GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: I want to love this game but need some help ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ... I purchased this one when it first came out some time ago. I tried playing through it by myself (as I always do before I introduce it to the game group)
And let me tell you ... I had trouble solving the story and I knew the outcome ...
I played Fall Of House Lynch. I did re-write all the Objective cards so they were actually usefull and made some sort of sense but I am not a great story teller ... thats why I purchased this game!!

There is a great game here .. I know it but I need better flow with the objective cards and the seeded cards. And I need them to make more sense and make it so someone could actually solve the story from the given hints.

Is there a comprehensive re-write of all the base game story lines out there (this would include new more detailed objectives and seeded card story lines)
I did a quick look on the file section but it seems vast and I dont really know what Im looking for ...

Someone help me out here a little ... Make me like this game
Hell I was so excited to play the game I even painted the Investigaters ... and use custom doors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried it yet with others? When I played the scenario with my sons (ages 6 and 9) they had no problem picking up the clues on where to go next. When I played it with my gaming pals, they were upset that it seemed so obvious. I suspect if you have a group working together on it, they'll be able to work it out together.

Btw, sons are permanently scarred now after being chased by a maniac. Probably not the best Dad moment, but then again, I hope to get them to the table again sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Have you tried it yet with others? When I played the scenario with my sons (ages 6 and 9) they had no problem picking up the clues on where to go next. When I played it with my gaming pals, they were upset that it seemed so obvious. I suspect if you have a group working together on it, they'll be able to work it out together.

Btw, sons are permanently scarred now after being chased by a maniac. Probably not the best Dad moment, but then again, I hope to get them to the table again sometime.

I don't think the OP's problem is that he can't figure out which location each of the clues points to. It's that after reading the flavour text on the cards, he can't figure out what the hell the story was supposed to be about! This is a common complaint with MoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Solo player that don't play solo
badge
Solo player that don't play solo
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you rewrite the OBjective Cards in the first place?
Did you tried the game first with the original cards?

This game is clearly not meant to be played solo and do to so would need a huge work on everything.

Try it with at least another player. One as the Keeper and the other as 1,2,3 or 4 Investigators. You'll have better chance at seeing what this game is all about!

I really like playing this game with 2 players, with the Investigator player using 2 or 3 characters. It's more fluid for both and if the Keeper is a bit RPing, this game starts to shine even more!

Don't give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Is there a comprehensive re-write of all the base game story lines out there (this would include new more detailed objectives and seeded card story lines)
I did a quick look on the file section but it seems vast and I dont really know what Im looking for ...

Someone help me out here a little ... Make me like this game
Hell I was so excited to play the game I even painted the Investigaters ... and use custom doors

For House of Lynch, Objectives 1A and 1C make sense.

Objective 1B, also, just about makes sense but I use the following slightly modified text which IMHO fits better into the story:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Walter opened a portal to an ancient abandoned alien city. He tried to resurrect his dead son using the technology he found there, but instead created a monstrosity.

If there are 2 sample tokens on the altar reveal this objective and place a named Shoggoth in the Ceremony room. The keeper wins if it escapes from the Foyer.

The huge creature is growing rapidly. It must escape or soon it will become so large it will cause the part of the house it is in to collapse and bury it.

The investigators win if the named Shoggoth is killed or the last Event card is resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sweet jane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears Mr. lizard is being modest. He has done extensive and brilliant work on a rewrite, in the file section
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74620/mansions-of-madness-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
esey wrote:
It appears Mr. lizard is being modest. He has done extensive and brilliant work on a rewrite, in the file section
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74620/mansions-of-madness-...

Except my re-write for the most part doesn't really change *that* much of the flavour text (except in cases where something mechanical has changed and the flavour text needs to change in order to match). The exceptions are scenario 4 (which is completely re-written) and a few extra bits of text in scenario 1 to make the story clearer. The next version of the file will probably also have extensive re-writes to scenario 5, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the comments ... the story re-works is just what I was looking for ... There just didnt seem to be any real flow to the game and to be honest sometimes the events that occured didnt even make any sense.

