GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » Rules

Subject: Increase difficulty for invaders further? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Leitges
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
Hello all,

Just played on the weekend the first round of the revised game. I think that the FFG improvements overall are working well. Especially the custom dice work good since u don't have to check the tables all the time. Only thing that could be improved on this is that the combined hits symbol (explosion without circle) should look like the normal hit (no circle)and vice versa...

Regarding the difficult level - i think it works much better for the US Player if the invaders have only 5 renforcement units / turn. Then he stands a chance with this set-up. Intersting question: How do u handle the invader cards with this rule? (It says in the rules either 8 units or 5 units and a card). Anyone expierence with the US player starting already with one or more lasers in order to increase the difficulty for the invaders?

Cheers,
Fasl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played a few games with the new Invader cards. The US lost every game. Red Dawn and Washington Is Burning are just brutal.

Perhaps the Us Player should draw 3 Partisan cards per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brehob
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I've not played the new version.

We've found that well played (and cooperating) invaders generally win. Our solution for 2 player games was a bidding mechanism. Each player would write down a number. That was how many extra Partisan cards they would get if they played the US. Low bidder got the US and a stash of that many cards (1-3 generally with 2 and 3 being the most common by far) from the top of the deck. The US player could play up to one partisan card from their stash per turn (in addition to their normal ones).

It was a pretty reasonable balancing mechanism. Still a lot of luck as some of the cards are _really_ good at the right time. So if you get those, you can rock it out by timing the card or setting an ambush knowing you can get the card when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is damn brutal on the U.S. player. In fact, I would say the U.S. player stands very little chance of winning playing the game as is.

This is what we did - The invaders got 5 reinforcements per turn and only drew Invader cards when the U.S. player got an extra Partisan card. This seemed to work well, but was still pretty brutal on the U.S. player (me) and the U.S. lost, but on turn 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.