Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious will the Andean Abyss box be similar to the Labyrinth & 1989 box quality? Everything else about this game looks SUPER high quality so I was curious if the box and art would follow suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not got the actual box -- I won't until everyone else receives it next month -- so I'm speculating. But I will be disappointed if the physical quality of the box is not the same as for all other GMT titles recently that have had mounted boards as AA will.

As for the art, I have had an advance peek, and I love the box art. Because art quality is a matter of taste, you will have to judge for yourself. If you like the art on the other components -- Rulebook, Playbook, counters, map -- I expect that you will be pleased with the box art also.

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! I am excited as you are receive the game it looks really interesting and its going to be fun to learn about a conflict I have little knowledge about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes out next month?!!!
SWEET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot imagine other than usual and almost legendary GMT panzer-like box.

BTW: Polish boardgame company and distributor Bard released localized version of "Twilight Struggle" this year (called "Zimna Wojna" which means "Cold War"). Although the idea and effect of localization is good the quality not so much - especially box and cards. So praise for original GMT quality!

shedwolf: Great avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that Bard will be doing LABYRINTH, someone listed them as a second publisher on the game's BGG page, but I have not seen anything official (not that I am up on Polish medi). If so, I hope that quality will be good....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Bard have in plans localized version of "Labyrinth: War on Terror" in 3rd quarter 2012 and "1989: Dawn of Freefom" in 4th quarter. Some official source:
http://wydawnictwo.bard.pl/plan-wydawniczy-iii-i-iv-kwartal-...

There even was contest on creating polish title for the game. Winning title is: "Labirynt: Wojna z terroryzmem 2001-?" which is in fact almost exact translation.
http://wydawnictwo.bard.pl/rozwiazanie-konkursu-na-tytul-pol...

I have compared yesterday quality of polish "Twilight Struggle" and my fresh copy of "1989: Dawn of Freedom". Quality is worse especially with box, tokens and cards, but not tragic - it's solid standard level. The point why it is not as good as original GMT version is because it was printed in local printing house (generally in Czech Republic) so component and material are just different. I suppose "Labyrinth: War on Terror" will have similiar quality.

But there is another, good point of view. Local printing house means less price - on main polish boardgame store Rebel.pl "Zimna Wojna" costs after calculation about $40, which is lower than standard GTM P500 price. I would like to say wargames are not really popular here in Poland and in Europe. Our neighbourhood - Germany is eurogames HQ so wargamers are kind of underground. However with my friend from poznan boardgame group Gramajda were helping in the biggest polish fantasy convention Pyrkon. We were working in 200-table Games Room, and people was interrested both in "Zimna Wojna" and my copy of "LWOT". So Bard's operations could really increase interrests in CDS and wargames.

Bard decide to make an experiment when "Twilight Struggle" get number one on BGG. The fact that there will be another localizations means that experiment was a success. And it really, really pleases me.

I am wondering if "Andean Abyss" will be spotted. There is some chance because of its eurogame factor. It will be hard to break eurogame frenzy, but I think "Andean Abyss" is worth it and I will try promote it on convents, and for sure at our local week meetings, as I do with Labyrinth: War on Terror (http://www.gramajda.pl/node/1060).

PS. Sorry for long post. I have a kind of good day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One assumes Bard goes to GMT then and licenses the game for publication? That or the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jakob, that is terrific about spreading the wargame word in Poland. I hope that the Bard edition of Labyrinth will help. There is at least one wargame fan in Poland who may appreciate it...

As for Andean Abyss, I suspect that it will have to prove itself with sales in English first ...

Best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One assumes Bard goes to GMT then and licenses the game for publication? That or the designer?

Hi, Joel, I do believe so -- a one-time fee to GMT, rather per copy sold. TonyC would know for sure. vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Jakob, that is terrific about spreading the wargame word in Poland.
In fact it is a lot of fun. I really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to Andean Abyss, GMT is scheduled to charge preorders on the game in less than 3 days (on 21 June). So please get your preorder in if you intend to do so but have not already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just notified of the charge today; so, one step closer to getting this on my gaming table!

Volko: you've done an amazing job - I can't wait to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too - So pumped ! This was my first P500 does anyone know about how long after does it usually ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
Me too - So pumped ! This was my first P500 does anyone know about how long after does it usually ship?

It varies. Best to just keep a lookout at GMT's newsletters and P500 page.

Enjoy!
GregS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Gents!

Andean Abyss will ship mid- to late July (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course). Among other considerations, GMT is striving to make the game available for the World Boardgaming Championships con in PA the 1st week of August.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Glazik
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic news! :-) I was afraid shipping will be standard twelve weeks after charging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Sorbet
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"A son seul aspect n'est-on pas terrasse? Nul n'est assez hardi pour l'exciter" Job 40:28
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Jakob, that is terrific about spreading the wargame word in Poland. I hope that the Bard edition of Labyrinth will help. There is at least one wargame fan in Poland who may appreciate it...

As for Andean Abyss, I suspect that it will have to prove itself with sales in English first ...

Best regards, Volko

My personal little fan, as well as her dad, prefers the original version.
Now we are waiting for Adean Abyss to be shipped - we'll let you know how the unwrapping went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.