GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,231 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Nightfall» Forums » General

Subject: New player: confusion about turn #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Mac
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I just purchased the game and I am a little confused about how the first turn is supposed to go; we're playing a two player game. The game has been all setup and I, for example, have the following 5 cards in my hand: Bad Smoke, JJ MCTeague x2, Enraged, Wight, and Genesis One. Do all 5 cards attack the other player, inflicting 7 damage, and then becoming discarded? What about playing one of the JJ McTeagues, discarding the other four cards, would that then give me six points of influence to gain more cards?

The instructions state "if you have any minions on play at the start of your turn you must use them" but I don't understand how one can have anything in play before a turn actually starts. How do cards target other player's cards? Are there cards that the other player will leave face up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raman Ohri
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't have any in play on turn 1. They come into play during the chain phase (yours or your opponents depending your ability to chain the colors). You will likely have some in play by your second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you are going first and it is the first turn, you won't have any minions in play so you skip the Combat phase and go to the Chain phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
nydavemac wrote:
Do all 5 cards attack the other player, inflicting 7 damage, and then becoming discarded?

No, cards in your hand are not yet in play and thus cannot attack.

nydavemac wrote:
What about playing one of the JJ McTeagues, discarding the other four cards, would that then give me six points of influence to gain more cards?

Yes, just keep in mind how chaining works: if you start the chain with J.J. you can then play another red card (small moon color) or pass. If you pass then your opponent has the chance to play a red card. When J.J. resolves you'll have to target a minion to damage, so make sure you're not the only one with minions in play at that time!

nydavemac wrote:
The instructions state "if you have any minions on play at the start of your turn you must use them" but I don't understand how one can have anything in play before a turn actually starts.

The first player won't have any minions in play on their first turn as they haven't yet had the chance to chain them out. Everyone else however can potentially attack on their first turn if they managed to chain cards on the first player's chain.

nydavemac wrote:
How do cards target other player's cards?

Effects like J.J.'s who actually say "target" in the text have their targets chosen when they resolve on the chain. When you attack in combat you don't attack individual minions but rather you attack the player and then the defending player chooses which of their minions block each of your attackers.

nydavemac wrote:
Are there cards that the other player will leave face up?

The only cards left face up are: archives (the stacks of cards for purchasing from), discard piles and any minions that have been placed into play.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.