BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: feld's games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I love castles of burgundy, then I don't like in the year of the dragon.
I read that macao and trajan are similar to COB; maybe notre dame? what do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend here Luna and Trajan. These both are his masterpieces. I could play only once Macao as a 4 player and didn´t enjoy this very much because of the overflowing, consecutive options i got with may cards that i can activate every turn. Trajan has also many options, but the important informations are better represented in this game. Luna is the shortest of these 3 Feld Games and i enjoy this. You can learn Luna on YUCATA.DE. There i did before and my gamers-buddy bought that last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ellen
Belgium
flag msg tools
totally agree! In my opinion Trajan is the best of 2...with every number of players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
9 plays of Trajan so far this year and my gamegroup still hasn't figured out the uber-strategy for winning - recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the time, you should listen to this episode of This Board Game Life. It's all about Stefan Feld.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9203239#9203239
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
ok, I don't want a game similar to castles of burgundy, I want a feld's game with different mechanics. trajan is often compared to burgundy, also macao has some mechanics similar. I'm looking for a different game, but equally great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carmines wrote:
ok, I don't want a game similar to castles of burgundy, I want a feld's game with different mechanics. trajan is often compared to burgundy,

In what way is Castles of Burgundy comparable to Trajan ? They're totally different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy and Macao are my two favorites of his. I really don't see that much in the way of similarities between them. I've only played Trajan once so far and feel it has lots of potential to become a favorite, but that mancala/rondelle mechanic was seriously brain burning for me and the people I played with. It will take some time to figure out how to use it well.

I also highly recommend Notre Dame, a worker placement kind of game with an interesting action drafting mechanic. I also highly enjoy The Speicherstadtwhich has an innovative auction mechanic. I enjoyed most of Rum & Pirates, a token collection game which is quite light but has some interesting decisions to make. I just found the 'wrangling for sleeping spaces' mechanic a bit annoying. Roma is a nice two-player with an interesting use of dice to activate action cards.

I also didn't care too much for In the Year of the Dragon after a couple plays and we have recently traded it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
The mancala does not attracts me much..between macao and notre dame, which do you recommend? Which of 2 is less similar than castles of burgundy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to give a big +1 to The Speicherstadt. It has simple rules and plays quickly, but the auction mechanic is very interesting and the game is tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carmines wrote:
The mancala does not attracts me much..between macao and notre dame, which do you recommend? Which of 2 is less similar than castles of burgundy?

Neither one play anything like CoB. Macao is better than ND IMO, but Trajan is his best game by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Have to give a big +1 to The Speicherstadt. It has simple rules and plays quickly, but the auction mechanic is very interesting and the game is tense.

+1 for The Speicherstadt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Erratik wrote:

Agreed. Feld's best game by far, especially if you like auctions. The expansion is marvelous too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of Feld's games are very similar to each other so that shouldn't even be a concern. Seriously.

As such, I recommend that you take a really close look at Trajan. I have played almost all of Feld's bigger games, and it is hands down the best of the bunch. Gameplay is smoother, decisions are more interesting, and downtime is minimal.

Notre Dame and Macao are both great games as well (but I still recommend Trajan). Notre Dame is the lighter of the two, and the mechanics aren't necessarily as innovative. It's still a solid game, but the main mechanics resembles 7 Wonders (although that is only about 1/2 of what is going on). Similar to In the Year of the Dragon, both Macao and Notre Dame have a punishing/penalty factor involved. Castles of Burgundy and Trajan do not (I also can't think of one in Luna, but it's been awhile since I've played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Each round in Luna, one of the islands will be penalized 1vp per worker on that island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Trajan and Macao. Trajan does have a point punishment when needs aren't met, but needs can be obtained a bunch of ways, and many times certain actions are more lucrative than working to just fill the 1 need you are lacking.

I also like Ityotd because of the disaster element. Notre dame is fun and innovative, but lighter than I prefer. Luna is beautiful, but not one of my favorites of his. I'll need more plays to confirm this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
+1 for Trajan and Macao. Trajan does have a point punishment when needs aren't met, but needs can be obtained a bunch of ways, and many times certain actions are more lucrative than working to just fill the 1 need you are lacking.

Ugh. How could I forget that? I guess it doesn't feel the same since you're gathering points the entire game, and not meeting a need feels like a very minor setback...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.