GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,725 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions about multiplayer games (kingmaker...) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think of buying the game, but out of descriptions it seems there is a hang in kingmaker in the games. Is that true? The fact that everyone can do alliances and break them seems nice but I imagine 3 player attack one player in a round is very hard for the defe ding player.

A bit related to this is the fear that it plays like most of the munchkin games. Here all people always gang up ongo the highest level guy. So after a while even the playwr who was at first a lot ehind all others i now lvl 8 or 9 . And most games end causenot the "best" playdr won but the one who had the luck that nobody hat cards left against him. Often the games are a back and forth for a looooong while. Everybody short from winning but nobody can do the last success.

Is AGOT like that?
So do you win games cause you were the best, or cause you had the luck that all other player had to gang up on another player to prevent him from wining, and you are the licky 4th but nobody has any cards left against you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ward
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well in a Melee game the table should be gunning for the leader/biggest threat to win. So if you don't like the idea of people ganging up against you it could be that AGOT won't be much fun.

After a while though I think you will learn to disguise how strong you are in the game and more importantly use cards and titles to protect your scoring drives. So if you get good at that you will win more often. Which in turn builds your reputation as a threat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't compare it to Munchkin at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
I wouldn't compare it to Munchkin at all.

munchkin was only an example for the gangig-up-onto-the-best-so-the-worse-will-win phenomen.

So you would say there is no such playing in Agot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. If everyone you are playing with are poor players then you will run across this. If you and your opponents are good you will almost never run across this. If you are good and your opponents are bad then you will win despite their attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
Depends. If everyone you are playing with are poor players then you will run across this. If you and your opponents are good you will almost never run across this. If you are good and your opponents are bad then you will win despite their attempts.

can you explain why good players wouldnt gang up? In my understanding you have to gang up and do intriguing tabletalk to win (and so be a good player)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good players are constantly looking for a direct advantage. If I knock you down so you have only one or two (or heaven forbid zero) defenders, rather than gaining an advantage for myself I have given all the other players who are after me in the turn sequence an advantage because now they can get unopposed challenges against you without having to over extend. So it becomes a race on who gets to fifteen by power-farming you, and because they had more unopposed challenges with less work they are going to be in the better position.

Good players will gang up on the strongest player to keep them from winning, but are always checking board position, closeness to the win condition, as well as a decks suspected ability to rush, generate card advantage, and ability to prevent you from winning with your own rush. The strongest player at the beginning of a round may be the second to last or last placed player halfway through the challenge phase. Recognizing this and moving from away from continuing to dog pile on the same player and shifting focus to the new person in the lead is a sign of an agile mind.

That is what I mean about ganging up, it was directly in reference to the statement about picking on the weakest player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.