GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » General

Subject: Trash a card currently in play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if a card in this set might have a "trash a card currently in play" type action?

I can't really think it out too much, but that's my idea.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how useful that would be. But after playing Ascension, I really wish Dominion had one of those "trash a card from your hand or discard pile" cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The main cards you want to trash are Estates, Coppers, and Curses. Such a card could never trash Estates or Curses, and it would need to be a Treasure in order to trash Coppers... and in that case, it's probably too similar to Loan.

I guess if it were a trash-for-profit effect instead of a flat trash, it might be possible, but I wouldn't put any money on such a card showing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The main cards you want to trash are Estates, Coppers, and Curses. Such a card could never trash Estates or Curses, and it would need to be a Treasure in order to trash Coppers... and in that case, it's probably too similar to Loan.

I guess if it were a trash-for-profit effect instead of a flat trash, it might be possible, but I wouldn't put any money on such a card showing up.

I was thinking about it:

4/5 cost
Action card
"Trash a card currently in play to gain $ equal to cost"

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like that could get messy with KC/TR+durations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think that a trash/remodel a card in play works well. Maybe this would work:

Replace
cost = 2 or 3 coins

Action/Reaction

+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the supply. Gain a card of the same cost and put it in your hand.
------------------
If you gain a card, you can reveal this card from your hand and gain a different card of the same cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a rest action like Thunderstone where you take a turn to rest and trash a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There will never be an official "trash a card currently in play" card. Why? Because the card currently in play serves as a reminder of its effects. It's the same reason you keep Throne Room and King's Court in play when played with Duration cards.

And trashing a card in play and causing its effects to go away is messy. What if it provided actions and you used them? What if it was Masquerade?

I could see, but doubt, the possibility of a "trash a card in play during your cleanup phase," but then that has issues with cards that do things during your cleanup phase like Herbalist or Treasury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree with any of your arguments, Buggy. Mainly because Mining Village pretty much contradicts both of them. It's trashing itself, yes, but that's still trashing from play, you keep the benefit of the trashed Mining Village, the card disappears from your play area to keep track of itself, and unless a card says 'while this is in play', it's effect happens when it gets played, not while it's in play. Trashing during your cleanup phase is also very easy, you just copy Scheme's wording, but replace 'put it on your deck' with 'trash it'. In case of Scheme and card X both choosing the same card, well firstly you're just being silly, but current player would choose the resolution order and then the lose track rule would prevent the second card doing anything (Scheme trys to move a card in play... the card is in the trash, Scheme has lost track of it and doesn't move it and vice versa).

I think this could work. It'd most likely be a trash for benefit or trash during cleanup type card, because of the reasons Salty pointed out. A cantrip 'you may trash a card during cleanup' would probably be worth either $2 or $3, I suspect. Probably $3. It can only trash coppers usefully, so it'd be a cantrip that slowly, freely trashes copper. Compare to Loan. It might just be versatile enough to be worth $4... but Loan is meh enough at $3 so I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
^ Agreed, Loan is meh at $3. 99% of its use is to trash Copper, however, sometimes it even discards your rare and precious Silver or Gold. Why does it have to discard those and does not leave them on top of the deck? To make multiple Loan work? I never bought two Loans in one game. Maybe I should try it. But why does this cost $3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
I don't agree with any of your arguments, Buggy. Mainly because Mining Village pretty much contradicts both of them.

You make a good point in that there are a number of cards that do something then trash themselves from play (Mining Village, Feast, Embargo), but I still don't think there will ever be a card that trashes another card from play for the reasons that I listed. With Mining Village and Embargo you do need to still keep track of what they've done, but that isn't too hard. The more you trash in play the harder it becomes.

I'm willing to say that I could be wrong. The cards are still there; they could be moved to an "actually in the trash but my other effects are still in play" pile just to keep them in reference and in case there ever is a card that removes cards from the trash or counts them or affects them in some other way.

Still, I just don't think it will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
When we play with cards like Mining Village that trash themselves, a lot of the time we leave them with our other in-play cards but tap them to mark that they've blown themselves up, are technically in the trash, and will be placed in the trash pile instead of discarded.

The problem with extending this to "tap any card to show it's been trashed" is that we mean different things when we tap different cards. So a tapped Mining Village has self-destructed, but a tapped Nobles means it is producing +2 Actions instead of +3 Cards, a tapped Pawn is producing +$1, and so on. To apply the "trashed from play but left out for reference" shorthand to other cards, we would need to do away with all of that.

This overall just seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chun1702 wrote:
^ Agreed, Loan is meh at $3. 99% of its use is to trash Copper, however, sometimes it even discards your rare and precious Silver or Gold. Why does it have to discard those and does not leave them on top of the deck? To make multiple Loan work? I never bought two Loans in one game. Maybe I should try it. But why does this cost $3?

You don't seem to understand what I meant. Loan is a good card, definitely worth $3, especially in Colony games. But it's not exactly one of the top $3's, so making another similarish card that's a little better, but different, at the same price is okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I was wondering if a card in this set might have a "trash a card currently in play" type action?

I can't really think it out too much, but that's my idea.

-DK

I absolutely think this is a do-able ability. There would be nuances to figure out, but anything the card did (adding actions, buys, money) would be in effect until your cleanup phase as it is when you play a card. Since these would remain in effect, multipliers like Kings Court would interact fine. Duration cards would loose any effect they might provide at the start of next turn.

At least, the above is my interpretation of the rules. And IF that interpretation is correct, a card trashing a card in play could make it function in a different way if the abilities on the card stated so (Dominion being a type of game where there is a set of basic rules, and the cards played change/break/modify those rules). For example "trash a card in play, loose all unspent {coin symbol} provided by that card". It says unspent because Black Market may have been played already, allowing a Buy during the Action phase. Meaning, with careful wording, abilities could apply to any type of card (such as Treasure) too.

I think it all comes down to how an ability is worded, and that it doesn't leave room for ambiguity when taken in the strictest logical sense (though that sense may or may not break from "common sense").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.