GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Comparison of 3 D&D games with younger children? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up on some recommendations, has anyone played the three D&D games with their young ones (WoA, CR, LoD). I'm going to be playing with my 7yo daughter mostly and have a few questions.

1)How do they hold up to minor simplification, or do they even need it?
2)Any problems with durability (for highly detailed bits-o-plastic that is)?
3)Do any of the games' sets of quests seem to hold interest better over the long run
4)Are the heroines more numerous or kickass in one over the others, or hypersexualized?
5)Any other highly thematic, yet somewhat simple games with good heroines I should be considering?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

Defenders of the Realm
But don't buy the Barbarian Expansion for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Dave read your post. But Don't listen to him about Talisman it is boring for a 30 year old much less a younger kid.

Sorry I haven't tested the games for younguns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Talisman played at conventions with young children and the rules (though not all the characters) are simple enough for them. I wouldn't play any of the D&D adventure boardgames with children that young.

Once Upon a Time might be better for young kids. Often, they'll make up their own rules which don't break the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I've seen Talisman played at conventions with young children and the rules (though not all the characters) are simple enough for them. I wouldn't play any of the D&D adventure boardgames with children that young.

I'm in this camp as well. My daughters are age 9 and 12 and I have played Talisman with them and it's been a hit, but I showed them Ashardalon and they had no interest.

One huge difference is that the D&D boardgames you mention aren't as much of an adventure, build up your hero and find cool stuff as Talisman is. They are a bit more brutal stripping you down and beating you up from round to round. To my kids at least, that isn't as appealing as something like Talisman where your hero just keeps getting stronger and gaining more cool stuff. You are also in a bit more control on picking your fights in Talisman.

All that said, Talisman definitely requires some house rules to shorten the game play, increase movement options, and eliminate player vs player battling (you can trade instead). The Talisman forums are full of good variants on this and it's really critical to use them as games that exceed 90 minutes will almost always fail with young kids.

If D&D is your goal, then Lords of Waterdeep is an excellent choice. My family loves it. It's easy to teach, it's quick playing, and it's full of accomplishments (quest completions) throughout the game. That scores on all three categories I find to be important with playing with the kids.

Another one you may want to consider is Kingsburg. Not quite true fantasy but neither is Lords of Waterdeep if you really analyze it, but Kingsburg can be a hit with the kids. It's also quick to teach, and has mini accomplishments throughout the game. It's a bit longer, but not too long, and it has the bonus of exploring math and playing with numbers with the kids. A nice choice in my opinion.

Castle Panic is also worth looking at but in my household the kids aren't as big of fans of co-ops as competitive games.

I'd love to recommend Defenders of the Realm, but for a 7 year old, it's probably too much to teach and too many choices. It's also pretty darn hard to win with just two heroes so that might be a "co-op" negative as well. The art work choices for the female characters aren't all ideal either.

That's all I have to suggest in the Fantasy-ish realm based on my experience with my daughters. For non-fantasy: Carcassonne, Alhambra, and Dominion are all great with kids, as is anything made by Gamewright or North Star Games.

In summary, my leanings with kids are always:

* Quick to teach
* Elegant rule set
* Has rewards and accomplishments throughout the game rather than just a big scoring at the end.
* Fast rounds and short time duration
* Has a healthy amount of luck

When you add those up, it does quickly lean to games like Incan Gold over anything made by Fantasy Flight.

Have fun.

p.s. Most of the fantasy based games I mentioned that have characters in them have strong heroines. Also, if you do go D&D, go with LoD or WoA. As the game system evolved, it got friendlier in benefits and loot in my opinion. I like them myself and definitely think you should own one of them, but I'm still not confident that they'll work with a 7 year old girl. Your milage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I don't think Dave read your post.

I was responding specifically to question #5 in the post, which I read, about other game recomendations which could be fun for kids (with some possible simplification).

Syvanis wrote:
But Don't listen to him about Talisman it is boring for a 30 year old much less a younger kid.

See other responders for support of Talsiman with kids. Very effective with kids.

Syvanis wrote:
Sorry I haven't tested the games for younguns.

I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC is reprinting the classing TSR Dungeon!

You may want to check it out, but I don't think any new graphics are available. You could always use found fantasy graphics to make female versions of each hero type if they don't come with the new game. (I don't recall if there were even hero graphics in the oldskool version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
WotC is reprinting the classing TSR Dungeon!

Thanks for sharing this. It does seem like an excellent fit. I'd like to get a copy myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.