GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,403 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cut Support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Newcombe
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've bought Diplomacy recently and my friends and I are playing our first game on Saturday night (NZ time).
Having read the rules through once I think I have this down, but I'd like to double check.

A supporting unit's support is always cut when that unit is attacked, except in two cases:

1) The attacker comes from the province that support was being loaned into.

2) The attacker is from the same country as the supporting unit.

Rare situations involving convoys and the armies they carry aside; is this correct?

Thanks
Jonny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmb
You are correct.

It is also important to remember that support is cut whether the attack on a supporting unit succeeds or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nzcamel wrote:

A supporting unit's support is always cut when that unit is attacked, except in two cases:

1) The attacker comes from the province that support was being loaned into.

2) The attacker is from the same country as the supporting unit.

Rare situations involving convoys and the armies they carry aside; is this correct?

There's a slight exception to #1 above that's worth being aware of, although it doesn't come up super often. If the unit providing support is actually dislodged by an attacker that's coming from the province that support was being loaned into, then the support IS cut. For example:

Austria:
Trieste -> Serbia
Budapest SUPPORT Trieste -> Serbia

Turkey:
Serbia -> Budapest

In this case, Serbia can't cut Budapest's support, because the support is being offered into Serbia itself. However if we add in another unit:

Austria:
Trieste -> Serbia

Turkey:
Serbia -> Budapest
Rumania SUPPORT Serbia -> Budapest

In this case, Budapest's support IS cut because Budapest is dislodged. It may not matter, because Serbia is moving out of Trieste's way, and Trieste can just walk into Serbia. However if we add in:

Austria:
Trieste -> Serbia

Turkey:
Serbia -> Budapest
Rumania SUPPORT Serbia -> Budapest

Italy:
Greece -> Serbia

Now all of a sudden the fact that Budapest's support was cut is tremendously important, because Trieste and Greece are both moving to Serbia unsupported - so they will bounce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Newcombe
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou all for your quick answers, and thanks Matt for your example, which looks to me like it could come up during the game. I definatly had to think it through, and play it on the board to follow what you're saying.

I see you like roborally. RoboRally & Diplomacy are very different games, yet it does feel a little the same with everyone moving at once, and working out who has priority where there are clashes

I'm really looking forward for the brutality to begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.