GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Challenge Declaration and Running out of Plot Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, a couple of question from our first play through.

During the Challenge phase the activate player may declare and resolve three challenges, one of each type, must he declare these challenges (along with their participants) all up front and then resolve them in the order he chooses or can he declare a single challenge, resolve it, and then declare another challenge?

If you can declare and resolve one challenge at a time what happens if a card is stood up at the end of a challenge? Could that character be used in a subsequent challenge of a different type?

And one other question. What happens when you run out of cards in a deck? Do you automatically reshuffle? In particular we ran out of our plot decks seemingly very quickly. I can't find anything about it in the rulebook at all. I'm pretty sure you just reshuffle the deck but I can't find any thing in the rulebook about it.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
when it is his turn, player only declares challenges after each others in any order he chooses (unless plots forces some order).He may not declare all upfront, not even how many. He could declare no challenge, only 1 or 2 or 3 or more if plots allow.
The reason for not announcing all upfront :his strategy might be affected by what his opponent does for defense for each challenge, or opponent might adapt his defense strategy.

plots are reshuffled when out. It is in the rules, although i dont have them with me right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furyn wrote:
And one other question. What happens when you run out of cards in a deck? Do you automatically reshuffle? In particular we ran out of our plot decks seemingly very quickly. I can't find anything about it in the rulebook at all. I'm pretty sure you just reshuffle the deck but I can't find any thing in the rulebook about it.

Page 11 - Reshuffle Return to hand all except the last plot card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, challenges are not declared up front. And any character with the appropriate icon that is standing can be knelt to participate in a challenge, the game doesn't remember (nor does it care) if it has already been in another one.

I want to clarify that you don't ever need to shuffle the plot deck, since you can choose one each plot phase, they are not drawn randomly. Here's the relevant text from the rulebook:

Quote:
Each player simultaneously chooses and reveals
one plot card from his plot deck. Plot cards are
kept in three states: in the plot deck, revealed,
and used. When you reveal a plot card during
the plot phase, it moves from your plot deck to
a revealed state. When you reveal a new plot
card, place it on top of your previously revealed
plot card. (All plot cards under your currently
revealed plot card are considered your “used”
plots.) If this was the last card in your plot deck,
return all your previously played plots (except
the one just revealed) to your plot deck after your
revealed plot has taken effect.

And if you run out of cards in your house deck (extremely rare), there's no reshuffle. You simply don't draw any new cards, so unless you're really close to winning, chances are you will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ironJames wrote:

And if you run out of cards in your house deck (extremely rare), there's no reshuffle. You simply don't draw any new cards, so unless you're really close to winning, chances are you will lose.

Team Greyjoy says hi.. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furyn wrote:

Just to clarify, there's almost never a reason why you would have to shuffle your plot deck. Plots are either in unused, revealed, or used state. Except when changed by a handful of card effects, you choose your plot card each round from your unused plots. After you resolve your seventh plot, the previously-used six go back to unused state (your revealed--seventh--plot does not). You can then choose (again, unless a card effect says otherwise) from any of those six when you start the next turn and the seventh plot changes to the used state.

Once the game has begun, you only shuffle your draw deck when specifically instructed to by a card effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-read the section on plots in the rule book. These cards are not elected at random, each player chooses among their unused/unrevealed plots for their next plot card. When the new plotcard is revealed the previously revealed plot card goes to your used pile. When you need to reveal a new plot card and have none left in your unused pile you take your used pile and flip them back over moving them into the unused pile while your currently revealed seventh plot card remains in its revealed state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Urban
Brazil
flag msg tools
Ok, sorry for digging up this post, but does that means to use again the effect of a "when revealed" Plot Card, I must to use all other unrevealed cards in order of it wins the status of unrevealed again?

For example, the effect of killing all but three from the card "Wildfire Assault" can be used one time in seven turns/rounds?

Wildfire Assault reference: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/core-set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose when to play a Plot. You may choose any Plot in your Plot Deck to play.

If you play Wildfire Assault as your 6th Plot, you get it back after playing your 7th Plot. You could then play WF again as your 8th Plot.

Core Set Rulebook, Page 11.

Plot cards are
kept in three states: in the plot deck, revealed,
and used. When you reveal a plot card during
the plot phase, it moves from your plot deck to
a revealed state. When you reveal a new plot
card, place it on top of your previously revealed
plot card. (All plot cards under your currently
revealed plot card are considered your “used”
plots.) If this was the last card in your plot deck,
return all your previously played plots (except
the one just revealed) to your plot deck after your
revealed plot has taken effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.