GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,384 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Confrontation: The Age of the Rag'Narok» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cost of Familiars? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Donnell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 57 of the rulebook is specifies "Each Incarnate magician can be accompanied by a number of familiars equal to or lower to his Rank.", but there is no cost associated with using a familiar. Can anyone point out if there is a cost for including a familiar and where is reflected in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better late than never, but....

I couldn't find anything in the rules either, but, in the prior version of the rules (Confrontation 3rd Edition), all the familiars cost 15 points each. I have 5 of the 6 in metal and that's the same regardless of type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
Chaz Donnell wrote:
On page 57 of the rulebook is specifies "Each Incarnate magician can be accompanied by a number of familiars equal to or lower to his Rank.", but there is no cost associated with using a familiar. Can anyone point out if there is a cost for including a familiar and where is reflected in the rulebook?

This is a great question, which I believed I have solved. Judging by the rulebook and the fact there is no associated cost anywhere in any book for familiars, I believe this MRB text says it all:

"Familiars are considered to be both attributes and fighters. However, just like Incarnates, they do not count towards the unit’s number of fighters."

Therefore, you have to spend attribute points for them, which means you will have to select a clever balance of artifacts, communions, rituals, and familiars when selecting an incarnate magician. Too many familiars and you won't even have any attribute points left to use for spells to cast!

Pros: They will give you considerably more mana.

Cons: They do not count towards unit strength for Courage tests. They die easily. They take away from other attributes your incarnate could possess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.