GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,324 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Any variants for speeding up battles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since you can look at your opponents un-played cards any time it seems like deciding if to attack AND then deciding what cards to play are the biggest time waster.

I perceive one of the problems to be that you just aren't quite sure what special abilities are in your opponents hand which is why people often look at their opponents hands. Special abilities don't add any "randomness or luck" because they are knowledge you have before the attack.

Has anyone tried a variant where you don't use special abilities?

I would think this variant would work well with the TOB cards. creating a more simplified set of things to think about in a battle while retain some randomness.

My overall question is basically is there a way to speed up the process people go through on whether to attack and then what card to play?

I have looked for a high quality "cheat sheet" with the special abilities to print off for reference but have only found ones that when printed are unreadable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a cheat sheet on bgg that i've printed aged find readable. I modified it to be double sided. Aside from that, we leave the discard in pain view of all players at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dolus wrote:
There is a cheat sheet on bgg that i've printed aged find readable. I modified it to be double sided. Aside from that, we leave the discard in pain view of all players at all times.

Did you upload the readable version?

Discard is never the problem, it is the fear of unplayed special abilities.

I apologize for putting this in the wrong forum. Could a mod please move it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
Dolus wrote:

I think he meant that he finds it readable. I've played with Dolus using these sheets and they definitely help speed up the game.

Here is the original:

Regarding the wrong forum, there is an X button next to your title which can mark the thread 'wrong forum'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
1awesomeguy wrote:
PimpMario wrote:
Dolus wrote:

I think he meant that he finds it readable. I've played with Dolus using these sheets and they definitely help speed up the game.

Here is the original:

Regarding the wrong forum, there is an X button next to your title which can mark the thread 'wrong forum'.

I printed that off and found it completely unreadable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
What is unreadable about it? Is it too small? Poorly worded? Not easy to find the house your looking for or interpret?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check your printer settings? most print in some sort of 'default' settings which aren't always the max DPI that your printer supports. Set it to the max DPI. Mine's just a simple inkjet printer that does 600dpi, and that's perfectly readable. If you work in an office, print it off there on the office printer's max DPI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dolus wrote:
What is unreadable about it? Is it too small? Poorly worded? Not easy to find the house your looking for or interpret?

I guess I wasnt very clear. I apologize. It is too small, even on my computer screen when I enlarge it, it is too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
Since you can look at your opponents un-played cards any time it seems like deciding if to attack AND then deciding what cards to play are the biggest time waster.

I perceive one of the problems to be that you just aren't quite sure what special abilities are in your opponents hand which is why people often look at their opponents hands. Special abilities don't add any "randomness or luck" because they are knowledge you have before the attack.

Has anyone tried a variant where you don't use special abilities?

I think that ignoring special abilities would take away a lot from the game (and would mess up relative power of the cards if casualty and fortification icons are kept).

The variant I've used that works well is "players can't look at each other's hands". Simple and very effective at speeding up the game.
We let players check discard piles to see what numbers have been played, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderic Day
msg tools
mb
Did you ever get a chance to try this out? I agree that it may make the game A LOT faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.