By the way ... I know the game isnt made for one person ... I just tried to do a simple play through to make sure I had the rule down pat and to see if the story made sense.

again ... thanks for the advise everyone and I will be trying this one again soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:

I don't think the OP's problem is that he can't figure out which location each of the clues points to. It's that after reading the flavour text on the cards, he can't figure out what the hell the story was supposed to be about! This is a common complaint with MoM.

This is exactly my problem ... and if the story does not make any sense how is anyone supposed to solve it!!

Does anyone know if the expansions have more comprehensive story lines (they should have something for the "dungeon master" to read to give a complete history of each scenario so he could properly understand what is happening with each scene. (or at least what the designer of the story had in mind when desiging the scene)
The biggest problem I had with The Fall Of House Lynch is I didnt understand what was really going on (like ... the lights go out and an explosion of gunfire echoes down the hall then each investiger in the bedroom takes 2 damage ... what the hell was that supposed to mean ??)lots of vague things like that ... after playing with my group not one of them knew what that was all about or why they were damaged for being in the bedroom??

anyway ... let me know about the expansions ...
thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory C
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
100% FUN
mbmbmbmbmb
Explain the card in the context of the story if there is confusion. The game isn't about deciphering the prompts on the clue cards so you don't want them getting confused there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The gunfire thing is the only unclear part of the Fall of House Lynch to me - everything else makes sense based on "Walter Lynch went crazy trying to resurrect his family" and "Walter Lynch obeys slasher movie villain rules (can appear out of nowhere, isn't really dead when killed, etc)". That question came up when someone was writing expanded flavor text for the scenario, and I think the conclusion we reached was that it was a haunting echo of Lynch shooting some previous investigator (like the Event 1 Zombie), though it's odd because that feels like something out of the wrong type of horror story - more ghost than slasher.

The scenarios in MoM all have shallow plots that aren't heavily explained, though at least the Forbidden Alchemy expansion's scenarios have epilogues. You can find a few custom scenarios in the Files section that are much heavier on the flavor text, but the ones with that extra emphasis on flavor tend to be weaker mechanically (i.e. only one Objective so not replayable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The gunfire thing is the only unclear part of the Fall of House Lynch to me - everything else makes sense based on "Walter Lynch went crazy trying to resurrect his family" and "Walter Lynch obeys slasher movie villain rules (can appear out of nowhere, isn't really dead when killed, etc)". That question came up when someone was writing expanded flavor text for the scenario, and I think the conclusion we reached was that it was a haunting echo of Lynch shooting some previous investigator (like the Event 1 Zombie), though it's odd because that feels like something out of the wrong type of horror story - more ghost than slasher.

The scenarios in MoM all have shallow plots that aren't heavily explained, though at least the Forbidden Alchemy expansion's scenarios have epilogues. You can find a few custom scenarios in the Files section that are much heavier on the flavor text, but the ones with that extra emphasis on flavor tend to be weaker mechanically (i.e. only one Objective so not replayable).

Thanks for your input. I dont mind only having one objective per scenario because even when there is more then one plot ... ie. fall of house Lynch ... I still only play it through once with my group because the other two scenarios seem to much the same to bother replaying them .
again ... thanks for all comments everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
salty53 wrote:

Thanks for your input. I dont mind only having one objective per scenario because even when there is more then one plot ... ie. fall of house Lynch ... I still only play it through once with my group because the other two scenarios seem to much the same to bother replaying them .
again ... thanks for all comments everyone.

Really? Are the similarities just from your read through or did you actually try repeating a scenario? The scenarios do play out much differently with different items/puzzle locations and objective/action. Not saying you should play 3 or 4 back to back The Fall of House Lynch, but it's worth returning to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.