GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Battle Beyond Space» Forums » General

Subject: GenCon Release? Variants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rolfs
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm excited to add this epic space battle game to my collection and wanted to inquire how the game printing was coming along? Does anyone know if BBS will be available for purchase at GenCon?

Also, while the main game play alone is reason enough to purchase, will the game include any variant styles of play? Space monsters or black holes to contend with? Just thought I'd ask while we all patiently await the final release.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking on Gencon, but the timing seems plausible. I'm looking on dragging my butt up there to show it off.

Zev did make two pre-production copies, and presented me with one last week at Trashfest. Sadly, I have yet to rescue it from the clutches of the evil Steve Avery, or else there would be photos plastered everywhere.

Variants...I have in fact failed y'all in that regard. I've tried creating a few but so far:

1. The addition of extra objects is pretty easy using the base scenario. Problem is, at the moment, I am spending more of my time playing with new players. And you really don't need them. Even having played the game a LOT over the years, I'm not entirely jonesing for them.

In practice, I do tend to avoid expansions and optional rules, so I'm probably going to suck at creating them.

--------------------------
That said, I have been trying desperately to get one particular scenario to work and I've yet to get an even reasonably close to functional of interesting-seeming ruleset.

The idea is to make a 3-on-1 variant. The three get the usual fleets and powers. The 1 gets a giant shmup-boss-battleship board that moves slowly across the map. Something with lots of turrets and a custom deck of special attack cards...turned up so you always see the special attacks for the next round. (Because end-level bosses ALWAYS telegraph their attack patterns. It 's a rule.)

It sounds cool, but I've yet to quite figure out how to fit all of those elements together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
fbranham wrote:
Checking on Gencon, but the timing seems plausible. I'm looking on dragging my butt up there to show it off.

Zev did make two pre-production copies, and presented me with one last week at Trashfest. Sadly, I have yet to rescue it from the clutches of the evil Steve Avery, or else there would be photos plastered everywhere.

Variants...I have in fact failed y'all in that regard. I've tried creating a few but so far:

1. The addition of extra objects is pretty easy using the base scenario. Problem is, at the moment, I am spending more of my time playing with new players. And you really don't need them. Even having played the game a LOT over the years, I'm not entirely jonesing for them.

In practice, I do tend to avoid expansions and optional rules, so I'm probably going to suck at creating them.

That said, I have been trying desperately to get one particular scenario to work and I've yet to get an even reasonably close to functional of interesting-seeming ruleset.

The idea is to make a 3-on-1 variant. The three get the usual fleets and powers. The 1 gets a giant shmup-boss-battleship board that moves slowly across the map. Something with lots of turrets and a custom deck of special attack cards...turned up so you always see the special attacks for the next round. (Because end-level bosses ALWAYS telegraph their attack patterns. It 's a rule.)

It sounds cool, but I've yet to quite figure out how to fit all of those elements together.

It needs to have a trench and exhaust port weak spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
fbranham wrote:

It needs to have a trench and exhaust port weak spot.

Nah. Too obvious.
I'm thinking either in the shape of some kind of bizarre sea creature (Darius), or a giant hand (Star Crash)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a brief update from Zev. The game is expected to ship from the factory on July 14th. That means that Gencon is still a vast unknown, but they are checking on either rolling the dice or air shipping a few in for purchase.

In either case, Zev will have one of the preproduction copies available for sale. I'm still mostly intending to drive up there in what amounts to a minivan full of game designers, in which case I'll be running some demos. That becomes near certain if there are copies for sale.

(The only catch is that we are moving on the 20th, and starting to prep the old house for sale. Vacation, finances, and time scheduling are practically down to the dollar and hour on some days at the moment. Fortunately, Launius has worked out cheap ways to do Gencon, and always books things at the last minute. So I have options. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So. I will be at Gencon Friday and early Saturday. I will be helping to demo the game at the Zman booth. Zev's checking on flying in copies for sale.

(Friday will likely be the terrifying 80's van-airbrush-looking shirt that is easily the best $3 I ever spent. It looks like a Journey album cover run through a bad D&D filter.)

(So how hard is is to register for True Dungeon this late?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on a somewhat solid release date so i can give you all my monies???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will not get a solid release "date". The vagaries of final print drying, packing ,shipping, and customs can vary the actual printing by as much as 1-2 months. Anyone who announces a release date is either wishing, or practically has a boat offshore with the games with enough buffer to cover the remainder.

That will be followed with an agreement with retailers and distributors to have the copies sit around until the "date".

That said, I'm hearing late August-ish for the full boat. Zev is looking at getting 60 copies flown over for sale at Gencon. Will keep the thread posted as I get actual solid details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, really looking forward to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.