Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the time to get all Anachronism players to reach out to newbies and promote the game. The real cards can be purchased cheaply now online. Plus nearly all of the cards can be printed and used to play the game. I know I don't care if people play with the real cards or the printed ones. Once people know the game and realize they can compete with only an investment of printer ink, it shouldn't be that difficult to get people to try it.

Anachronism is still one of the top 3 card games I've ever played. I hope I can get some people to try to recruit some new players this way.

Here's a link to a site that is doing great things for the game:

https://sites.google.com/site/anachronismlives/home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
~~~I'm all for this! I have been gathering up Anachronism cards for myself & use them to demo the game frequently, both at my house with my friends & with other customers at my local gamestore. I think the game is a lot of fun & is really easy to learn the basics. I know that chances of the game coming back into print are slim...but I am glad to be ale to print out cards I don't have & extend the variety of warrirs.

Viva Anachronism!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camlost wrote:
~~~I'm all for this! I have been gathering up Anachronism cards for myself & use them to demo the game frequently, both at my house with my friends & with other customers at my local gamestore. I think the game is a lot of fun & is really easy to learn the basics. I know that chances of the game coming back into print are slim...but I am glad to be ale to print out cards I don't have & extend the variety of warrirs.

Viva Anachronism!!!

Too bad Indiana isn't a bit closer to Wisconsin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love games played on 4x4 grid!

See:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16754/games-played-on-a-4x...

Though Anachronism is only made it to #11 on my list. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This brings back some good memories! Glad to see the website. Still have my copies of the game stored away. Anachrononism was the game that brought me back to the gaming hobby. It was also how I discovered BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick barbarito
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I finally got my 15 year old daughter to play this w/me and now she loves it! I have 29 warriors w/their support cards and counting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very inexpensive to purchase right now and there are several places to download PDFs of the cards to play and expand your collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker Schlundt
United States
Gainesville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! This still has to be one of my favorite card games because it was just so much fun to see who would end up fighting who!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I wish there were a group of fans going to GenCon. That's only 45 minute drive from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Sounds interesting. This might also be something that could be mocked up on Lackey for playing over the web. Any idea where one can find the rules, short of buying a set? anyone willing to scan and post up on the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmgoncal wrote:
Sounds interesting. This might also be something that could be mocked up on Lackey for playing over the web. Any idea where one can find the rules, short of buying a set? anyone willing to scan and post up on the files section?

The rules are available at:

www.dystemporalia.org

It is better than a scan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Sweet!! Thank you. Soooo much good stuff on that site!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is. You can get almost all of the cards downloaded there to print and play. Those along with the super cheap cards you can get on ebay and it is a bargain to get into. Since the cards aren't shuffled, thickness isn't as issue. You can just sleeve the cards and nobody will know if you have real cards or the printed version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, good to see Anachronism Lives and the great Dystemporalia keeping things going!

rickert wrote:
The real cards can be purchased cheaply now online.

Except set 5 and the many promos.. cry

Been trying to complete a collection, but it's made extra difficult by the fact that I live in Holland and many sellers don't ship outside the US. If my next shipment arrives in good order though, I'll have it all except all of set 5, the starters for sets 4 and 7, and the promos/mail-ins. Not bad, right? cool
[I'm too much of a geek to use proxies.. I.. I just can't. soblue]

I've been busy teaching friends this wonderful game lately, and it appears to be extra suitable for downtime during games which involve possible early-game player elimination.
Also planning to build a custom arena with a friend who designs Warhammer 40K stuff.. Hoping to use miniatures as well.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Absolutely. I wish there were a group of fans going to GenCon. That's only 45 minute drive from me.

