Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was out and about on Monday and hit a few gaming stores looking for Fortress America. I was actually rather startled to see that classic Risk was back on the shelves, using the art style taken from the revised box. I was even more surprised to see that the game had reverted back to the classic setup- no objectives, no cities, no lessons learned from revised except to rip off the map style.

Why on earth has this happened?

In my honest opinion Risk: Revised has surpassed the original in every way. It plays shorter, there's more opportunities for a wining strategy, and it's not burdened with additional parts to make the game more than basic role-for-battles. In my opinion Revised should have outright replaced the original in future releases. After all, the option of playing Basic risk is always available with the revised components.

I can't for the life of me imagine anyone would willingly blow 8 hours on a slogfest that comes down to two players, often conceding the game before complete victory. Who enjoys being knocked out of the game early or being reduced to three territories with no hope of a breakout victory? Who likes the same repeated "Take australia" strategy and who likes playing against it?

I can understand the appeal of the classic pieces, fine. But I can't imagine what process concluded that the original, unmodified Risk was a better gaming experience than Risk: Revised.

If you want classic there are still plenty of other options available to get it. The collector's edition vintage set is still on shelves (if you can stand the beveled mess the re-designers did to the board and cards for this "re-release") and the inevitable Target wooden box versions are always going to be classic. Why does the world need another one, especially in place of a much more successful rules-set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Risk Classic.

I love Risk Revised (except the map art, box art, and arrows)

I am glad for the return to the soldiers instead of the arrows or wood blocks, but it seems to me that it would have been better if they had just updated the game pieces of Risk Revised with modern tanks and armored personnel carriers and changed the artwork for the box and map.

Oh well. A missed opportunity by Hasbro...again.

I updated my Risk Revised with soldiers, cannons, and tanks from ATTACK! and play the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I can find to justify this version's existance is exactly for the reason you bought it. Now you have a purchase to replace all the plastic arrows with classic minis. The capital piece can still go both ways too.

I was just feeling very safe in my presumption that classic Risk would only exist in special collector's versions from here on out, and Risk: Revised would be the version dominating shelves. Returning to publishing the classic one (in a big box no less), is a reversion back to a more frustrating game experience.

...Unless Hasbro is figuring people buy these sets for the hordes of plastic minis and wants a cheap way to put them in the hands of consumers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marie
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the instructions of the latest version. The game has been simplified. There are now two victory conditions.

Cease fire card - inserted into deck, when drawn, game ends. Winner is player with most territories.

Control a set number of territories - 25 for 3p, 20 for 4p, 15 for 5p. Winner is player that gets required number first.

Set-up is now done through dealing all territory cards to players and placing 1-2 soldiers depending on how many stars the card has.

In other words, vanilla Risk is now even easier and faster than Revised. You'll have to decide if that's a good thing or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hall
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This latest version indicates 2-player play. What are the special rules or target territory score for 2P? (if any)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.