Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right I have a very specific request for submissions to fill a gap - a pure dice game. By that I am looking for a game that plays with just dice and maybe a score pad, like Cosmic Wimpout, Yahtzee, Zombie Dice or Martian Dice.

Please visit www.IndieBoardsAndCards.com to see our submission process and follow up via email. Games should be fun and fast with good playtesting results- that means the people that have played really like the game and will go out of their way to recommend it to others. I want to find a great game that will take the world by storm.

thanks all in advance for your submissions. I look forward to seeing your creative ideas and getting your game on to store shelves around the world.

EDIT - After seeing many submissions it is clear to me that many designers don't understand the term "Press your luck". Press your luck generally entails the ability to keep what you have, or roll again to try to get more with the risk that you lose it all. That calculated risk is the heart of great dice games, and is what differentiates dice games from games with dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you okay with a game that requires custom dice? Or are we restricted to numbered dice? Either is fine, I just want to know what the parameters are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Are you okay with a game that requires custom dice? Or are we restricted to numbered dice? Either is fine, I just want to know what the parameters are.

Good question - Custom dice is preferred, games with just numbered dice would be a tough sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Good question - Custom dice is preferred, games with just numbered dice would be a tough sell.

Could you imagine Zombie dice without the brains? It would be a game about collecting 6's and avoiding 1's...

I look forward to whatever you end up digging up Travis, I hope whatever it is has more depth than your samples and more charm. Given your track record (Flash Point and The Resistance) I have some pretty high expectations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to talk to John Moller (@CartrunkEnt on Twitter). He is an organizer of unpublished game designers, and helps set up mass-playtesting events for them. Heard him on the latest State of Games podcast episode saying people have been loving Fast Food Dice, which I know nothing about, but is apparently fun and unpublished.

Edit: some quick googling turns up the designer's name as Brian Lewis, the guy who did Titans of Industry for Gozer Games.

Link to Games and Grub, who played it at Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a concept, but still a lot of playtesting to be done. If I feel confident about it I'll pitch it at some point, but I imagine your slot may be filled by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A few questions:

Do all dice need to be the same? Is there a limit to the number of dice needed to play? How many players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
A few questions:

Do all dice need to be the same? Is there a limit to the number of dice needed to play? How many players?

Components requirements are always part of the decision process, but shouldn't limit your submissions.

I don't publish 2 player only gmaes - so needs to play 3+, ideal range is 2-6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound like an odd question/comment but I've seen a lot of great dice games on here that are print and play that may be right up your alley. Have you thought of contacting some of the designers of those games? I'd be willing to do so for ones I know about to potentially get some of them being produced as there are some great games as I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d6s required?

d4s / d8s / d10s / d12s / d20s allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posthumus
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When is the deadline for submissions?

I had a great idea for a witch doctor based game where you "throw the bones" to try and curse an opponent. But now seeing you mention Cosmic Wimpout it has sparked my imagination for a sci-fi themed game with just a score pad and D6's...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
This may sound like an odd question/comment but I've seen a lot of great dice games on here that are print and play that may be right up your alley. Have you thought of contacting some of the designers of those games? I'd be willing to do so for ones I know about to potentially get some of them being produced as there are some great games as I said.

If they are great games then yes. I do look through games that are posted on BGG that have been rated, but haven't found one that fits yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dilly Afterdeath wrote:
When is the deadline for submissions?

I had a great idea for a witch doctor based game where you "throw the bones" to try and curse an opponent. But now seeing you mention Cosmic Wimpout it has sparked my imagination for a sci-fi themed game with just a score pad and D6's...

When its ready?

Always open for submissions - but once I have one dice game it will be harder to add another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
d6s required?

d4s / d8s / d10s / d12s / d20s allowed?

d6s are preffered, but not exclusive. d6 gives better surface area to volume ratio for dice faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this quote from Travis' submissions page.

"You should know that the best way to make a big pile of money publishing games is to start with a huge pile and only manage to lose half of it! Self publishing is hard work that doesn’t pay. A good self publisher is equal parts game designer, graphic artist, craftsman, financial planner, salesman and optimist. For most the decision to self publish is based on an individual’s desire to be more engaged in their board gaming hobby.

