GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flares and selected alien race rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) When you pick one of the two flares and take that alien race card you don't get the associated flare card do you? All 10 flares are put back in the deck?

2) So you can only use your races power if you get the flare card randomly from the deck?

3) The only benefit of your race would be to use the wild flare if you get your flare card?

Thank you.

TK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
warmachine519 wrote:
1) When you pick one of the two flares and take that alien race card you don't get the associated flare card do you? All 10 flares are put back in the deck?

Correct.

warmachine519 wrote:
2) So you can only use your races power if you get the flare card randomly from the deck?

No, you can use your alien power right away, whenever it is appropriate. You don't have to have your flare to use your power. If you do get your flare, then you can use its Super effect to enhance your power, or employ a new ability.

warmachine519 wrote:
3) The only benefit of your race would be to use the wild flare if you get your flare card?

No, you cannot use the Wild flare that corresponds to your alien power, unless your power is zapped or lost.

See page 13 of the rulebook where this is covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to make sure everyone's on the same page. Bill's answers are, as always, correct , but I'm wondering if the OP might have some terminology confused.

So the alien power is the stuff written on the big sheet with the square corners. You always have access to that power, unless it's lost or zapped per the usual rules.

The flare is the small card that's shuffled into the cosmic deck, and that has two options on it: a wild flare and a super flare.

Which option you use on each flare depends on your alien power. If the flare matches your alien power AND your power is not currently suppressed from having been zapped earlier in the turn or from having lost the power, you use the super version printed on the blue background. Otherwise, you use the wild version of the flare.

The super version usually enhances or complements, or just combos particularly well with its associated alien power. The wild version usually gives a slight taste, whether mechanically or thematically, of the alien for other people to enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, I want to clarify: the 10 flares are not "put back in the deck" (of Flare cards) but are shuffled into the Cosmic Deck.

There are two decks to start with: The deck of unused Flare Cards, and the Cosmic Deck.

After you deal out two Flares to each player and let them get those Alien Cards and choose between them, both of those Flares are then put into the Cosmic Deck (instead of back into the unused Flare deck) and if playing with four or fewer players, you add extra random Flares from the unused Flare deck until you have ten total Flares in the Cosmic Deck. The rest of the Flares are unused.

I make sure this point is clear because I know many new players will put every Flare into the Cosmic Deck, which makes for a pretty ridiculous game since about every other card will be a Flare, which isn't intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.