GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Samurai Battles» Forums » General

Subject: CCA: Samurai rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

The game looks nice and it will surely be great to play.
I was wondering, what if you have the choice, would you:

1) Play/buy this game

or

2) Play/buy the GMT CCA version (with of course the wooden blocks) if GMT would have done this one?

Happy gaming all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the subject matter, I'd probably buy it even if it was a block game. However, since I am also a minis gamer, the figures push the game over the top and make it a "must-buy".

[Still waiting, impatiently ...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally both

The minis are beautiful (I already bought some single units), but I have the following concerns:
1. Zvezda has yet to show that they can give continuous support for the C&C game. My impression is that they really want to.
2. The limited number of scenarios is somehow sobering, which makes the support even more imporant.
3. Do they allow/encourage a vassal module?
4. The focus of the box seems a little bit more on the AoT side, e.g. I'd like to use the trays, but they have the wrong number of slots for C&C.
5. Storing 122 blocks is much easier than storing 122 miniatures
6. The downloadable rules PDF does not allow searching, copy&paste or reflow of text and is single columned, which makes it more complicated to use and harder to read. Rules from GMT do not have this problem.

I am not that concerned about the durability of the minis, I already had to try how good the spears can be glued and it works fine

And I really like that they included terrain elevation tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely play it.

I'm on the fence about buying it because of the storage space required.

I can play with either miniatures or blocks and I use hill risers, ho/oo trees and ceramic houses to enhance all of M44, CCA and CCN.

Personally I think I am leaning towards blocks a little more lately as the ease of use far superior and the look of troops lined up on the battlefield is still pretty good.

The other two regular players in my group are both very pro-blocks for the ease of use as we are forever catching spears/bayonets on our clothing and knocking figures all over the place.

In terms of scenarios, there is already one fan Battlelore epic samurai scenario that wouldn't require much conversion and the Art of Tactic scenarios may be easy to convert.

Phill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly would buy it if GMT had a version with blocks, too. I may make a set with blocks for travel.

As far as storage goes, my chief fear is breaking the spears. I think once it's assembled and painted, storage won't be as big problem as protecting the spears.

Maybe a box the size of the new BattleCry:150 box with a lot of packing material will be enough. If I figure something out once I put it all together, I'll share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
I wouldn't buy a block version. Mainly because I am planning to use a different rules set, and I find the C&C rules a bit light for my liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

As far as storage goes, my chief fear is breaking the spears. I think once it's assembled and painted, storage won't be as big problem as protecting the spears.

Perhaps detachable spears, using tiny earth magnets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those spears are finer than uncooked "angel hair" spaghetti! I don't know what I'll do, but I'll post when I finally cross that bridge!

Don't get me wrong. They are superb figures. I just don't know how they'll hold up during play. But I'd say the spears on the old figs from MB's Samurai Swords/Shokun/Ikusa are more robust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Perhaps detachable spears, using tiny earth magnets?
That seems like more trouble than its worth. If the spears are that fragile, one can replace them with piano wire or brass rods (the latter are available at most model railway stores). Piano wire is very resilient: I stepped on a dropped spear for 25mm Renaissance cavalry and it went through my toe! No harm to the spear, but that hurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
red black wrote:
fenyan wrote:
I wouldn't buy a block version. Mainly because I am planning to use a different rules set, and I find the C&C rules a bit light for my liking.

Art of Tactics or something else?

I would naturally give the C&C rules as well as the Art of Tactics rules a try just to see what they're like. Our group has a Napoleonic rules set one of the guys is playtesting and we're going to convert it over to Samurai period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my collection I would say its safe to say if its C&C it appears not matter block or minis, I will purchase it.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.