You’ll need to love your game to make this work. Let us know if you have any questions, we have some experience and would be willing to share."

I couldn't agree more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
levimote wrote:
I love this quote from Travis' submissions page.

"You should know that the best way to make a big pile of money publishing games is to start with a huge pile and only manage to lose half of it! Self publishing is hard work that doesn’t pay. A good self publisher is equal parts game designer, graphic artist, craftsman, financial planner, salesman and optimist. For most the decision to self publish is based on an individual’s desire to be more engaged in their board gaming hobby.

You’ll need to love your game to make this work. Let us know if you have any questions, we have some experience and would be willing to share."

I couldn't agree more!

While tha tis true, I should change it. Indie Boards and Cards started with the idea of being a marketing collective for self publishers, but that idea didn't really take off. Now Indie Boards and Cards is a full fledged publisher - doing everything but the game design.

I started as a designer, but have more funa and better as a publisher so focused on all the things that need to happen to make a game successful once its been designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posthumus
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Games should be fun and fast with good playtesting results- that means the people that have played really like the game and will go out of their way to recommend it to others.

Would you want it to be put up here on the forums for others to play so that you can see the playtesting results from players comments? Because i wipped up a dice rolling game after you said you would be looking to publish one.It fits your description, uses dice and a "score pad" of sorts. The theory seems like it will work and has a great theme and a lot of flavour for its simplicity. I will put together a play test group tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Princess Fairy Rainbow Unicorn Dice? Does the theme scare you away?

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/9219/princess-dice-prototy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dilly Afterdeath wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
Games should be fun and fast with good playtesting results- that means the people that have played really like the game and will go out of their way to recommend it to others.

Would you want it to be put up here on the forums for others to play so that you can see the playtesting results from players comments? Because i wipped up a dice rolling game after you said you would be looking to publish one.It fits your description, uses dice and a "score pad" of sorts. The theory seems like it will work and has a great theme and a lot of flavour for its simplicity. I will put together a play test group tomorrow:D.

no need to post it here, and please test and iterate before you submit via email.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Person wrote:
How about Princess Fairy Rainbow Unicorn Dice? Does the theme scare you away? :)

the name is a mouthful for sure, and I am still not sure that I am ready to go after games aimed at kids - that is a tough market and a hard one to stand out in.

But all that said, the game has a board, counters, etc so I wouldn't count it as a pure dice game even though it has dice a central mechanic. Really looking for a pure dice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
Random_Person wrote:
How about Princess Fairy Rainbow Unicorn Dice? Does the theme scare you away?

the name is a mouthful for sure, and I am still not sure that I am ready to go after games aimed at kids - that is a tough market and a hard one to stand out in.

But all that said, the game has a board, counters, etc so I wouldn't count it as a pure dice game even though it has dice a central mechanic. Really looking for a pure dice game.

Fair enough.
I've considered re-theming it because it really is a heavier dice game with player interaction and more strategy than just press-your-luck.

Honestly, I didn't think it was a fit for you, I was just being silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:
You want to talk to John Moller (@CartrunkEnt on Twitter). He is an organizer of unpublished game designers, and helps set up mass-playtesting events for them. Heard him on the latest State of Games podcast episode saying people have been loving Fast Food Dice, which I know nothing about, but is apparently fun and unpublished.

Edit: some quick googling turns up the designer's name as Brian Lewis, the guy who did Titans of Industry for Gozer Games.

Link to Games and Grub, who played it at Origins.

Thanks for the recognition Matt.

Fast Food Dice is a game by Brian Lewis that was getting a LOT of positive word of mouth at Origins. It's fast playing, has custom dice, and is an absolute blast. Depending on price point, I'd definitely pick up a copy or two.

I don't know Brian's contact info, but he can be reached at (@brianlewisgames) on twitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the call to action, Travis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that not many games are truly pure dice. Chunky Fighters which is a great dice game even has cards for each guy but that is as small as it gets that I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posthumus
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please have a look at my game and play test it if you have a chance, all feedback welcome, its a dice and "score pad" game.

Thanks in advance!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9397438#9397438
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.