GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

The Manhattan Project» Forums » General

Subject: Manhattan Project Deluxe KS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Would any of you want to support a kickstarter for a Deluxe pimpped out version of Manhattan Project? Say with metal coins, actual worker figures, bomb markers the shape of bombs or mushroom clouds, new nations, etc? How about thicker player boards? Larger cards? Spy tokens?

I'm toying with the idea of making $75 or $90 version of the game with these options/stretch goals. Would that be of interest to anyone here?

If so, what other pimp out ideas would you like?

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
Would any of you want to support a kickstarter for a Deluxe pimpped out version of Manhattan Project? Say with metal coins, actual worker figures, bomb markers the shape of bombs or mushroom clouds, new nations, etc? How about thicker player boards? Larger cards? Spy tokens?

I'm toying with the idea of making $75 or $90 version of the game with these options/stretch goals. Would that be of interest to anyone here?

James
I think the current boards and cards are fine, but if you were to offer a pimped out version of just the components (as well as the option to get the full game) I would probably go for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also be interested in more of just an upgrade pack. I would be annoyed if there was just a deluxe version when i already have the 1st edition and no way to upgrade it to nicer components.
Here are my ideas:
wooden meeples
sometype of non-carboard bomber\fighter tokens
nicer player boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I do love me some pimpin', but that might be a little steep for someone who already purchased the game. As mentioned above, an upgrade kit, a la Tammany Hall, might be a great way to go.

Regardless, more nations, on their own, would be an auto-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in an upgrade kit to pimp out my existing copy of Manhattan Project.

Also, more Nations cards would be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Hernandez
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I would be interested in an upgrade kit to pimp out my existing copy of Manhattan Project.

Second That!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, interesting. We could consider an upgrade kit only as a pledge option I guess.

One thing that is a tough issue, most of the interesting figures would have to be plastic but many people dislike plastic. So do you go with less detail wood or high detail plastic? Plastic is much more expensive (as you need to make a mold and each color you produce requires a cleaning/reset between each.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:

James

Too steep for me. I'll stay with the copy I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrade pack for me too. I'd probably want plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, but not entirely sure how this relates, invariably when I break this out, someone comments that they wish the board was a touch bigger. I agree, especially the slots for building cards.

This alone wouldn't likely be enough to purchase another edition, but might be something to consider for a 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The workers in this game just scream for plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No_Problem .
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacko_kun wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

Second That!

Depending on the price + shipping cost to EU, I would "third that"!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Problem wrote:
jacko_kun wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

Second That!

Depending on the price + shipping cost to EU, I would "third that"!!
Anything "new" (as in content, not a new version made of better stuff) should be made available on its own as well, in case there are people with the game that don't want anything upgraded, but would love new content. (I'm not one of those people though, unfortunately for my wallet...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker that loves to throw money at game companies, so I would be in for either an upgrade pack or a full deluxe version. I have no preference between wood or plastic, so if wood makes it cheaper I'd go for that.

Can I suggest including uranium rods as a stretch goal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:

Sure you can, what would they replace or be used for? The Yellow Cake?

What do you all feel about stickered wood? That would keep the iconic worker art but also have a thick wood chunk to pickup and place.

I'm not someone who would want to have exclusives that you can only get at KS. You'd be able to buy them at our website or BGG or some conventions.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
While two months ago my answer would have been different, today I'm not certain there is anything that would have me go for a "deluxe" version.

I got those nice poker chips for money which'll now probably be standard in all my games.

The money is probably the biggest problem with the game, as you need more $1s to avoid having to constantly make change. They are thin & small and hard to pick up. But I've already solved those problems for myself.

The other problem with the money is the range is low value (the highest thing in the game is $20) I don't know if you need to add one 0, two 0s, or even 3 or 4 zeroes to the end of each value to make money as "rare" as it is in-game. But any such change would break compatibility with the existing game.

And for me, I'm not certain any change to the worker/meeples would be an improvement, instead of breaking the .. uh .. er .. atmosphere of the game.

While the problem hasn't actually occurred in our plays, another 10 yellowcake would completely eliminate the worry that the bank might run out of it.

Having a rules-reminder card (like the one on the back of the barcode for the Nations expansion) for each player would be nice.

For play setup, having 5 cards, that are:
1. You're first player, you start with 4 laborers, $10, a fighter and a bomber.
2. You're second player, you start with 4 laborers, $12, a fighter and a bomber.
3. You're third player, you start with 4 laborers, $14, a fighter and a bomber.
4. You're fourth player, you start with 4 laborers, $12, a fighter, a bomber, and your choice of either a scientist or an engineer.
5. You're fourth player, you start with 4 laborers, $14, a fighter, a bomber, and your choice of either a scientist or an engineer.

put them on the reverse side of the rules reminder card, put the rule side up and have each player choose his reminder card, getting his turn order on the back.

