you just put any item from your hand into this "backpack"? (That's what we call it, too -- I think Steve Jackson called it that when he was on TableTop -- so I'll call it that from here on out).

In other words, are you supposed to be able to play an item first in order to put it in front of you, and THEN and only then if it becomes useless (or you get a better item) you can put it in the backpack? Or can it just go straight from your hand to the backpack?

I sort of assumed the first one, but the Munchkin rules don't specifically address this. Maybe I should make it a house rule Because I rarely use the backpack, but I have friends who will carry LOTS of cards there just so they don't have to give anything to charity. Which seems wrong somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Munchkin rules do address it. They state that One-shot Item cards can be played from your hand or the table. This means that you can play them earlier and wait until you want to actually use them, in order to reduce your hand size.

The rules state that you may play any Item to the table during your turn (or as soon as you get it provided you aren't in combat). Thus, you can have as many Items on the table as you want, including One-Shot Items, provided there are no further rules for that type of Item (e.g., Big Items have an extra rule that you can only have one on the table at a time).

Thus, it is all covered, it's just frequently overlooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Trendafilov
msg tools
My card say "Loose the item that gives you the biggest bonus"
can he choose from his sideways cards or must be item he uses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odb90 wrote:
My card say "Loose the item that gives you the biggest bonus"
can he choose from his sideways cards or must be item he uses?

If you're not using an item, it doesn't give you a bonus. Therefore, he must discard an item he's currently using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Doe
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
You bring up a good point. I would have to say the item can go straight to your backpack. Reasoning: The rules, page 5 combat example, the warrior (assuming he's a human because it doesn't say otherwise) discards the yuppie water (only usable by an elf). At no point could he have used the yuppie water so it was never in play. It's a one time use item, so playing it first before putting it in your backpack isn't physically possible even if the warrior is an elf. Which means it went straight from the deck (or hand) to his carried items (backpack), never played.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/munchkin_rules.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.