GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so we've done pretty much all of the 4 player scenarios and a 2 player one so we went on to do the SAGS, but only to find the construction mechanism didn't seem to work out, so untill we can get that working we wish to try out one or two more 2 player scenarios.

Last time we did this we decided to play the other three players teamed against me, and as their starting CP was 15 we thought it was logical to split it between the players, so every starting phase they recieved 5 CP each plus character bonuses, and I recieved the standard bonus, and everything went smoothly.

However, this time we played 2v2, and the Norad side had a starting allowence of 15 CP between 3 characters and us Salemites had just 5 between 5 characters, so we split it taking into account the character bonuses and no. of characters we had each and their limits.

The problem is this - the other players noted that we adjusted how the CP was split for a current situation, and thought that it should be able to be ajusted every round considering how the players needs would change regarding their situation and surviving characters. I wasn't kean on the idea as the standard 4 player rules forbids this, and the rule the carries through with this, that is a player is knocked out of play their CP is died with them, would unbalence the game if it was removed, as without the rule if a player dies the other player will become inapproapietly overpowered in regards to the doubled base CP. CP overdosaged has caused problems in the past as in past games it meant the objective of killing characters became almost impossible as by having too much CP they were able to always win the interupt bids and run away before you could get a chance of attacking them, or otherwise lead to the player always being stacked up on all the best command tiles.

I felt that because of this I couldn't carry on with the game as it would mean I would be under pressure to avoid killing off certain characters to avoid the rest becoming overpowered and interupting every attack, which would contradict my objective (to kill all the characters), but the other players didn't want to play having to stick to a starting CP they decided upon in different circumstances.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
Looking at the setup for most 3 and 4 player scenarios, each player has 6 to 8 cp, and as low as 5, not counting the bonus cp from the characters. This is the case independent of the player controlling 1 or 2 characters.

In my group we have played 2 player scenarios with as many as 5 players. With 5 players we have added a character or two. It has worked fine, meaning it has been great fun.

So I would say that you should have each player receive 7 cp plus minus 1 depending of the scenario being easy or difficult (in your opinion).

And: if a player is out of the game because his character(s) is dead, the other player on the same team DOES NOT get that players starting cp. Those cp should go to the "bank".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
robo37 wrote:

Any ideas?

Well, why not just pool the CP?

Give each player on each side a character (or two) to play and activate them when necessary, just as though you were playing 1v1.

If the players are reasonable, they should be able to tell whether or not it's appropriate for their character to do anything. If the end up over analyzing things, you can nominate one character on each team as the squad leader and let them have the final say on who does what. (Which is exactly the situation you are simulating, if you think about it...) As a matter of fact, it could be fun to actually pretend that you are communicating by radio. So if Nick Bolter is the squad leader, Vasquez might radio in, "Nick, I need to get to the Armory," while "James Woo might radio in, "Nick, I need to search for a weapon." Then Nick says, "Jessica: go." And Jessica does whatever she wants...pick a new tile, play a tile, etc. So Nick doesn't micromanage the team, he's just the guy that prioritizes requests, if the next action isn't particularly obvious.

Pooling the CP is also important for duels. For critical situations I've often bid 7 or 8 CP to make sure I win an initiative or interrupt duel. It's hard to bid like that if the CP is divided up between all the characters.

This also reduces the likelihood that someone is knocked out of the game if their character dies. (And it's important that a character "take one for the team" from time to time...you wouldn't want to discourage suicidal behavior if it's good for the team.) As long as there are more characters than players, you can just give them some other character to run. Many of the 2 player scenarios have at least 3 characters on each side.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.