Subject: Group in Edmonton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Human Flie
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'm completely new to the game. Wondering if there is an ASL group in Edmonton Alberta.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
human_flie wrote:
I'm completely new to the game. Wondering if there is an ASL group in Edmonton Alberta.

Thanks!

Those of us in Calgary often wonder a lot of things about Edmonton, Alberta.

Welcome to the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Human Flie
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Thanks for the welcome. Also, many of us in Edmonton wonder about Edmonton. Heh.
With the ASLSK#1 out of print, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the main rule book + beyond valor.
nws online gaming store in the States has it all for $190 including astronomical shipping costs. Any suggestions on where else to try? My usual dealer...errr....supplier (Starlitcitadel) doesn't have it in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
human_flie wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. Also, many of us in Edmonton wonder about Edmonton. Heh.
With the ASLSK#1 out of print, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the main rule book + beyond valor.
nws online gaming store in the States has it all for $190 including astronomical shipping costs. Any suggestions on where else to try? My usual dealer...errr....supplier (Starlitcitadel) doesn't have it in stock.

Talk to The Sentry Box in Calgary. If it is not in stock there, they will make an honest attempt to get it. A lot closer for you, and no customs to deal with, at any rate. They have an insanely large showroom, and generally keep ASL stuff on the shelves, including third party stuff.

http://www.sentrybox.com

You can check their in-stock status right online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Those of us in Calgary often wonder a lot of things about Edmonton, Alberta.

Folks, the Battle of Alberta is entering the ASL world. Stay tuned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Latour
Canada
flag msg tools
We have both Beyond Valour and the 2nd Ed rulebook in stock at the Sentry Box atm if you are still looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walter branham
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dont forget BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 140016. WRB5
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 am
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
nws online gaming store in the States has it all for $190 including astronomical shipping costs.

Please note, our rates are based on the US Postal Service rates, processing (what the banks or PayPal get), insurance, and packaging (around $1). We DO NOT attempt to profit on the shipping rates. We use the US postal service as UPS and FEDEX charge hefty brokerage fees for international deliveries.

Heavy items cost more to ship - there is nothing I can do about that. The post office, or any other delivery service in the world, do not base their rates on what you pay for the game, ONLY the weight of the items. Anything over 4lbs has to be shipped via priority air - no other option exists except more expensive express mail.

This the reality of it.. mounted parts, pieces, heavy manuals, boxes, etc... add weight, and that weight adds up on the postage.

I am a wargamer of 30+ years and I do not enjoy paying for postage any more then any one else, but if someone else can come up with a better solution, hey I am all ears. I ship to Canada every day and I do my best to keep our costs down as much as possible and I do not slide costs of shipping into the prices of the games, and then jack up the game prices, and then try and tell everyone they are paying less, when they are not. That is called the "shipping cost shell game". (Note; We do have some promotional shipping discounts due to minimum pricing publisher requirements.)

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NWS Gaming Store wrote:
Quote:
nws online gaming store in the States has it all for $190 including astronomical shipping costs.

Please note, our rates are based on the US Postal Service rates, processing (what the banks or PayPal get), insurance, and packaging (around $1). We DO NOT attempt to profit on the shipping rates. We use the US postal service as UPS and FEDEX charge hefty brokerage fees for international deliveries.

Heavy items cost more to ship - there is nothing I can do about that. The post office, or any other delivery service in the world, do not base their rates on what you pay for the game, ONLY the weight of the items. Anything over 4lbs has to be shipped via priority air - no other option exists except more expensive express mail.

This the reality of it.. mounted parts, pieces, heavy manuals, boxes, etc... add weight, and that weight adds up on the postage.

I am a wargamer of 30+ years and I do not enjoy paying for postage any more then any one else, but if someone else can come up with a better solution, hey I am all ears. I ship to Canada every day and I do my best to keep our costs down as much as possible and I do not slide costs of shipping into the prices of the games, and then jack up the game prices, and then try and tell everyone they are paying less, when they are not. That is called the "shipping cost shell game". (Note; We do have some promotional shipping discounts due to minimum pricing publisher requirements.)

If anyone has any questions let me know.

Thanks.
Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations

Yes. Postage rates are part of doing business. It's unfortunate that some Canadians (I am not referring to anyone in this thread) have so turned off a lot of Americans to the point that they refuse to post ebay auctions or do other business outside of the Continental 48. Many times I see things listed online that I would love to purchase, knowing full well I will be expected to actually pay for the cost of shipping it to me, only to be told "sorry, too much hassle to send it across the border." What they really mean to say is "Too many whiners before you complained about the cost of USPS, or tried to get me to lie to customs and call it a gift when it wasn't, etc."

I'm grateful to those Americans who continue to do business with us up here, and for my part, I do not complain about the rates that USPS charges, knowing that vendors in the 48 do not have control over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Human Flie
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I see now that I didn't communicate as clearly as I could have. So let me try again.
Shipping rates from the U.S. to Canada tend to be very expensive. I know that retailers have no control over this. When shopping on the NWS site I found the price for the total cost for the ASL rulebook + Beyond Valor + expensive shipping (which, as stated, I know retailers have no control over) was STILL CHEAPER than every other retailer option that I looked at. I didn't state that in my original message. In the end I found some 2nd hand product locally and got the main rule book from a fantastic brick and mortar nearer to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dean Naval Warfare Simulations / Tactical Warfare Simulations (Land/Air Combat)
United States
flag msg tools
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I try to work with international customers however I can. I also recheck ALL shipment costs for each and every order I package - yes, I package ALL of our board game orders. If I find the charged amount was more then required then I post a shipping credit refund for the difference on the order. Sellers CAN control a PART of the shipping cost (AKA handling fees, packaging costs, not overcharging for insurance fees, etc..), but not the postage.

Two of my favorite shipping comments: #1 "Hey, this -whoever- charges less shipping then you.. why?" - are they charging more for the game? If so.. that is why. Some think that our rates are excessive because some seller is showing reduced rates while sliding part of the costs under the prices of the games to make it look better and then turn around and increase the prices of the games.. the GRAND TOTAL is what counts, all else is a shipping cost "shell game". #2 "Why is the cost of shipping more then the game?" - well, if you have a game that costs $10 that weighs 10lb it will obviously not just cost $10 to ship internationally. Even a free or low cost brick of a game (or bricks for some games that weigh a lot) costs money to ship.

I also try to match any competitors' grand totals IF possible - exception, market dump outs. Dump outs are toxic selling activities that piss off publishers and can cause serious dismay with business relations and I will not jeopardize our relations with various industry contacts.

The above are the facts. We will always offer international shipping. I also buy games sometimes for myself from overseas contacts as well so it goes both ways. We also represent various publishers on our store that ship from overseas and understand their challenges.

I appreciate everyone's understanding and for reading my responses.

If there are any questions let me know. Thanks.

Christopher Dean
NWS Online Gaming Store
Director of Operations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.