GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Gaming with my 7 year old son... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Kuzava
United States
Minooka
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Puerto Rico. He's picked up the mechanics of the games quite well. He even wins from time to time. Looking for any suggestions for what to try with him next. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 is pretty fun, and I don't think you son should have much trouble learning it from your description. I also enjoyed playing Stratego as a kid (and I still enjoy it, but games like Napoleon's Triumph satisfy me more now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into the D&D games like Castle Ravenloft. If your son can read well he will enjoy rolling dice and beating up monsters. My 7 year old asks to play it all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic - Cooperative game where you are getting attacked by trolls, orcs, and goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend:

Labyrinth (my daughters are now 13 and 11, and they still ask to play)

10 Days in Asia (or any of the 10 days series, I prefer Asia over the others because it has railroads)

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Laver
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What sorts of things is your son interested in?
Picking a light to medium weight game with a theme that excites him might be a good place to start.

As for suggestions, I can also vouch for some of those above. I have two girls, 6 and 7 1/2 yrs, and we have a great time with Castle Panic and Labyrinth.

Castle Panic is a good bet to appeal to boys and can be very easily customised for difficulty level and game length to suit the players abilities and attention span. Another good cooperative game that we really enjoy, and is also is great value for money, is Forbidden Island. If your son is comfortable with direct conflict in a game (which can be tough even for a lot of adults!), Small World might be worth a look.

I haven't tried this one out yet, but I was thinking of getting Quarriors! for my 10 yr old nephew. It looks like a lot of quick fun with great dice and might be good for you and your son.

Have fun picking some great new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are addicted to Labyrinth as well.

If he does good on Puerto Rico, Agricola should also be in his reach.

Our family likes Tsuro which is a great one to mix in with other non-gamers and Through the Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kuzava
United States
Minooka
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
Castle Panic - Cooperative game where you are getting attacked by trolls, orcs, and goblins.

Picked up Castle Panic tonight. Played a couple games and even my youngest son (5 yrs old) loves it. They both can't wait to play again tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Forbidden Island my son has loved the game ever since we first found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Forbidden Island. My seven year old son and I also play Smallworld and Smallworld Underground.

I'd also recommend co-op games. We have a hoot playing Fortune and Glory. Also, we are playing through in order the Lord of the Rings:The Card game and the expansions. He is looking forward to the all-dwarf questing in Khazad-dum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hendry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we are a bit more in to fantasy games at my house but most of all the games my kid has seemed to pick up on them really fast, even with games that reqiure some reading. the games we play are:
DungeonQuest (third edition) easy to learn all i have to do is read the card to them once in awhile remind her about her cards and ability.
Runebound (Second Edition) my kid loves this game i think it deals with rolling the dice. a bit harder a lot of reading, but she has been playing it since she was 4 and she has caught on and know what she wants.
Catan i bought the kid version of this game but she plays the normal game just as well. usually take out the cards, but she has learned what they are by just the pictures.
Lords of Waterdeep new to the collection she dose really well some reading but she has learned to make the bold letters of the quest cards. also attack means play on someone and ability is good for her, sometimes she runs in to trouble but she does decent at the game.
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus no reading at all, she know which character she likes and stays with it.
also some other 7 might be getting too old but maybe not
Animal Upon Animal
Clue
Gobblet
Nine Men's Morris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kuzava
United States
Minooka
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:
I'd go with Forbidden Island my son has loved the game ever since we first found it.

Picked up Forbidden Island on Saturday and played a couple games. Both boys love it as well. Thinking about trying Small World or The aMAZEing Labyrinth next. Thanks again for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.