GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,455 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'm afraid I cannot ignore the pretty lady and the thunder storm ¬_¬

Portal = hot
Tron = hot

Do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
hmm.....

Hackers - the old 90's film. That was fantastic. I loved this film so much. And I suppose somewhat relevant? Again there is a nice seen at the end when everyone is sending viruses to the baddy team that has some cool visuals. Also a "kawaii" asian-style keyboard that has no letters.

The Lawnmower Man - again an old school sci if film that tried to show what it would be like to live inside a computer - very psychadelic and quite cool, which reminds me of,

The Minds Eye - A series of computer generated visuals set to some early electronic music (protip: this was what computer animation was before pixar) - very early 'futuristic computer' stuff

Johnny Mnemonic awesome old film that has a couple of dystopian computer related visuals in it with keanu reeves!

The matrix - obv.

But to be honest,
1. hackers is a bit too reto. I remember from your card designs that you weren't interested in going the whole green text on black screen "super ultra hacker" thing, but more modern easy hacker/virus style using a modern GUI as a base.

2. The lawn mower mans is super psychadelic and maybe too colourful to be labeled as "inside a machine"

3. The minds eye is cool but again, this was "the future" as imagined a long time ago (in technological developmental terms) so may be seen to be a bit dated

4.Johnny Mnemonic is awesome. I havent seen it in a long time, but I remember it to be quite ahead of its time (way before the matrix btw). I cant remember, other than dystopic scene layouts and clever ideas, too much of the "hacker art concept" that it protrayed. Much in the same way that the fifth element was a great scifi film and had some amazing ideas - but perhaps not too much we could lift for art concepts

5. The main thing about the matrix is the whole green falling matrix numbers - which because of its popularity - is very easy to distinguish. If you took reference from this, people would very easily say "ah man he just took that from the matrix..." so perhaps good perhaps dangerous?

6. Portal is an awesome game with some very cool style character architure, mostly regaurding the turrets / wheatley / portal gun and that kind of thing - its very sleek, white plastic future - which is the kind of thing you are going for really. Sleek modern computers of getting viruses

7. Tron was previously in the "old school scifi" catagory, but recently it had a massive update (with the new film) and was trendy enough to even include music and visual features from Daft Punk who are still a hip, happening music producer. Very current. Very cool

So all of those potentials considered, Portal and tron are most probably the most up to date and "workable" inspiration to use. So in other words:

tl;dr

Portal = hot
Tron = hot

Do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Really, even if the game was almost a tit-for-tat rip-off of Tron, I think you'd have gold. Tron lends itself to BGs so much it's crazy this property hasn't been exploited to death already.

I love both Tron films, though IMO the design work Mobius and others did on the original Tron is absolutely timeless. One of the most stunning films ever.

There's also the new Tron Uprising cartoon on Disney. I've only seen the first episode, but it's QUITE good so far, and it details the Tron Legacy designs much further.

For other similar inspiration, you might want to try the original Marvel comics Transformers - mainly the stuff on cybertron.

There's also the Reboot cartoon from the 90's. Not personally a fan, but maybe that'll help you, too.

Oh... and THX1138 has a very "in the machine" feel to it. Might also be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'd go for:

A.I.
Wally
Screamers
I also found this for you David:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/AIMOVIES/AImovai.htm

also this (heavy image download )
http://conceptrobots.blogspot.co.uk/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.