GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
90 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Storyteller audio disc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing the Origins video in which Colby himself demoes a game of Mice & Mystics, I've become even more acutely aware of the importance a good oral storyteller would make to this game's experience.

I don't know if the idea has been discussed before but seeing as how the story is so critical to the enjoyment of the game, I think it would be tremendous if Plaid Hat could develop professional (or just really well done) narrative audio clips for the more extensive story segments for each of the adventures. Music and sound effects could also be added to enhance the mood prior to the game segments.

Admitting that I'm not a gifted storyteller would be an understatement so having such audio clips would help negate the sense of trepidation people like me would have in trying to get this game played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Grak !
mbmbmbmb
That's not a terrible idea. It'd probably increase the production costs quite a bit so maybe it could be something purchased separately for those who want it.

I'd love to hear Morgan Freeman's voice reading about heroic mice.

edit: I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but David Attenborough is the perfect person to do this. Get on this, Colby and company. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea!

I'd like to recommend that you consider Eric Summerer from The Dice Tower for this. He seems like the perfect fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Easier

Fairport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I imagined the narrator from Bastion. Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea, I can see them offering it as a CD for extra cost or offer them for reduced price/free on their website. I could see this driving more sales if they offer it as a pre-order bonus. I would not think that it would be that expensive to produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fantastic idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloads would be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason Im now imagining some 90s VHS board game version of Mice & Mystics...

Star Trek: The Next Generation – Interactive VCR Board Game – A Klingon Challenge and Atmosfear: The Harbingers. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excelent idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be neat is if the Story Book was interactive when in digital form. You have a little icon of a speaker next to the story moments. You tap on it and the story is read for you by Morgan Freeman or Sigourney Weaver.... Hehe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet idea. Since I've recently been listening to the Song of Ice & Fire series on audiobooks, I'd put a vote in for Roy Dotrice. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like this idea A LOT.
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
We need an iOS/Android app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*drool*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
We need an iOS/Android app!

No!!!!

Sorry, but I want to share a huge no, no, no, no on this.

Why?

Because I really want this audio to come out and to come out quickly. A voice actor can do this extremely fast and they can put up mp3s to purchase or download immediately following. Think around a month to make this happen.

An app on the other hand will take a month before the developers can even book the time to begin to work on the project. Then there's the the definition of the development which will greatly escalate from audio tracks into something more interactive. Cool yes, but bigger. Then the seasons will change, and it's 2013 before you know it and we get the iOS release.

This is then followed with moans and groans from the Android community who feel slighted and bring up all kinds of wacky biased statistics proving that there are are more Androids then people on the planet. The developers then say, "wow that's impressive", and pump out the Android version in a record breaking 3 months (the second time around is always easier hence the shorter development time frame).

Then of course, someone says, "hey man, what about the rest of us without $100/month phone plans, can't we get something?" Plaid Hat then says, "hey they're right" and works on a downloadable mp3 version and 2 to 4 weeks later it's released.

It's now June 2013 and everyone is happy. Sort of.

Granted, I exaggerated, but not too much. The reality is that a cool app sounds great, but please if it is to happen, please make that a phase 2 as I'd prefer to have the audio when the game is still hot and in my mind rather than a year later.

I also already have an "app" that plays audio so I can easily pretend that it's an app as well. Chapters and references as song titles and I click on the appropriate one to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Plaid Hat already has a swell podcast. Maybe they could release it in that format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.F. Sesma
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not that I think that Colby was a bad reader, I've heard worse people muttering and stuttering all over the text sometimes. But I agree with the OP that if you don't have a good storyteller, the gameplay could be hindered, a Audio CD with the box seems a neat idea.

Rather than Morgan or Earn Jones doing the audio why not a someone more reachable, have you heard the voice-acting that Rodney Smith (Watch it Played)does when he intro a game? It's damn too good and also the sound from the audio studio he uses in his series. Talk about a perfect match there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Dale would be my vote... He did a fine job on the Harry Potter Series i thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but I think what you really need is a voice actor and not a screen actor. Jim Dale is probably the best sugesstion so far. Wendee Lee would be excellent, IMHO (Aribeth from NWN). I'm sure there are several cartoon actors who would be cheaper and more accessible for a board game that anyone else mentioned so far. Going a bit out on a limb, I love the enthusiasm that Wheaton has injected into the game being played on Tabletop. I would be interested to see what he would do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Dale would indeed be fantastic but my hunch is that he'd also be pretty expensive.

Assuming that, my leaning is to an experienced audiobook reader / gamer which is why Eric Summerer immediately came to mind.

Wil Wheaton is also an excellent choice for the same reasons. I actually just finished listening to his reading of Ready Player One which I highly recommend checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croft
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about one of us just recording a chapter or two and asking Plaid Hat to host the download for the rest of us to access.

Anything would be better than nothing and may persuade Colby to get a professional to do it.

Bortz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bortz wrote:
How about one of us just recording a chapter or two and asking Plaid Hat to host the download for the rest of us to access.

Let the auditions begin!

This thread is stuffed with great suggestions. How about a child-like girl's voice as the narrator? That might lend a suitable sense of wonder and magic to the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
What would be neat is if the Story Book was interactive when in digital form. You have a little icon of a speaker next to the story moments. You tap on it and the story is read for you by Morgan Freeman or Sigourney Weaver.... Hehe!

or Christoper Walken!

I support an iOS/android storybook, but for the sake of speed release, mp3 or podcast is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
How about a child-like girl's voice as the narrator? That might lend a suitable sense of wonder and magic to the story.

Except that the story is being told by Daz Bellows to his son, so wouldn't it be best to keep with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:
How about a child-like girl's voice as the narrator? That might lend a suitable sense of wonder and magic to the story.

Except that the story is being told by Daz Bellows to his son, so wouldn't it be best to keep with that?

Ah, I see your point but that would strangely disallow a significant portion of gamers from playing the game fully. I personally wouldn't have any problem with a female voice as the narrator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.