What would you say to some games at GenCon 2013? I'm thinking of going and would love to play some Anachronism while I'm there. I've even got some extras of the early promos to give away if anyone needs them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be up for that if I can work it into my schedule. I am working GenCon for Rio Grande and would need to play in my time off from the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Shelbyville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing the game only takes a few minutes to play, then, right? I'm sure we can figure something out, especially if you're there all four days, which I plan to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am to be there all 4 days. I just don't get my schedule for the room until a few days before the con. Sunday is usually pretty light but that's the worlds for Dominion and I need to be there to watch play and decide any card or rule questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick. I've got a pretty busy schedule at GenCon this year, but I'll certainly try and pack a few decks with me on the off chance I get a chance to play. If nothing else it will be nice to meet you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
Rick. I've got a pretty busy schedule at GenCon this year, but I'll certainly try and pack a few decks with me on the off chance I get a chance to play. If nothing else it will be nice to meet you.

It would be nice to meet you too. I will bring at least 5 decks so I can play a best-of-five with anyone. I can be found many times in the Rio Room. I will post my schedule here when I find o9ut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Swope
United States
BOULDER
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
rickert wrote:
Here's a link to a site that is doing great things for the game:

https://sites.google.com/site/anachronismlives/home

The above site features ~40 beautiful "new" print & play warrior packs to add to your collection. Complete 5-card warrior packs, plus a bunch of additional cards to expand your deck-building options. These are not second-rate hack jobs. They look and read as professional quality. The main identifiable difference, if you're looking close, is that these sets do not feature original artwork from modern game artists. Rather, the card-creators have used a variety of impressive, historical images that are in the public domain, many of which are famous pieces of classical artwork.

SET 10 - If you haven't found a good archive for the fan-made Set 10, the above link has downloadable PDFs of each card:

Egyptians II -- 5 new warrior packs to add to the Egyptians from way back in Set 2
Tribes of Israel II -- 5 new warrior packs to add to those from Set 7
East Indians x5 packs
Holy Roman Empire x2 packs
Byzantine Empire x3 packs
11 Promo cards expanding on 6 additional cultures - The Chinese from sets 2 & 6, Norse from sets 2 & 9, Pirates from sets 6 & 9, Aztecs from set 5, and both the Italian & Korean cultures from the fan-made set 9.

NOTE -- The curator(s) of the above made the decision to split what was originally a 5-warrior Holy Roman Empire culture into the separate Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires for historical accuracy. I do not know if PDFs of the original Holy Roman Empire versions of the above Byzantine cards exist. Both cultures were subsequently expanded to greater or lesser degree in later fan-made Sets on this site.

They also created two additional new sets (more like one and a quarter sets, actually) to further expand the game.

SET 11 substantially added to two existing cultures, introduces one new culture, and adds individual warrior packs to four other established cultures:

Native Americans II -- 5 new warrior packs
Byzantine Empire II -- 4 new packs added to the 3 introduced in set 10
Old West Lawmen x3 packs. I understand why these aren't technically "American Frontiersmen", but this game features other warriors within the same culture that lived & died centuries apart from one another. It wouldn't have been my choice to separate these out as a new group, but they are cool and the culture really only matters if you prefer playing Culture Shock (which I do).
Plus, this set includes 4 complete one-off warrior packs. One each for American Frontiersmen, Japanese, Britons, and Holy Roman Empire (bringing the total of this one introduced in set 10 to 3 warriors). These are not just Promo cards, as we've seen with previous sets, but complete 5-card warrior packs.

SET 12, according to the site, was supposed to introduce 2 new cultures and expand 2 legacy cultures. But I assume the curators lost steam halfway through. Life has a way of getting in the way of our plans.

As of this writing, they had introduced the Knights of the Round Table culture (as distinct from the Britons) with 4 complete warrior packs (Lancelot, Galahad, Gawain, & Bedivere).

I am in no way connected to anyone who created these fan-made cards nor those who founded or maintain the site. I'm just an old player who recently got re-interested in Anachronism and have been poking around for hard-to-find information on the game. The link above was very helpful to me and I wanted to try to draw attention to it for other gamers like myself.

ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls