Popular Tags: [View All]
João Paulo Vilas Boas
Brazil
Palmas
Tocantins
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened last sunday night. In order to make ZAYH playable for the 3 of us, I've printed the white background pnp cards in colored paper. As expected, the task of getting my two newbie friends into the rules took me less than 5 minutes, and the fun began when I was still explaining them the mechanics!

We played 2 matchs and the total time was no more than 45 minutes, which was perfect for what we had in mind. The average score in the first match was very low when compared to the second one (I won the first match with only 2 survivors alive - 9 points total. However, despite I made 15 points in the second game, I didn't won!). That can be explained because in the first game we were more interested in testing every card ability than actually winning - what resulted in some weird moves, such as when someone sacrificed Prof. Jane to kill Jasper!

As someone else here also pointed out, in the first match we also found the game a bit too random. We tried to adress that in the second game by allowing all players a hand of 4 cards - that shortened the game a but enlarged our options. Everyone approved this house rule.

In overall we found the game very balanced: the most valuable survivors were the most difficult to save, either having abilities that killed them or pushed them backwards, while the ones which were generally easiest to save are worth less points.

The simplicity of the rules and the speed of the game was something that really attracted us all because we've already had enough of sitting for one hour (sometimes even more!) only to learn a couple of rules and game mechanics. Moreover, given the fact that me and all my fellow players are brazilian, the lack of excessive language dependance in a zombie themed game (our favorite genre) was another very good point.

Quick, simple and fun: with such features, ZAYH has surely earned his place among our most-played games!thumbsup

The awesome impression ZAYH caused on us has even inspired us to home-make our own game in portuguese with custom cards! I've started to gather photos from my fellows and as soon as we finish everything I'll post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Can I suggest that you hold off on posting your Portuguese version until after the English version is sent out? There are a few changes in the wording of cards (and some minor functionality changes) that you will probably want to implement in your version too.

What might be cool would be to have Portuguese (and other language) paste-ups - little slips of paper that can be glued onto the cards (or sleeved with the cards) to cover up the text at the bottom, and replace it with another language.

Once the project is done, I'd be happy to help generate these - the card images are all generated automatically from a database, so if you give me new text for the database, it should be a piece of cake!

Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Paulo Vilas Boas
Brazil
Palmas
Tocantins
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the advice and for the offering to help me with the paste-ups in portuguese.

I'll wait until the final version is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.