GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Kingdom Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Re: "Horizontal" to whom/what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when scoring the Kingdom cards (discoveries and knights), are they scored based on "horizontal ref to the player doing the scoring"?...assume we have square table and 4 players playing...player 1 scores horizontally (left-to-right or right-to-left), and now it's player 2's turn to score the same "discoveries" card; does player 2 have to use player 1's "board orientation" (player 1's row would look vertical to player 2), or is player 2 simply looking for horizontal based on his/her view of the board (which would appear vertical to player 1)? thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
John_VW wrote:
when scoring the Kingdom cards (discoveries and knights), are they scored based on "horizontal ref to the player doing the scoring"?...assume we have square table and 4 players playing...player 1 scores horizontally (left-to-right or right-to-left), and now it's player 2's turn to score the same "discoveries" card; does player 2 have to use player 1's "board orientation" (player 1's row would look vertical to player 2), or is player 2 simply looking for horizontal based on his/her view of the board (which would appear vertical to player 1)? thanks...

The horizontal lines are the ones that are straight lines of hexes, not wavy, and not diagonal. For example in this image, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1082933/kingdom-builder, the top horizontal line has a canyon and then 9 deserts. Those are the horizontal lines. That line is horizontal no matter where you are sitting and whether the board was used upside-down or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
every line in that image (L to R, or R to L) is horizontal...and if i'm sitting to the right og that board (let's say player #4) and i look at that row you mentioned, it's vertical to me from where i'm sitting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both.

It doesn't matter where you sit when determining the horizontal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
correct on both.
sorry, but which part...which post? (smile)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so, what matters is what is horizontal "to me"...correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There are 3 axes on a hex grid. Only the axis which runs parallel to sides of the board is the one which counts as "horizontal".

This is independent of which player you are or where you are sitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
The horizontal lines are the same no matter where you sit. They are determined by the designer to be the rows that extend east to west when you set the board up. If you look at the image Donal linked, imagine a compass rose. North would be at the top in that image. The horizontals are composed of hexes that run in a line from east to west.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ...sorry, but i'm not seeing axes (or axis) on my boards?? trying to figure this out since we're playing our first game tonight, and this simple part def has me stumped...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
The horizontal lines are the same no matter where you sit. They are determined by the designer to be the rows that extend east to west when you set the board up. If you look at the image Donal linked, imagine a compass rose. North would be at the top in that image. The horizontals are composed of hexes that run in a line from east to west.

so everyone has to score based on the orig board orientation (horz for players 1 and 3 poss, whereas the same orientation may look vertical to players 2 and 4 from where they sit)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try and setup the board and have a look. It's easier to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
so, what matters is what is horizontal "to me"...correct?

This is NOT correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
The red lines I've superimposed on this image are the horizontal lines. It doesn't matter which side of the table you're sitting on. The lines I've marked are the "horizontal" ones, even though they will appear vertical to people that are sitting to the sides of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no vertical lines in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
russ...sorry, but i'm not seeing axes (or axis) on my boards?? trying to figure this out since we're playing our first game tonight, and this simple part def has me stumped...

Imagine drawing lines from the center of a hex to the centers of the 6 neighboring hexes.

Do you see/agree that this will create 3 lines (each made of a pair of drawn lines going in opposite directions)?

\ /
- -
/ \

Those are the 3 axes. Exactly one of them is parallel to sides of the map. That axis is the "horizontal" direction of the goal card in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page two of the rules there is a diagram which shows a horizontal line to be one of the twenty straight lines of hexes running left to right across the longer axis of the rectangle formed by the four boards. Thus there are twenty horizontal lines of twenty hexes each. The base orientation is the original set up of the board, which remains fixed throughout the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
On page two of the rules there is a diagram which shows a horizontal line to be one of the twenty straight lines of hexes running left to right across the longer axis of the rectangle formed by the four boards. Thus there are twenty horizontal lines of twenty hexes each. The base orientation is the original set up of the board, which remains fixed throughout the game.
that's what i thought all along...but in all honesty the game simply could have explained that part a little better...thanks guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
matt_k wrote:
Thus there are twenty horizontal lines of twenty hexes each.

So you can then score a maximum of 20 points with horizontal placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
matt_k wrote:

That is true.

EDITED TO RE-CORRECT: You can score 20 Knight hexes with horizontal placement, i.e. 40 points. Doh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
caltexn wrote:
matt_k wrote:

That is true.

Well, that is true for Discoverers (ugg, hate that word...). Knights could theoretically score up to 40 in one horizontal line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Discoverers can score up to 20 because there are 20 horizontal lines, not because there are 20 hexes in each horizontal line. The Knights can score up to 40 because there are 20 hexes in each horizontal line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit confusing to read without context, but if you actually look at the board there's only one direction that could conceivably be called horizontal, insomuch as the board is basically rectangular which implies that horizontal should be parallel to one of the edges of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Jærtegn" by Solbrud
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
russ wrote:
There are 3 axes on a hex grid. Only the axis which runs parallel to sides of the board is the one which counts as "horizontal".
John_VW wrote:
russ...sorry, but i'm not seeing axes (or axis) on my boards??

Well, John, you know "axes" is plural for "axis", yeah?

John_VW wrote:
matt_k wrote:
that's what i thought all along...but in all honesty the game simply could have explained that part a little better...thanks guys...

So, did you figure it all out, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep...got it now...thanks everyone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.