Another thing that'd be nice is some easy place that says how many points you need to win the game, without looking at the rulebook. (Yes I know it is in there twice, and one of those is the back cover...) Something that is out on the board for everyone to see, and not the list, but how many you're playing for this game. Handling people who want variant totals as well would be nice, too.

Back to components.

The workers are fine, the yellowcake and money issues I've already covered. Let's talk about the track markers. They can't be made any smaller, but they're too big for the tracks they're on. When multiple are on the same square, you have to stack them, and you almost always need the one on the bottom, and you're quite likely to knock another one out of place; this applies to both P&U as well as the filmstrip for spies. One solution (which I don't like but have to give some solution), is a pegboard (like used for guesses in Mastermind, incase I've used the wrong term), where each player has their own column for each of the 3 tracks. Solutions are limited without changing the board.

A mini-board for the bomb market.

While I don't really play with Nations, I'd very likely get a Nations II expansion. I'd also consider an extension, which while you could play it with more players, is really so that you can play with the color you want.

Some of the above can be done with a KS as an upgrade pack, which then improves all future printings of the game. An upgrade pack is also a way to get me to pay for the fixed starting universities, which to be certain all backs match, might mean sending all 6 starters...

Now that I've typed all that, I might someday (next February is early if I make any attempt to say within a budget) go for a deluxe edition. And what would I want in it?
1. More yellowcake.
2. The prices fixed for psychological reasons.
3. Larger cards (so they're easier to shuffle)
4. Larger player boards (so the larger cards fit, plus possibly other rules-text.
5. Larger mainboard (larger cards in building market [put bribe Icons so they're visible when the card is in place], the bomb market/display, a better handling of the P/U/Spy tracks.
6. A more functional box insert
7. A bigger/sturdier box for all the above (my original was slightly damaged, I didn't notice immediately, didn't care too much once I noticed, and now that it has gotten worse and expanded, I can't ask for a replacement; but if I'm paying again for something I already owe, I will be inspecting it carefully for such minor imperfections on arrival).
8. And obviously a rulebook that's fixed the 2? 3? errata. If Deluxe includes Nations, then having that in the rulebook too (and using the extra page for examples of corner cases).

Oh right, the current player marker, spiff that up somehow.

Edit: My god, I spent two hours on that, look at all those new comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lot of great input. Thanks!
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely would like an upgrade kit as an option and my preference would be for plastic.

I was wondering is the 2nd printing still expected to be available in August?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadseah4 wrote:
I was wondering is the 2nd printing still expected to be available in August?

Yes... but the printing is kind of out of my hands as we're partnering with Queen games this time and so I'm not directly in the loop with the printer. That makes me a tad nervous but I've been promised some for GenCon even if they have to be air-mailed in. We'll see.

They will be at the DriveThruRPG booth and probably the Queen Games booth and I'll personally be in the board game rooms running scheduled and non-scheduled demos.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I would favor plastic over wood is because MP workers remind me of the spacemen from Galaxy Trucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
3dicebombers wrote:

Sure you can, what would they replace or be used for? The Yellow Cake?

James

No, I meant actual rods of uranium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Theissen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an unopened box on the shelf of unplayed games that we just received last week. It would be pretty disturbing for a $75 variant to be released so soon after dropping $50. With that said I also am in favor of an upgrade pack and would be happy to Kickstart it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested, particularly by a larger board and cards. I like the worker art and I'd be sorry to see it get changed.

It has always seemed odd to me that money and yellowcake are held by the individual players, while uranium and plutonium are tracked on the main board. That could perhaps be changed in the new edition. Or if the fissionable-tracks are enlarged, you could give each player a couple of mushroom clouds to track uranium and plutonium. Likewise a spy-meeple for the espionage track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uranium and plutonium were put on the main board for 2 reasons. 1) to save money. 2) to make it easy to compare with each other. For the upgrade kit I don't see a problem including some wood bits to represent those resources though.

It's very unlikely that we'd redo the main board and all the cards to a larger size. Just too much work and costs.

So, I think the best direction is a pimp-out kit of bits and some cards.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The tracks impose a limit of 8 uranium and 8 plutonium for each player. If a personal supply counter were substituted for these resources, I expect that some players would find it bothersome to have to remember that they are limited to 8 of each. (I also expect that at times this rule would be forgotten.) The tracks make this limit impossible to overlook.

A similar question some players have is "Why are the fighter/bomber tracks on the player boards while the u/p tracks are on the main board?" This is mainly due to ergonomics. When you produce a fissionable, you may have to adjust - at most - one stack to fish your counter out of it. When you launch an air strike, however, you may have to move counters around for several players - not only yours. This would be tedious on a common track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.