GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game Reccomendations For 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Pizza
msg tools
Okay guys ill give you a description of what situation I'm in. Im a 16 year old smart guy who loves board games. Not hardcore but loves to play them. I have a part time job. Here the the problem. My brother is 10 and has a short attention span. Im 16 and have a huge attention span. I buy board games and nobody wants to play them. Ill list a few board games I have

Rune Wars: My brother will not play this too 'boring'. I bought this game and never got to play it.

Castle Ravenloft: He loves this game as do i. Perfect, fighting RPG.

Blood Bowl Team Manager: He loves it also.

Pandemic: Even my 12 year old sister loves it.

Dungeon Quest: Kind of.

Lord of the Rings Card Game: Nope i do but it is extremely complicated. Only my 16 year old cousin and I played that and enjoyed it.

Talisman: He loves it I kind of do. It was great at first but still enjoyable.

The problem is if he plays a game too skill based (rune wars) he gets turned off because i win. If we play a game that is coop i end up telling him what to do because he doesnt understand. If we play a luck game it is no fun for me because it isnt a challenge just... luck. My friends attempt to play these games out of good will but just like my brother either lose or i play the game for them.

I need your advice on which board games you would reccomend for either

- 2 PLAYERS

- EASY TO UNDERSTAND

When i say 2 players i mean games that are built for 2 players. I could never get all my friends to play long complicated games.

Also the game must be preferably short. For example Castle Ravenloft Pandemic Talisman length. About 30mins-1.5 hours.
Thanks for your help everyone

Corey

EDIT: Just saying how bad it is. I think i win 95% of board games i play with my friends and family. No fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend highly Summoner Wars which has depth with simplicity. Lovely.

Perhaps someone knows a good Geek List but most I know list games that are probably more involved than you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars

Memoir '44: It has all the theme, a balance between luck and tactics and some uneven scenarios, so you can give him the winning side and just see how good you can do. It's simple and takes 45mins to play.

Catan: A bit of a classic. You might need to help your brother out a little but its simple and it's high luck means that provided starting spots are even anyone can win. Officially it's for 3 or more but I've played it with 2 far more times and always love it. Your sister might like this one too.

Oregon: A fun little tile laying game. Perhaps it doesn't offer enough theme for you but we really enjoy it. You might need to help your brother a little to get his eye in. Your sister might like this one too.

Carcassonne: A game everyone should own. Another tile layer that again may not offer enough theme. You might need to help your brother a little to get his eye in. Your sister might like this one too.

The great news is you have a copy of Runewars, which means as your brother grows up its bound to see some play and as it is about to go out of print, it is sure to be worth a few quid/dollars/euros in the furture . As for buying games that never hit the table - Join the club - I've got StarCraft: The Board Game and 33% of my collection!

I wish I had bought games at your age. All I bought were computer games and they are all obsolete/worthless now. yuk

PS: You should list and rate your games: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/cuzza4321
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not what you're looking for, but Go has a handicap system which allows players of widely different skills to both play at their full skill level.

On the subject of handicapping games, I've got a similar problem as you when it comes to word games... I absolutely shred my wife and kids at word games. We play Bananagrams and I'm not allowed any two-letter words... and I have to limit myself to words I think at least one of them will know... and I have to choose either only nouns or only verbs. I still win nearly every time. Needless to say, we don't do a lot of word gaming around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How much luck and theming matter here? I would say to look into abstract strategy games, if easy to understand means regarding the rules, and not "game is not too deep". You could go with like Go, for example, and play on a 9x9 board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tally Ho A simply great 2-player tile game.

The Reef Yet another 2-player gem.

Hey, That's my Fish! An up to 4-player tile game, superb for two.

Stratego Just perfect. For 2.

Lost Cities Excellent card game for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 as recomended above is a good casual 2 player game.

I find it to simple for my tastes, but I really enjoy Battles of Westeros so I bought it as a stepping stone towards it.

To my suprise it worked and even the 8 year old has had a full skirmish game she really enjoyed (she had no problem since she understood the basic concept having played Memior 44 before and due to that she demanded to be allowed to play a game of BoW).

This may or may not work in your case (could be a money pit), Memoir on its own is not a bad game though so you might enjoy it on its own (and its likely to get played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of Waterdeep is the only Euro I know that is excellent with 2p.
It is easy to follow & teach. Components are well designed & easy to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.