GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,609 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Homemade custom storage box - The Big Box III + The River II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Conrad
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
This is my first post, I hope you like it! I recently discovered Carcassonne, and I love it. I went straight out and bought the big box III, (and the river II) and much to my chagrin, they weren't kidding about the size of the box (Hint: it's big) so I started thinking about how I could shrink down the amount of shelf space the game consumed. Here's what I came up with:

Result: the final product takes up about half the cubic inchage of the big box while organizing all of the pieces better, plus holds the river II expansion, which does not come with the big box. It's made out of 1/2 inch Pick N' Pluck foam with 1/4 and 1/8th inch foam for trim to ensure a snug fit for all of the pieces. The box was a two-bottle wine gift box that I pulled the bottle supports out of. The box was about $25 on amazon, the foam ran about $20, but also cost $20 to ship to Alaska (though I have more than half my order of foam left over, so I'm planning to use it on a similar Dominion project) the bags were made out of scraps from my girlfriend's sewing projects, and the foam was glued together with almost a whole bottle of rubber cement.

Future planning: the only thing missing is the instructions, which could be placed behind the score board, however I plan on printing up a QR code to the PDF of the rules and mod-podging it into the space between the score tiles and the start tile. I also hate shuffling and stacking the tiles around the table, and an elegant solution is a large bag that the tiles can be shaken in, then passed around to draw tiles, and the original concept was that I could make a bag like that, then keep at least the base game tiles in the bag ready to play. I still plan on making the bag, but I doubt it would fit in the finished box with any tiles in it, but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done and very cool.

Much nicer looking than my $2 plastic storage tray. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You chose a very nice box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY NICE! You did a great job with the foam. I'm going to have to find a similar box and make something like that myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incognitum wrote:
This is my first post, I hope you like it! I recently discovered Carcassonne, and I love it. I went straight out and bought the big box III, (and the river II) and much to my chagrin, they weren't kidding about the size of the box (Hint: it's big) so I started thinking about how I could shrink down the amount of shelf space the game consumed.

Nice first post. surprise

Welcome. Here's some geekgold to get you started on customizing your account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lee
msg tools
Amazing case, inspires me to make one of my own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Conrad
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Awesome, post pics when it's complete!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Graham
United States
San pedro
California
flag msg tools
Fantastic! How were you able to cut the foam so precisely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Conrad
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
The pick'n'pluck foam comes in 1/2 inch sheets comprised of 1/2 inch cubes. You literally pluck out the pieces you don't want. For places where exact 1/2 inch measurements were too lose I also bought sheets of 1/4th and 1/8th inch foam (non pick'n'pluck) to inlay. I cut them with my girlfriend's sewing tools, specifically there's a thing kinda like a pizza cutter that I used in conjunction with a straight-edge to get those strips the right size, then I used about a bottle of rubber cement to hold all the layers of foam together. Some places it was more convenient to cut excess cubes in half rather than cutting foam strips, but the process was the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.