John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a consensus on the best way to store your games? Mainly to prevent warping of the boards and tiles.

I used to think for sure the best was laying them vertically on the long side or vertically on the short side for bookshelf games. This is by far the best for space. I do store some larger games flat (horizontal) on their bottom side. Storing them this way is fine but it takes up a ton of space since I don't double stack because dishing can occur on the box tops.

I am mostly concerned with the possibility of some slight curving of the boards and tiles within the boxes. Gravity is the main culprit and short of having a zero gravity room installed, what do you think is the best way?
Poll
What do you think is the best way to store your board games to prevent warping of boards, cards, and tiles?
Vertically laying on one of the box sides
Horizontally flat laying on its bottom side
I don't think it matters
I like my boards warped.
This doesn't make any sense I think I need a picture.
      80 answers
Poll created by Jumpshelf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that the board will be effected by the boxes orientation in storage but the box itself may. If boxes are stacked horizontally they appear to get really jacked. My boards haves only warped when I left them in the car too long and the heat got to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to store them under water. If I have too, plastic wrap is my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several Avalon Hill games, which I have stored by stacking them upright in a bookshelf, and they have been there for close to 20 years...as I have gotten back into boardgaming, I have revisited them, and the boards are all fine..

thus, my choice is "I don't think it matters"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
I don't think that the board will be effected by the boxes orientation in storage but the box itself may. If boxes are stacked horizontally they appear to get really jacked. My boards haves only warped when I left them in the car too long and the heat got to them.
I agree. I don't think gravity is really the culprit here. It's moisture and humidity. If you've got that under control, the bits should be strong enough on their own to resist gravity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
I have several Avalon Hill games, which I have stored by stacking them upright in a bookshelf, and they have been there for close to 20 years...as I have gotten back into boardgaming, I have revisited them, and the boards are all fine..

thus, my choice is "I don't think it matters"

This makes me feel better!

gundabad wrote:
Redward wrote:
I agree. I don't think gravity is really the culprit here. It's moisture and humidity. If you've got that under control, the bits should be strong enough on their own to resist gravity.

Yes, I agree moisture, heat, and stacking; are all real bad. I do store my games in a climate controlled environment. I noticed the slight curve on a 7 wonders board that wouldn't lay completely flat, and also on some unpunched Catan boards. Now we are talking a very small amount of curve. I am just a stickler for the condition of my games.

I know that some warping of boards and chits can come from the factory like that. I never forget the time I unboxed my copy of Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner that included a message telling me to flex the boards in various ways to get them to lay flat (didn't work).

I have used books to get smaller boards and cards to lay flat again, but what about larger game boards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
With a humidifier and/or dehumidifier in the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Sharber
United States
New York
flag msg tools
bchlax944 wrote:
With a humidifier and/or dehumidifier in the room.
Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Store your boxes vertically, but take the boardgames *out* and store them flat. Stick a post-it on the box to remind you to not leave the house without the board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel
Malaysia
flag msg tools
have any1 tried storing it for prolong period of time vertically but instead of standing up its stored with the longer part facing down? eg: for power grid

top down view:

_
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_|

front view:

_
| |
| |
| |
| |
|_|

my reasoning is the force will be distributed over a larger area n therefore less pressure on the box.
I been storing my boardgame in boxes(cos i dun live permanently atm) so have to maximize the box space.

Not sure how it would turn out though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the boards are manufactured properly they should never warp unless exposed to extreme humidity. A lot of manufacturers know how to do it totally right and will never have a problem... while some others do not.

Our very first production of a game (Space Junkyard) had some warping issues. Now we have a very high-quality factory and it is no problem at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpshelf wrote:
I have used books to get smaller boards and cards to lay flat again, but what about larger game boards?

a larger book. I've seen some that would cover my entire coffee table surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anyways, I'm in the "it doesn't matter" camp. I've played on board games my dad had as a kid that weren't "stored properly" at all and they still weren't warped. The games were much worse off due to the affects of old age and sunlight on paper products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
I seal all of my games hermetically within an individual environmentally controlled glassed chamber. I prefer helium over argon as I believe the former to be more inert.cool

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.