GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game but I find myself following the same path nearly every time because it seems to work: quarrying plus engineering and then quickly building monuments.

So, I have a suggestion that seems like it would add some variety. Somehow have a goal card that must be drawn at random that contains 2 developments you must purchase before game end. You would then be forced to adapt your strategy to the developments you have drawn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a pretty good idea. You could actually go a slightly different direction with this and have something on the order of the Twist cards in Nefarious. Slight tweaks to the rules. Maybe in one game all monuments are worth 2 pts extra, or all coin rolls are worth 9, or you can't use a certain development, etc.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it would make it a funnier game. Otherwise all games are quite similar.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea. Can I suggest you throw in some cards that say you have to build certain wonders?

Should these goals be required to win? Or would they just lead to extra points? Would you still play with the game ending on the 5th development?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
I really like this idea. Can I suggest you throw in some cards that say you have to build certain wonders?

Should these goals be required to win? Or would they just lead to extra points? Would you still play with the game ending on the 5th development?


If David doesn't mind me running with his idea and modifying it it into something like I suggested, and provided Gryphon games doesn't mind a user-generated print and play expansion, I wouldn't be opposed to creating some "twist" cards as a side project. It would be interesting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
ElCid91 wrote:
I really like this idea. Can I suggest you throw in some cards that say you have to build certain wonders?

Should these goals be required to win? Or would they just lead to extra points? Would you still play with the game ending on the 5th development?


If David doesn't mind me running with his idea and modifying it it into something like I suggested, and provided Gryphon games doesn't mind a user-generated print and play expansion, I wouldn't be opposed to creating some "twist" cards as a side project. It would be interesting.


Oh I dont mind at all. And i think this would work best with the Late Bronze Age that already has the extra developments and the game doesnt end until someone buys 7 developments. And yes, I think you should get bonus points if you purchase/build whatever is on your card and get minus points if you dont. Good grief, this is starting to sound like Ticket to Ride. Maybe you guys can think of some other twists that could be featured on the cards? And do you think it would be better if everyone draws a different card or would it be better to draw one or two "community" cards that affect everyone?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone gets a different card, I think the goal should be secret.

How about some that have bonuses for NOT doing something, like not developing agriculture.

I would also go with it either plus points OR negative points, not both. That might make the cards too powerful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
ElCid91 wrote:
I really like this idea. Can I suggest you throw in some cards that say you have to build certain wonders?

Should these goals be required to win? Or would they just lead to extra points? Would you still play with the game ending on the 5th development?


If David doesn't mind me running with his idea and modifying it it into something like I suggested, and provided Gryphon games doesn't mind a user-generated print and play expansion, I wouldn't be opposed to creating some "twist" cards as a side project. It would be interesting.


Oh I dont mind at all. And i think this would work best with the Late Bronze Age that already has the extra developments and the game doesnt end until someone buys 7 developments. And yes, I think you should get bonus points if you purchase/build whatever is on your card and get minus points if you dont. Good grief, this is starting to sound like Ticket to Ride. Maybe you guys can think of some other twists that could be featured on the cards? And do you think it would be better if everyone draws a different card or would it be better to draw one or two "community" cards that affect everyone?


My gut feel is that it would be easier to have a couple of community cards that apply to everyone. This would perhaps break up tried-and-true strategies and force people to try other things and would be easier to balance than a "card-per-player" setup. In fact, if you pick the right twists, I'm not sure it would require any sort of balancing other than to make sure the game still plays and isn't deadlocked for some reason due to the twist and to make sure the twists provide variation.

My initial thoughts are to gear it more toward rules tweaks than goals with bonus points, but I'll think on that some. Something like "if you haven't built 2 monuments by game end, lose 3 points" or something would seem simple enough.

Some initial thoughts I had are:

Wealth of Nations - Change the value of coin rolls to X
Forgotten in History - Lose X points if you haven't built Y monuments
Bureaucracy - Later cities cost 2 grain to support
Unknown - A certain disaster roll can destroy monuments, but monuments are worth a bit more due to the risk
Unknown - Development X is not available this game (one per development)
Unknown - Development X is enhanced in a certain way
Unknown - End condition of a certain number of points instead of standard end conditions
Unknown - The second person to build a monument requires less people since somebody else figured it out
Unknown - the second person to build a monument requires X more people to make their version grander than their competitor, but receives the same points


I'm sure there are plenty more once I get the game out and start thinking, but with all the variations you could do to developments this list would make probably 20-30.


5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
ElCid91 wrote:
I really like this idea. Can I suggest you throw in some cards that say you have to build certain wonders?

Should these goals be required to win? Or would they just lead to extra points? Would you still play with the game ending on the 5th development?


If David doesn't mind me running with his idea and modifying it it into something like I suggested, and provided Gryphon games doesn't mind a user-generated print and play expansion, I wouldn't be opposed to creating some "twist" cards as a side project. It would be interesting.


Oh I dont mind at all. And i think this would work best with the Late Bronze Age that already has the extra developments and the game doesnt end until someone buys 7 developments. And yes, I think you should get bonus points if you purchase/build whatever is on your card and get minus points if you dont. Good grief, this is starting to sound like Ticket to Ride. Maybe you guys can think of some other twists that could be featured on the cards? And do you think it would be better if everyone draws a different card or would it be better to draw one or two "community" cards that affect everyone?


My gut feel is that it would be easier to have a couple of community cards that apply to everyone. This would perhaps break up tried-and-true strategies and force people to try other things and would be easier to balance than a "card-per-player" setup. In fact, if you pick the right twists, I'm not sure it would require any sort of balancing other than to make sure the game still plays and isn't deadlocked for some reason due to the twist and to make sure the twists provide variation.

My initial thoughts are to gear it more toward rules tweaks than goals with bonus points, but I'll think on that some. Something like "if you haven't built 2 monuments by game end, lose 3 points" or something would seem simple enough.

Some initial thoughts I had are:

Wealth of Nations - Change the value of coin rolls to X
Forgotten in History - Lose X points if you haven't built Y monuments
Bureaucracy - Later cities cost 2 grain to support
Unknown - A certain disaster roll can destroy monuments, but monuments are worth a bit more due to the risk
Unknown - Development X is not available this game (one per development)
Unknown - Development X is enhanced in a certain way
Unknown - End condition of a certain number of points instead of standard end conditions
Unknown - The second person to build a monument requires less people since somebody else figured it out
Unknown - the second person to build a monument requires X more people to make their version grander than their competitor, but receives the same points


I'm sure there are plenty more once I get the game out and start thinking, but with all the variations you could do to developments this list would make probably 20-30.





I like these ideas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.